Airco Wasp Welder/Generator
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Airco Wasp Welder/Generator

Hey guys, new member here. I have this old Airco Wasp AC/DC 225/200 gas powered welder. I got the machine in running condition form a guy I know for 300.00 bucks a while ago. Since then, I've completely tuned up the Onan CCKA and the thing runs like a top now. I had to rebuild the governor too as over the years most of the springs had been replaced with the wrong ones and it wouldn't hold speed under load. Anyway the thing runs well now and now I'm moving on to the weld/gen side of things.

I'm trying to find some liturature on this thing. It appers it was built by Miller, and it looks like a cross between AEA-200 and an AEAD-200. The differences are the AEA-200 is an AC only machine, and the AEAD-200 switches from weld to gen. differently and has different covers. I think I can get enough from the two manuals to know what I need to know, but I was hoping I could just download the correct one from Miller. Anyone recognize it??

Right now I'm focusing on getting the gen. side working right, and it appears it has a regulator issue. I adjust it to 60 hz. and it puts out about 145 volts AC with the fine adjustment at 100. If I turn down the fine adjustment I can get it down to about 130 volts AC, but something's not right.

Anyway, I'm hoping to find some wiring diagrams and then I can open it up and go from there..

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Airco Wasp Welder/Generator

Great looking unit overland47. I love the older welders/generators. For the most part, that's the equivalent to a Miller Blue Star 2E if I'm not mistaken. I think you'll also find it's a 50hz rather than 60hz which explains your excessive voltage at the 60hz rpm.

You can get the Blue Star 2E manual here http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o424f_mil.pdf to check it out.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Thanks Duane. Mine doesn't look much like the Blue Star. The front panel is different, and the Blue Star looks like it is powered by a single cyl. Kohler. Mine's CCKA Onan powered.

I was beginning to think mine might be a 50hz. unit... I need to get a tach before I go much farther though. I suppose I could just set it by Hz, but I need to set the weld speed also, and I'll need a tach to do that.

Tomorrow I'll set if for 50 Hz/1500 rpm, and see what the voltage is and go from there. That will tell me what I'm dealing with anyway. If it turns out to be a 50 Hz machine, I think I'll come up with an adjustable rheostat to adjust the exciter voltage to get 60 Hz/120 volts AC. An automatic voltage regulator would be nice, but I can't seem to find one for less than 300.00 bucks...

Edit:

Thought about it some more and it has to be a 60 Hz machine. It says right on it to set to 1900 rpm, I assume to account for droop when you load it up so it runs around 1800 rpm. It has a 4 pole generator, so at 1800 rpm, it has to be 60 Hz. Now I need to open it up and see what kind of setup it has for controlling the exciter voltage... The real fun begins now....
    Last edited by overland47; 12-22-2008 at 12:53 AM. Reason: thought some more....

Ah yes. I see my error now but you have to admit the AEA and AEAD units do look like a Blue Star 2 on steroids.

As for voltage regulation, the Blue Star, AEA/AEAD, Lincoln Weldanpower and others simply use the full field voltage provided by the maximum setting of the Fine Current Contol and proper speed to control AC output voltage so I'm not sure what you'll find for any type of AVR.

Thanks for the correction and keep us posted on your progress.
    Duane
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

sorry guys, i'm very late to the party. your wasp is the same as the miller AEAD-200LE from circa 1977 according to my miller catalog for that year, model number 900 468. it has 5kva of 120/240 power and is a standard 60hz although the catalog states that a 50hz model avail at slightly higher cost. the 50hz model would have 4kva of 120/240 power. that should at least get you the correct miller manual.
    good luck and nice unit!
    john
    john
    welding instructor
    www.williamrmoore.org
    MooreTech College of Technology
    welder/fabricator
    JGWilson, Inc.
    www.jgwilson.com

Overland,

Isn't the full schematic right inside the cover?

I have a very similar Airco...and the schematic is pasted inside the left-side cover.....as seen in the pic on this page...

http://www.oregonstone.com/weld1.html

As mentioned by someone else, there probably isn't any 'regulator' as such in your unit.

While it's normal for the AC voltage tolerance to be 'pretty loose'....lol....145 is definitely over the top.

Usually I see them run near 130 unloaded.

Output voltage is directly proportional to both field-current and RPM......so check your rpm before you spend too much time chasing other things. If you don't have a tach, then use any DMM with a freq-function...

If the rpm is right on, then check the rectifiers in the exciter/field circuitry.

best of luck with it,

Richard
    Miller Trailblazer-VJ
    Miller Dialarc 300HF
    Lincoln Weldanpower-225
    SOLD: Hobart WW2, 300+amp, Chrysler-6
    FOR SALE: Airco 225/200 AC/DC, Onan Twin
    http://www.oregonstone.com/weld1.html

can anyone give me any information on an airco superhornet 200 if im not mistaken it is a 76 model with a continental f140 engine

If the motor is a CCK, its 60 hz.

I would set the RPM by frequency, you can't go wrong.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

hi longrod,
    there is a 200 dc hornet, but not a 200 super hornet that i am aware of. it would be either a 300 or 350 for the super hornet models. if its the 300 superhornet then my airco catalog shows it using a conti f163 engine.
    john
    john
    welding instructor
    www.williamrmoore.org
    MooreTech College of Technology
    welder/fabricator
    JGWilson, Inc.
    www.jgwilson.com

GREAT morning Everyone!!
    I just picked up an Airco 200 amp Super Hornet welder
    Stock # 1350- 1121 with a conti F163 Spec 4274
    If anyone could tell me more about this unit I would be very greatfull-
    like ops manual, power specs, etc.
    Thanks- Doug

Greetings One and All,
    I'm a newcomer here so be patient with me.
    I know this is an ancient posting but could you please post me a couple of really good front face shots of this portable welder, without any of the leads plugged in?
    We recently got one just like it that has ALL the lettering and printed graphics TOTALLY faded out. I've got the old Onan running great.
    I'd like to be able to identify the inserts and switches so I can try and find someone who makes decals or someone who can letter it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The Very Best,
    Roby
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had a wasp in my shop and it was made by Generac for Airco.
    It had a bad voltage regulator, and nobody had one. even tried Generac. He found the part number then told me they don't make it any more.