idealarc shunt buzzzzzzz
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

idealarc shunt buzzzzzzz

My old idealarc has gradually developed a buzz box sound.is there any shunt adjustment on these old birds?
    Felon
    Caution lurker lives here
    " hmmm That is serious,pass the ganja and pick up a 24 of MGD"

Re: idealarc shunt buzzzzzzz

The idealarc 250, crank handle welder. The only adjustment on the shunt, is a tension adjustment on the brakes, front and back. Should keep the crank from moving while you are welding. A loud hum could be a diode starting to fail. Depending on the age and diode type.
    The older diodes use parallel diode groups. One can fail and the rest still be good.
    Some times they test good with a diode tester but they short out when you power up the welder. Need to test with a meter that uses high test voltage. some of the digital meg-ohm meters with volt and ohm test functions work good for this. The ohm function uses a higher voltage than standard volt-ohm meters.

ccawgc said " A loud hum could be a diode starting to fail. Depending on the age and diode type".
    She doesnt hum as such,its when you start to weld it sounds rattletrapish like my old fanless hobart 180 stick,god rest its soul.Not a welding issue just that its noiseier than it used to be.

sorry for the long time span but i been away
    Felon

ps no not in jail
    Caution lurker lives here
    " hmmm That is serious,pass the ganja and pick up a 24 of MGD"

Let me think, mmmm Welds normal. Just makes a lot more noise than it used to when welding.
    Crank moves smoothly from one end to the other over the range of travel.
    Then we have something working loose. Sheet metal screws, transformer wedges.
    output inductor broken loose. Will have to pull covers and watch and listen while some one welds for you. see if you can find out where the sound is coming from.
    Stay clear of live exposed wires while checking.