Welding Tin Cans... - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Welding Tin Cans...

Cool looking little dog. Looks pretty smart
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

You guys got me laughin,I gotta try some with my wire welder and see what kind of mess I get.I think my beagle thinks it's a cat,it took off with an empty tuna can.
    pro-level dumpster diver Hobart 125EZ

I tried with my little Hobart, and literally shot holes in the can. The damn wire made contact, arced, burnt the can, then fed inside the can. Lowest setting, slowest wire feed. Flux core

I'm too embarrassed to post a pic, that's how bad it was

It's rumored that flux core runs hotter, has better penetration, and is a bad choice for sheetmetal.

And this is why we're both single.

So, since Denrep has done most of the experimentation, it's time for you to buy a bottle and some .023 and report back.

My contribution to the thread: this is my 16ga overhead fillet with 1/16" filler. For the most part it was laywire and two or three restarts. I tried to take another, better pic; but the frikkin' camera batteries are dead, again.

Edit: Process is TIG
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 01-07-2009 at 01:49 AM.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Hi UltraChop...

Your "Little Sweetie" didn't happen to make you say that, did she ??? Mine would have ! She's still wanting me to surrender my "Man Card". He-he
    After 26 years, I thought I had patience. I doff my hat to you !

FARMERSAMM... How many cans have you got welded together now ??? The stress hasn't got to you yet, has it ???

CRAIG IN DENVER... Nice looking job; but I can't make out what it is. Please tell us more.

SAY... What ever happened to Denrep ???

STEVENATOR... I like that phrase of yours... "Pro-Level Dumpster Diver" ! Good One !

Have a Great Day !

Ed VA
    Last edited by edv7028; 01-07-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Ed,

For my wife to put up for me even another 5 minutes makes her amazing!
    Craig, Nice Overhead weld! I haven't tried overhead tig yet, (how did you set up the coupon to do the weld??

Tim
    A rich man is not the one who has the most but instead one who needs the
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Dynasty 200dx (new in Dec 08)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Ed:
    It's just a test coupon. It's two pieces of 1 1/2" x 6" (16ga) welded together at 90* in the overhead position. I cropped the photo to make it smaller.

Tim:
    We have a nifty post with clamps in class that we can setup any position.

Cute little fur ball.

Retired desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Craig- Looks nice

Thinnest stuff I've fooled with using the flux core is 14ga. Seems to hold it's own pretty well. I use .030 wire, and stick my tongue out the left side of my mouth

I've found praying doesn't help. If I tried the tongue thing, I'd probably bite myself.

Retired desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Flux core penetrates better then solid wire, I just HATE THE ##$$^ SPATTER ON ME. so I refuse to do more then the bottom of a 3" piece (LOL)

Craig, I wish I could say thet CC class I went to last night gave me the same excitement that you seem to get from the ones you are taking. I am sure it is fine for beginners and I could always learn more about Mig from the practice I would get there, (HOWEVER) they don't plan on getting into tig until at least 3/4 through the quarter and the instructor isn't really a Tig welder so I think I am going to drop off. (I will continue to practice at home on my machine and LOOK FOR A LOCAL Tig welder that would like to make some extra money "TUTORING" me in the process either at his location or mine.

CRAIG, can you take a snapshot of the fixture at the school??

Thanks,

Tim
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Hi Craig In Denver...

When you say "Overhead", do you actually have to material to be welded up over your head where you're looking at it from the bottom ??? If not, please tell me more.

FARMERSAMM... Hey Farmer... are you still out there ??? How's it coming with those cans ?

When I initiated this post, I was hoping for some input on how to weld sheet metal, (Cans in this case). Is there a better electrode to use than 6013 with my Lincoln 225/125 AC/DC ???

I guess MIG & TIG are preferred by those folks that have them; but all I have are my stick welders... so far.

At least we got some humor going between us all; and I hope for more too.

Regards,

Ed VA

Hey Ed

Only able to save one can a day. Just dog food cans mostly. Don't eat much canned food

Couple more days and it's back to ^%$*@#$!

I apologize for the quality of the pics. If I hadn't murdered my Nikon they'd be good.............but I did. Someday I hope to be as good with my Canon.

Ed, yes, welding overhead, aiming UP. We wear full leathers, for the inevitable drip or spark. Pic 3 tries to show it. 6013 is a good choice for you IMHO. But I'm not a stick weldor yet. I agree that the humor is fun, a couple of guys here are lunatics (a good thing ). I'm so proud of myself for not naming names.

Tim, here's how we position our welds. The reason I'm having so much fun, I don't have to 'get anywhere'. There are times when I'm cussing and open butt welds are more difficult that I'd hoped. The top side looks great, but fusing the backside edge with a nice 'wedding band' is a PITA. It isn't the instructor I have to please, it's ME.

Pic 4 is vertical up.

Pic 1 and 2 are reversed, the horizontal bar is usually on my right. But the light was better with it on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 01-08-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Retired desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Craig,

Thanks for sending me the pictures! I usually destroy a digital camera at least once a year!
    just got a new Canon 990IS---great camera, should last a couple more months!!

When I have more time I will likely get to a class as well (for the same reason as you suggest) they have nice cutting tools and both,l their metal and gas--

I am having a blast learning and thanks to you and the rest of the guys the learning (intelectual) part (can't spell for ##*t has been really fun as well.

(should have bought a tig machine a long time ago (probably not, the kids would have starved)

Tim
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Hi FarmerSamm...

With my budget, I'm going to have lots of Cat Food Cans soon; and I don't mean for the cat ! He-he As it is, I have canned beans, canned peas, canned chili, canned menudo, canned peaches/pineapples, etc. Gee... even my beer is canned !

Craig In Denver... Thanks for the advice/help/pix. Are those copper colored rods in the last pic electrodes ? Why are they copper colored ? Are they Copper Clad Carbon Gouging Electrodes ?

When I tack-welded my shed frame, I had to do some welding overhead, just never thought about it being difficult. Heck... all I had on were Jeans and a T-Shirt. Those drops and sparks were... "bothersome"; but the really were a PITA when they got below my beltline ! He-he No wonder I can't find my "tool" some of the time ! He-he He's SCARED !!!

Regards,

Ed VA

P.S.

RailRoad BasePlates & Bench Dogs...

I found out that T-Posts, when cut & ground down, make really good & tight-fitting Bench Dogs for my RailRoad BasePlate Work Bench. It takes hardly any time at all with my grinder to cut & grind them; and I can make plenty of them at all heights because they're CHEAP/FREE.

Another thing I'm working on is 1.0" Rebar Ground down to fit the 3/4" square holes in the baseplates. I'm planning to drill & tap the top end so I can use a 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 bolt for varying the height.

One last project is using some old Wheel Bolts off my old Chevy Surban. All I have to do there is grind down the head to 3/4" to fit the square holes.

Does anyone get the idea that I have too much time on my hands here ??? He-he

I'm thinking of cutting a slot in one plate for my circular & reciprocating saws. Maybe even my chainsaw.

I know... I know. As my wife says all the time... "I'm Crazy !"

Regards,

Ed VA

38 year old Linde buzz box and 1/16 6013
    Name:  cans.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  51.6 KB
    I showed mine now show yours

Ultrachop, what's Foo Foo doing on your Harley?
    Name:  foof.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  50.0 KB
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

M/M,

My little Maltese/puddle cross looks like he could be a twin to yours?? His name came from the day after we brought him home and he jumped up on my (Harley pillow) I was hoping he would like to ride with me but I guess he doesn't like "loud pipes" (yet)

He is stubborn as H-e-** Kind of like his owner, If he wasn't so darn cute I would have hit him with 100 amps to slow him down! (his latest is to go outside and eat rabbit crap instead of doing his business!

(nice job on the tin cans!) I will have to try that as soon as I finish my Alpo---wife has me on a all meat diet!!!

Tim
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Mag Mech

GREAT !!!!!!

I couldn't keep the heat out of the thinner area of the can. I'm glad someone finally got around to gettin' it done

Gee!! All these pics of folks welding cans. I can say I haven't tried that but I do sheet metal welding on cars and trucks with my Century 135GL MIG. Yeah it can be tricky getting a nice straight long bead and fitment. I do that on straight panel welding. On panels that require bends and curves I might use a combo of MIG and brazing. In those cases I usually tack weld with the mig to hold the piece on the panel then use the brazing torch to form and weld the rest of the body panel onto the car or truck ( especially when doing a full rear quarter panel where there are lots of bends & curves)

Tom
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Mag Mech

GREAT !!!!!!

I couldn't keep the heat out of the thinner area of the can. I'm glad someone finally got around to gettin' it done
    I cheated.

I cut the ends out and slid the cans over a 1˝ pipe heat sink.

Magmek
    Last edited by Magnetic Mechanic; 01-09-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: forgot to sign wrong place
    is just an ugly bug

Ed:
    That's a copper coating to protect from rust. Bare mild steel rod won't last long in some areas due to humidity. MIG wire is also coated because a roll may be on a welder for years in a home welder.

Retired desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Magmek,

Ah, honest too!! What breed is your little firball? Must say the older I get the more I like little dogs, especially a lot easier to deal with when/if we ever get to travel.!!!

Oh by the way you guys caused me to make a mess in my shop, as I dumped out some tin cans so I can try to weld a few of them!

Tim
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

I used to weld tin cans with a torch and silver solder.

Ultrachop

Foo Foo is one of two Maltese that Elaine rescued from the big sleep. Seems they have overbite genes that are not allowed in the gene pool. That was actually her puppy picture, she is all grown up now.Name:  FOOFE.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  49.0 KB

After my last post, I realized that I don't have any 1/16 rod. Went out to the shop to check and they were 3/32 6013. tried agaon while out there.Name:  CANS2.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  45.3 KB

When I get to the big city I'm gong to get some 1/16 rod. I believe this may actually be doable.

Magmek
    Last edited by Magnetic Mechanic; 01-09-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: for got name
    is just an ugly bug

Quote Originally Posted by newkid1 View Post
    I used to weld tin cans with a torch and silver solder.
    ED said:
    I did have several spots where the arc burnt through the cans; but for the most part, the job came out pretty well had I wanted to make myself a smoke stack.

Idont think I'd trust silver solder with a chimney fire
    is just an ugly bug