Welding Spider Gears - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Welding Spider Gears

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    Totally ILLEAGAL no matter where you go.
    Getting caught = Banishment from the track for good.

...zap!
    Well, not in Mexico where most went. I was under the impression the ban from the race track stemmed from it being done to c-clip axles and the side gears shattering? I see no reason why it would be illegal in an IRS car since there is no chance of anything letting go? I know they're legal in auto-cross in the US like that..

I'm not arguing against your position, I've seen some bad stuff happen at tracks due to cost-cutting measures and lazy techs/lying owners. Just asking for some more information from your end!
    Miller: 200dx, Bobcat 225, Passport, Powermax 45, Milwaukee: Dry Saw, MagDrill, grinders

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Well, not in Mexico where most went. I was under the impression the ban from the race track stemmed from it being done to c-clip axles and the side gears shattering? I see no reason why it would be illegal in an IRS car since there is no chance of anything letting go? I know they're legal in auto-cross in the US like that..

I'm not arguing against your position, I've seen some bad stuff happen at tracks due to cost-cutting measures and lazy techs/lying owners. Just asking for some more information from your end!
    Read the NHRA rulebook.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

I have figured out that keeping everyone happy is nearly impossible but pissing people off is easy and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post

Where traction and horsepower are the two main ingredients the last thing you want is some farm rod welded gears grenading dense shrapnel out through the housing and dumping all that nasty 90w on the strip.

Ok, I'll bite. Why are the pinion gears even left in the carrier? "C" clip axle will need the pin to keep the clips in place. Once the side gears are welded, the pinion gears no longer serve a purpose. There is more surface area to weld at the side gear/carrier. Also, without the pinion gears, there is more room to possibly place more weldment to the gear/carrier. It's an extra step, but removing the ring gear gives better access to the other side gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had my old mustang that I welded the diff in, my truck has front and rear welded diffs that I have been driving for a while now.. Street, no issues other than obvious chirpage of tires.. You wil be fin,e just weld the piss out of it.. Thats what i have done many times and had no issues.

Had a spool in my racecar, (same as a welded diff or even a 'locker' when its locked) but they really push the car. Got a bitchin torsen diff and that thing is great!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    HTP Invertig 201
    Lincoln Idealarc SP250
    Miller 180 AC Stick

By farmall:
    They should have held the seagull closer to the work, squeezing evenly for best deposition.