Does anyone here get there MIG gas from Tractor Supply?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Does anyone here get there MIG gas from Tractor Supply?

If so, how does it work, do you rent/lease the tank or buy it?

Re: Does anyone here get there MIG gas from Tractor Supply?

I dont because I checked them out and they was about 50% higher than my lws. If it would have been a few dollars I wouldn't mind but it was a huge difference.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...c14220%7c14235

Initially you are paying a deposit on the tank equal to the cost of a new tank and the gas contents. After that, you bring in an empty tank and exchange it for a full one and pay for the gas only. As with the preceding poster, I found my LWS sells tanks much cheaper than the deposit and fills them for much less than TSC.
    TeddCo
    HTP Microcut 400 & Invertig 160DC
    Smith Dual Guard MD-510 OA Rig
    Lincoln SP135+
    Hobart Stickmate LX 235/160

TSC - too expensive

Good to know, I think I'll visit my LWS

I do use them some and another local supplier that is just as $$$, it's 1.5 hour trip otherwise to get a better price. Most times just not worth the driving time. Also I rather not haul cyls in personal vehical in and out of city on major hwy.

TSC service is in general poor here, they are out of gas some times, get mixed up on what is a full tank and what is empty, why some cyls are green and why some are brown, lack staff to help you in a reasonable time frame... what do you do thats life in a small town.
    Lincoln PT185 TIG
    Lincoln 175 MIG
    Lincoln 240 amp AC Stick
    Lind Needle Arc plasma welder
    Plasma cutter, soon???

I have looked at TSC before but compared to my normal supplier AirGas the TSC are more than twice the price. Plus TSC makes you fill out that blasted paperwork everytime you go in . Once you set up an account with your local supplier the price drops and no paperwork. My supplier also delivers!! A big plus when you don't feel like transporting heavy gas cylinder and complying with your local transport laws.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

With the TSC 'Thouroghbred Industrial Cylinder Exchange' program you're actually buying a new cylinder (identified by an orange valve plug) or paying a $19.00 one time 'trade-in' fee if you exchange your own cylinder that meets the requirements and was not originally obtained from the program.

That being said, it is more expensive than the LWS due to the initial cost of the cylinders or trade-in fee and gas runs about 20% higher. I've only purchased a single 125cuft of C-25 from our TSC and at the time the upside was they are open 7 days a week and only 5 minutes away. But as for completely outfitting my gas needs through them - way too much $$$ especially if I had to buy all the cylinders plus the larger cylinders as well as 100% argon in any size are all 'special order' so the LWS is by far the best option.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

I just called airgas in my area, he told me the cost would be $70.00 to fill bottle and then $266.78 to buy the bottle. Does this seem right?

Bottle price sounds on par if it's one of the big ones ('T' size, 300+ cuft) but the fill price seems a bit high. C-25 is the most expensive at my LWS at $51.44 for 381 cuft.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

That fill cost is high for airgas. I take it that you do not have an account with them. My account delivery price is just under 2/3 of the counter price.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Yes, TSC is expensive. The initial cost to "buy" the cylinder is way more than either of the two LWS in my area, and the refill price is also higher. Another catch is they will not exchange cylinders from other programs, at least not the nearest TSC to me in Concord, NH. They will trade in only cylinders that came from their system and have their sticky-label. And they have a big jump from small to large.... From 40cf they jump to 80cf for well over 200 bucks for the empty buy-in. No 60cf on their list

The one sole advantage I found was they are open 7 days a week. If I run out on a Saturday afternoon I can go to the TSC in the afternoon or on Sunday morning and swap out the one dinky 40cf of c25 I bought from them some weeks ago and keep working on my project late or on Sunday. But that is the only reason I bought into their system. Convenience (Sunday) has it's price. (I should have been kissed for the price I had to pay.)

-Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    Ask for a wrench and someone will offer you a grinder.
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

I just came back from TSC and they are $50.00 cheaper than airgas here in Northern California.

I bought a 90cubic bottle of Argon, full of course for $145 and fills run roughly $30. I called every weld supply in my area and even the one my 9to5er deals with was higher for them. Just make the calls. If it saves a few bucks, its worth it.

Its a given I am going to have to do that, no way I am going to pay those prices.

leagaly in ontario u cannot buy the large tanks here anymore I found that out when I went to buy one and the rental cost of the local guy was to much yearly so what he told me to do was get the TSC one and when empty he would be happy to fill it and when the tank was close to expire in so many years exchange at TSC for newwer one the again bring to local guy to fill for cheap. the local guy is real good to deal with he is a proxair dealer and yes to fill he is about 1/3 of the price of tsc and no yearly contract.