Belt-driven Bench Grinder???
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Belt-driven Bench Grinder???

So I have a motor I am looking for a use for and have some questions.

Motor Specs:
    • Baldor - 2 HP
    • 115/220 VAC
    • 1725 RPM
    • 1.125" diameter shaft

I was thinking of maybe building a belt-driven bench grinder (my factory-built one is just about dead). Is ths a good idea, or does something like this not work as well as a factory-built unit? I know I would need to offset the pulley sizes to achieve a faster RPM on the grinder, but that should be easy enough to do.

So, has anyone done this before? Are there pictures / specs you could share? Or any other suggestions for the motor?

Thanks.
    Weekend Mig
    Backyard Mechanic
    Welder: DECASTAR 150E, Wire Feed w/ Gas Potential (not currently using gas)

Re: Belt-driven Bench Grinder???

Most grinders spin at 3450 rpm. I guess you could make or have made a shaft that would be threaded on the end and pass it though 2 pillow block bearing but by the time you made suitable tool rest and the required sheilding a new grinder would be cheaper.
    Tough as nails and damn near as smart

Depending on the wheel size you're looking to end up with 1725 might be nice actually.

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    Depending on the wheel size you're looking to end up with 1725 might be nice actually.
    Good point. The larger the wheel, the lower the rpm. Has to do with surface feet per minute and centrifugal force and complicated stuff like that.

I know a guy that was standing in front of a 12" grinder and turned it on and one wheel exploded. It destroyed his face. I started standing to the side when I turn on a bench grinder and wait until it's up to speed before moving in front of the wheel.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-30-2008 at 10:47 AM.

I did something like that a few years ago and worked fine ,the belt was on two pulleys of different sizes and one of them had a ball bearing in it that kept getting destroyed.
    you might be able to use this item I found on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Bench-Grinder-Arb...1%7C240%3A1318

Drive motor, pillow blocks and a jack shaft. What you're talking about used to be very common as long as bench space wasn't an issue. All the old farm barn shops used to have just what you're talking about. The more sleek motor designs have made the all-in-one more practicle is all.

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/pi...ckbearing.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    ...What you're talking about used to be very common as long as bench space wasn't an issue. All the old farm barn shops used to have just what you're talking about....
    I kinda forgot about those...

Some were a commercial built casting, that mounted two wheels; to which the DIYer would add his own motor.
    I wonder if you could still buy one?
    Most of ‘em used to rattle, because the plain bearings were worn out and loose in no time.

I will say that WeekendMig's 2HP motor would make for some serious grinder power.

Here, Google found one (hundred thousand) of 'em:

Attachment 25684
    Photo from: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/936892441.html

Better have quick hand - you'll probably have to give the wheel a spin, or the belt a tug, to start it!
    Last edited by denrep; 10-19-2010 at 11:37 PM.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

My dad just gave away one just like that to a friend of his. It was in better shape.

He had a larger grinder he intherited. It was powered by a 3 phase 20 hp motor and carried grinding stones that were at least 12 inches across by 3 inches wide. The problem? No 3 phase. It ended up in the scrap yard.
    Welders:
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Penncraft 230 (oldy but goody)
    HF Plasma 30 (Italian)
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy/Acetylene/Propane
    Lincoln SA200
    Everlast Power Tig 250 EX
    Everlast PowerUltra 205

Some were a commercial built casting, that mounted two wheels; to which the DIYer would add his own motor.
    I wonder if you could still buy one?
    Most of ‘em used to rattle, because the plain bearings were worn out and loose in no time.
    Those old ones were the 'skin remover' models. Back when safety lessons were a little more hands on (or off). Catch your loose shirt in one of those wire wheels just once------------...

I think the hand held grinders may have speeded up their demise too. Axes, shovels, sickle bars. Lots easier with a hand held.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Good point. The larger the wheel, the lower the rpm. Has to do with surface feet per minute and centrifugal force and complicated stuff like that.

I know a guy that was standing in front of a 12" grinder and turned it on and one wheel exploded. It destroyed his face. I started standing to the side when I turn on a bench grinder and wait until it's up to speed before moving in front of the wheel.
    This is taught in most good industrial schools. Reason? Wheel may be cracked from something striking it. Will fly apart when started.

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post

Attachment 25684

Better have quick hand - you'll probably have to give the wheel a spin, or the belt a tug, to start it!
    I have a setup very similar to this. I use only the wire wheel for cleaning pistons when I rebuild an engine. And yes, it will remove skin in a hurry.

Thanks so much for all the helpful informaiton and links. Looks like I've got a few differnet options to explore before I move ahead on this. I imagine I may have some more specific questions if I decide to go ahead with this, but we'll see where the "shop budget" ends up. This would be more of a "nice-to-have" than a necesity at this time.

Thanks again.
    Weekend Mig
    Backyard Mechanic

One more option, stub shaft:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Mechanic View Post
    One more option, stub shaft:
    Yeah, all the different suggestions got me thinking and looking around a bit more, and that's exactly what I ended up with - - a keyed shaft, pulley, 2 pillow blocks and 2 threaded arbour adaptors (1 RH thread and 1 LH thread).

Thanks.
    Weekend Mig
    Backyard Mechanic

Just keep your motor speed slow. We had one on the farm, would grind all day long with it, sharpening a 12' sickle bar for a mower or the sickle on the combine. I think the motor turned at 1750 with 1:1 pullies.

We got our stones from the blacksmith in town, charged us a heap less than what a new 8 inch stone would cost. About once a year, we would true up the face. Had a small 6" smooth stone on the other end of the big stone. Biggest problem was the vibration from the motor & belt. It all got transferred into the stones.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Considering the quality and cost of one piece bench grinders today (I'm not talking about the low buck chinese models available everywhere) I don't know that you could rig up a seperate motor and arbor rig any cheaper than you could just buy a bench grinder that takes up a lot less space.

Baldor and Milwaukee are very good. Those are the only ones I have experience with except B&D which were better but B&D only builds cheap tools now.

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post

Attachment 25684

Bought one like that on Monday for around $12. Looked like a real piece of crap hidden away in a second hand store in a god forsaken town. I was actually after the motor since electric motors are really scarce and expensive in this corner of the universe.

I was migthily surprised - yes, it suffered from a bit of vibration but that thing just kept on going. I prolly grinded for 90 minutes straight without the motor even heating up. My other bench grinder after 10 minutes I have to let it cool for about 20 mins - piece of junk.

I'm gonna restore this one to its former glory and keep it.