Airco welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Airco welder

Airco welder

Heres a little more info on this old airco welder that i just cant seem to figure out.Has gas flow, has water flow, but can't get it to arc. The model number is 3A/DDR 24 HPA. It lookes to have a RFC 23A Foot pedal. Looked up diagram to make sure we wired it right. It was wired wrong so we wired it to the diagram and it didn't make a difference.Any more help would be great. Thanks.Here are some pics.

Name:  IMG_1912.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1914.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1915.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1918.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1919.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  39.1 KB

Re: Airco welder

I have an Airco as well.

I noticed you are set for AC welding (aluminum), but your high freq is set to "start" instead of "continuous."

DC set to "start"
    AC set to "continuous"

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210
    Dirty ugly tools - perfect

Are you able to stick weld with it? (no remote)
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

Along the same line as SquirmyPug, can you tig with the foot control unhooked, switches to standard, and high freq on?

Dave J.

EDIT: This is wrong, you will see SquirmyPug corrects me below.
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 03-11-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Along the same line as SquirmyPug, can you tig with the foot control unhooked, switches to standard, and high freq on?

Dave J.
    I don't think you can use the HF or argon solenoid without the pedal, thats why I asked about stick welding. It might just fry the tungsten. (I could be wrong)
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

Excellent point - I was basically thinking along the lines of scratch start like my old rig. You are likely right and it would not work.

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210

The very first thing I would do is shut the HF OFF, put controls to panel, put the copper knife switch in Metallic position & try to stick weld with it. You'll know right away if its a current problem or not.

Set it to panel on both contactor & remote, put a meter across the output terminals & check for OCV in AC as well as DC. then try setting the contactor & amperage to remote, then press the pedal down & check for OCV. Prolly gonna be in the 75-80 volts range. Also check the screw in fuse on the left side inner rail adjacent to the control panel. You will be able to tell if its blown. If it is, you may not have weld current.

Looks like there is an additional fuse in the lower right side rail under the panel door. I think that may protect an AUX 115 AC outlet. If you lost F2 in the back panel of the machine, it wouldn't turn on at all. Very likely the incorrect wiring of the foot control may have blew that fuse in the front panel.

Again, before doing any checks using a meter TURN THE HIGH FREQUENCY OFF!

Start there, then you can check the HF circuit for proper operation
    Last edited by 7A749; 03-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Your Airco was made by Miller and it is a 320 or 330 ABP. You can go to miller's web site and get an owner's manual. Post the serial number and a clear picture of the relay panel on the right side.
    I might have the diagram If you need it. To get HF and weld current the main contactor must pull in.
    The main weld contactor is controlled by the panel switch or the foot control. On a lot of these units the HF will come on with the panel switch. Gas should only come on with the foot control. although it may run with the post flow timer when you turn the welder on or switch to panel on.
    With HF turned off, What voltage to you get at the weld terminals in panel on and in remote on foot control on. If no voltage, did main weld contactor pull in? Are all levers in the correct places?

I checked all the fuses and they are good. In the pics o sent the welder was on the wrong setting. the reason was i tried it in all different settings to see if it would make a difference. i checked the volts going to the 3 prong plug and they all read 50 volts. No matter what possision they were in remote or standard. Even when I push down on the pedal it doesn't change. I checked the bottom 2 prong plug and it pulls 10 volts on either one.one thing I did notice is if I set the start circuit in instead of out I get a very small arc every once in a while. This machine is very complicated for a guy not experienced at all with a tig welder. I appreciate all the help fellas.

Also I checked the to see if I was getting power were the torch hooks up and it doesn't show anything

If you need one, I have a miller manual PDF that is likely the one you need.

PM me an email and I'll send it.

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210

My email is dustinbum21@yahoo.com thanks

Prolly best you take it in to service & have a qualified tech take a look at it.

I should have looked at the first pic a little closer. The knife switch on the left sideframe behind the HF component door has to be closed for tig (inert) and open (metallic) for stick welding. IT will NOT tig with it open. I know because I forgot to change mine back once.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by millrat; 03-13-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: forgot pic

Quote Originally Posted by millrat View Post
    I should have looked at the first pic a little closer. The knife switch on the left sideframe behind the HF component door has to be closed for tig (inert) and open (metallic) for stick welding. IT will NOT tig with it open. I know because I forgot to change mine back once.
    You are correct for some, but it depends on the year and model - some are up, some are down.

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210

Thanks. Good to know. I thought the 320 and 330's all had the same setup.

One of my manuals at home showed when the change happened. I will see if I can locate the info when I get home. Could help someone

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    One of my manuals at home showed when the change happened. I will see if I can locate the info when I get home. Could help someone

Dave J.
    Yup, they can be either way. Most I have seen (Miller branded units) are open for TIG, closed for metallic.

If I were him, I would just take it in. For $65 or so, he'll know exactly what is wrong with it. There's a lot of variables & it's difficult to troubleshoot something like this over the net, especially when the user has very little technical knowledge & may not be performing the checks correctly. Seen that happen more times than I care to say & it ended up being a tail chasing deal from the beginning.

I dunno.

IMHO of course

Yeah, my bad. I should've looked at the schematic before opening yap. Inert opens the circuit.

Here is the manual listing for the change on the balancing resistor switch.

Got my #1 son to load it on the computer instead of typing

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210

That's why I should've looked at the schematic. Mine is slightly younger than I. It has a flat bar positioner. Nut/bolt affair both ways, ergo my confusion. Learn a lot here.

My apologies for any confusion I may have caused

BTW, how do you get a PDF into a pic?????
    Last edited by millrat; 03-13-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: forgot to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by millrat View Post
    That's why I should've looked at the schematic. Mine is slightly younger than I. It has a flat bar positioner. Nut/bolt affair both ways, ergo my confusion. Learn a lot here.

BTW, how do you get a PDF into a pic?????
    My Airco is older than me. It's a 1963 model, I'm a 1970 vintage. Your bolted style switch must be even older.

I'm a fan of "older" equipment - most new stuff is just a fancy, breakage prone way of imitating the results of the old stuff.

I had my kiddo scan parts of the hard copy into a pic file. The one I sent the OP was an older manual that was digital already.

I also have a "snip" tool on my computer that lets me capture any part of the screen and save as a picture.

Dave J.
    Dave J.

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210

I'm a late '53 vintage. The machine is (CRS) '56 or '58.
    I agree, new ones hickup or burp, it's like one of the latest commercials "customer, how much you got" ?

I do understand why some of the technology needed to change, but we built tanks and battleships with the "old" tech. Several of which are still around today. Go figure.

Ahhhh. I need to change some settings on the scanner. The site won't accept PDF files.

Sooooo. Tell an "old guy" what a snip tool is. Better yet, PM me so I don't feel like I'm hijacking the thread.