Linde/Union Carbide HDA-300 Water Filter?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Linde/Union Carbide HDA-300 Water Filter?

I recently aquired a Linde/Union Carbide HDA-300 mounted on a water cooling cart of approximately 24gallon capacity (Bernard?) with a gear driven pump mounted on the rear. The machine is in excellent condition and welds great on Aluminum with my current air cooled TIG torch. I am looking to connect a WP-20 in the near future and am trying to sort out the water cooling system. There is a glass filter looking device on the rear of the cart just before the water return line enters the storage tank. My problem is that this glass cylinder is empty (No Filter). Is there supposed to be one in there, and if so, does anybody know where I can get a replacement? Also, the Linde owners manual recommends adding methanol to the distilled water for low temperature operation on high frequency. Has anyone tried methanol? The flammability issue scares me, but the price for the Miller Low Conductivity coolant is very expensive at 24 gallons. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Linde/Union Carbide HDA-300
    Hobart RC-250
    Lincoln AC-225
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Hobart Stickmate LX
    Victor OxyAcetylene

Re: Linde/Union Carbide HDA-300 Water Filter?

i have a lindy hda 200 and i dont have a filter on mine. have not had a problem yet. how well does your high freq work i am having problems with mine. and my phase shift rheostat has a bad spot in it im looking for a new rheostat but cant find one anywhere if you have any ideas please let me know.
    millermatic 210
    miller 375 xtream
    linde power supply hda 200 tig
    century 110 flux core
    lincoln buzz box
    let the work speak for itself i do!!!
    check mine out at http://www.eyepoppincustoms.com

Thanks for the info. My high frequency works great. I set the phase shift control to approximately the 2 o'clock position and I max out the intensity. Did you try cleaning the spark gap points? With regards to the water filter; do you have the "sight glass" mounted inline on the rear of the water cooling cart? Also, what kind of coolant are you running?
    Thanks.
    Hobart RC-250
    Lincoln AC-225
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Hobart Stickmate LX
    Victor OxyAcetylene

at the 2 o'clock position is where the bad spot is on my phase shift, and i did clean my gap points and it helped but i dont think there set right if i remember right they are supposed to be set at .006 i think. i dont have the whole cart i have a pump mounted on a plate that is on top of a bucket and i have straight distilled water. i know it sounds getto but it works great. i did replace the hyfreq capasiter and it helped but not much. the sight glass might be just that a sight glass so you can make sure there is water flowing.
    millermatic 210
    miller 375 xtream
    century 110 flux core
    lincoln buzz box

You are correct on the 0.006" gap. I have a PDF of the manual if you need it. It has part#'s for the rheostats and other parts. Maybe a local supplier can help if it's not still available from ESAB.
    Hobart RC-250
    Lincoln AC-225
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Hobart Stickmate LX
    Victor OxyAcetylene

i also have the pdf manual but none of the part #s are good, and esab was no help at all when i talked to them "its to old, good luck finding parts" is what they said to me. the local supplier around me had no clue about a rheostat of that size (voltage,ohms,watts). i have been surching for this part for about 6 to 8 months and have had no luck. i dont know what else to try.
    millermatic 210
    miller 375 xtream
    century 110 flux core
    lincoln buzz box

if you have any ideas or sources please let me know. ill keep checking on that sight glass on your water cooler cart
    Last edited by eyepoppin customs; 12-16-2008 at 11:33 PM.
    millermatic 210
    miller 375 xtream
    century 110 flux core
    lincoln buzz box

Quote Originally Posted by NYS3 View Post
    You are correct on the 0.006" gap. I have a PDF of the manual if you need it. It has part#'s for the rheostats and other parts. Maybe a local supplier can help if it's not still available from ESAB.
    I have just aquired an HDA-300, also.

I see you have a manual.
    Could I get a copy from you, please.
    Please email to blwATsympaticoDOTca
    Replace AT with @ and DOT with .

Thanks,
    Bob W.