whats the propper way to plate a truck frame
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

whats the propper way to plate a truck frame

I have a 1992 ford ranger extended cab and I have torn the truck down to make all the repairs before I rebuild the truck into a trailrider. After getting everything off the frame I noticed that behind one of fords poorly designed crossmembers there was some very bad rust it is not all the way through but it is definetly very thin and I would like to plate the frame especially since I will be offroading this truck. so what I am looking for is the propper way to plate the frame. My dad says to use plates shaped like <===> so there are no straight up and down welds. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. What thickness plate should I use

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Re: whats the propper way to plate a truck frame

Do a search there are a couple of threads going on about frame and truck frame repair and rebuild with the bonus of having pictures.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by onewyr View Post
    I have a 1992 ford ranger extended cab and I have torn the truck down to make all the repairs before I rebuild the truck into a trailrider. After getting everything off the frame I noticed that behind one of fords poorly designed crossmembers there was some very bad rust it is not all the way through but it is definetly very thin and I would like to plate the frame especially since I will be offroading this truck. so what I am looking for is the propper way to plate the frame. My dad says to use plates shaped like <===> so there are no straight up and down welds. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. What thickness plate should I use
    Your dad has it right. I would add, that you should not have a sharp "V" at the edges of the plates, but rather a rounded end on them. It keeps with the stressed points relieved theory, which is pretty well proven. As for thickness, a Ford Ranger frame is only.100 thick from the factory, so I would match to it with .125" material. there is no reason to go thicker than 3/16" for a plate on a small truck frame.... the base metal will fail first, even with 1/8" material. If you go to www.TTORA.com , this is a Toyota truck from, but there is a lot of info on frame plating jobs. Do a search on frame plates, Delello offroad, and some other frame plate jobs that I have done are in there, too. I have some frames that I have boxed in the rear half of the frame to take it from 'C' channel to a box. It makes the rear half much, much stronger. If you do a search, look up YOTracer, and/ or Rojodiablo, and you will find some decent pictures from that build up.
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

Hey, here is a link to the same truck here in welding web:http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ht=truck+frame Hope this helps! Paul.
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

use a fish plate

if you think about why you use the v-shape it becomes obvious how to do it. you v-shape so that both metals are connected all the way through, whereas if you don't your welds only connects the edges and the middle of the plates aren't connected.
    but maybe you knew that