Exhaust fume control solutions?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Exhaust fume control solutions?

I have a Lincoln 200 and my neighbor is determined to keep me from practicing in my back yard.. Turned me into the city 3 times.. They said I wasnt Doing anything wrong now he called valley air pollution and they said I need to regulate my exhaust fumes to where he is not bothered by them... Anyone have any ideas.. I've thought of running a hose from my exhaust pipe but all I'm really going to be doing is re-routing it.. I was thinking maybe a filter system?

Re: Exhaust fume control solutions?

A filter system might work.

I'd recommend gluing a good 3-M respirator to your neighbor's face.

You could run a flex hose down into a barrel of water and let the exhaust bubble up through, then pour the water into the storm drain or on his lawn when you're done.
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE

Ahh the wonderful world of Cali...

I'd get all the references to the actual laws and start digging. I'm betting they are probably busting your chops with little to no real hard evidence to work from. Sounds more like enforcement by complaint.

I'll relate some stuff to think about. The gun range where I shoot got hassled similarly by someone whop bought a house just down the road from the range. They used the township noise ordinance to try to shut down the range, even though state law exempts ranges from noise ordinances. In order to try and be a "good neighbor" they hired a sound expert to come in and look at the problem. He mentioned a few things...

Sound ordinances are almost impossible to enforce in court. Most usually list a db reading that you can't exceed within X distance from the property line. Without a true reading on a certified meter, by someone properly trained in it's use, there's no "proof" that you are violating the ordinance. The cops can come out and write the ticket, but it's not provable in court unless they follow procedure...

Number two so many other things also tend to violate the noise ordinance. Motorcycles, lawn mowers, leaf blowers almost all gas powered lawn equipment... Turn about is fair play... If they enforce the law on you, then they must by law enforce it uniformly on everyone else as well. It's not that hard to prove someone is violating a noise ordinance with most newer power equipment since the manufacturer tests and lists the db readings on the products.

I'd look and see exactly what the rules and regs actually are, and make them prove you are in violation. I know Cali has some asinine air regs, but I'm betting they have to test to prove you are in violation if they want to take it to court. I'm also betting if the fumes from your welder bothers him, the fumes from his lawn equipment should bother you. Not sure if you can still use 2 cycle stuff in Cali or not, but I'm betting you can't and so many older small powered equipment is 2 cycle... the best defense is a good offense. If they are a PITA to you, I'd give it right back at them X 10.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by anickode View Post
    A filter system might work.

I'd recommend gluing a good 3-M respirator to your neighbor's face.

You could run a flex hose down into a barrel of water and let the exhaust bubble up through, then pour the water into the storm drain or on his lawn when you're done.
    Plastic bags are more effective at stopping fumes than respirators...

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

I'm glad I don't live in Cali. . I do have a sister that lives there and she can have it.

I just don't have any advice to give you . . But, Its a **** shame that you can't practice with your welder on "your own property".

Your neighbors wouldn't want me to live beside them. . They would complain about my diesel truck and my diesel tractor and a lot more I guess!
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hobart Spool-Gun 100
    Lincoln 225 AC
    Miller & Pipeliner Hood
    Dewalt 14" Chopsaw, Grinders
    Harris O/A
    Victor Torch
    Custom Built O/A Cart
    Custom Welding Cart
    Heavy Duty 16 Speed Floor Drill Press
    Pipe-Bender
    Drill Doctor

Is your neighbor Al Gore ?

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I'd look and see exactly what the rules and regs actually are, and make them prove you are in violation. I know Cali has some asinine air regs, but I'm betting they have to test to prove you are in violation if they want to take it to court.
    I agree 100% . . They need to let him run his welder and do a test while its running.

My guess is the neighbors can't stand the noise. . . If the fumes are bothering him, Then he needs to move his nose away from the exhaust.
    I'm also betting if the fumes from your welder bothers him, the fumes from his lawn equipment should bother you. Not sure if you can still use 2 cycle stuff in Cali or not, but I'm betting you can't and so many older small powered equipment is 2 cycle.
    Exactly! . . I would complain every time he starts his mower and vehicles. . But, This being in Cali and a neighbor complaining about fumes. . His neighbors probably has an electric mower and car.
    the best defense is a good offense. If they are a PITA to you, I'd give it right back at them X 10.
    100%!!! . . If I was their neighbor, They would be moving out in a couple days!

Its a shame there is people like this. . I'm glad I don't have neighbors!

I hope his neighbor breaks something and then asks the OP to weld it. . I'd tell him to get some JB Weld.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Hobart Spool-Gun 100
    Lincoln 225 AC
    Miller & Pipeliner Hood
    Dewalt 14" Chopsaw, Grinders
    Harris O/A
    Victor Torch
    Custom Built O/A Cart
    Custom Welding Cart
    Heavy Duty 16 Speed Floor Drill Press
    Pipe-Bender
    Drill Doctor

Well, you could just run the exhaust into his crawlspace and hope the problem goes away, probably work till someone figures out what happened (at least we could see ya on the news then). In all reality, you might want to look into some sort of cat system (is this a gas or diesel welder) or just start calling in your neighbor for everything he does that causes you some annoyance and may be regulated (washing his car, mowing the lawn, taking a long shower, parking on the street, seems just about everything in CA is regulated to some extent) You should be able to find something.

How about some sort of stove pipe arrangement that sits over top of the exhaust and directs noise and exhaust up a bit higher? Paint it hot pink and add a logo "Mothersucker!".
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

Thanks guys, it's a gas Lincoln 200. First letter said I needed a pto (permit to operate) for my machine. After calling and yelling them the hp on the machine they said I'm fine no pto required but they did say I need to reduce my exhaust fumes to "his comfort level" and as long as he doesn't call I will be alright ... So how do I gage his comfort level , if just parking my rig by his house draws the sheriffs out to investigate... I've been there 20 years and never had a problem he moved in about 8 months ago and already the other neighbor had to move because he kept getting ticketed for working on his cars in the driveway. This guy is ridiculous..

Quote Originally Posted by JLGaeta1985 View Post
    Thanks guys, it's a gas Lincoln 200. First letter said I needed a pto (permit to operate) for my machine. After calling and yelling them the hp on the machine they said I'm fine no pto required but they did say I need to reduce my exhaust fumes to "his comfort level" and as long as he doesn't call I will be alright ... So how do I gage his comfort level , if just parking my rig by his house draws the sheriffs out to investigate... I've been there 20 years and never had a problem he moved in about 8 months ago and already the other neighbor had to move because he kept getting ticketed for working on his cars in the driveway. This guy is ridiculous..
    OMG...it's Bakersfield after all. What's your neighbor expecting Newport Beach?

It's worse than that I live In a small town outside of bakersfield...behind commercial buildings , big rigs unload at autozone right in front of my house.. Idk what this guys problem is.