Respirator for welding galvanized steel?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Respirator for welding galvanized steel?

What is a good disposable respirator to wear while welding something galvanized. I have done a search and seen the 3M N100 seems to be a typical choice. I don’t plan on doing a lot of it, only maybe tacking some tomato cages together. Most of the welding will be done outside or right by an open garage door.

Re: Respirator for welding galvanized steel?

I like the one by 3M with the changeable filters and it fits right under your mask. I think I paid 20-30 for mine and it works fine for me. I weld alot of galvi and have no complaints with this mask.

I use the 3M half mask with the P100 filters. I fits under my speedglas hood and has a little more protection than the N100. The N100 may work fine for you if you don't wear a respirator very often but I wear them a lot and need more than a disposable.

Could I get a model number for these please. It seems 3M makes mask for everything LOL

This shows the different sizes. The half masks are the ones I use. If you click on the size it will take you to the part #. I think there's also an online store there somewhere.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beF3RH7CD92Ngl

A pint of milk used to be in the union awards here for welding galvanized items. I can't remember whether it was 1/2 pint morning and again afternoon or a pint for each.

A respirator sounds like a good idea as it's preventative. Milk afterwards may still be a good idea if you feel "off".
    "One of the things we have to be thankful for is that we don't get as much government as we pay for." (Charles Kettering)
    Mitch 180 (NZ)
    Lincoln SAM-400-220 + ?-400 Fordson Major + 2 x Tractapac Humber 80 + Procut 40 Plasma
    Miller Spectrum 375