Lincoln AC-225-S repair
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln AC-225-S repair

Hello!
    I posted this question at the Hobart forum, but the problem is not solved, so decided to look for help in other places. Sorry if somebody is reading it twice. My question is about connecting welding cables (electrode and grounding) to an older buzz-box AC-225-S. I bought it dissembled, cleaned, and started putting together. One cable fits nicely on a plate under the blade amp switch - there is a matching hole with bolt and nut. But with the other I am stuck. I do not see any bolt for it. There is a stripe coming from the transformer with a matching hole, but if I attach the cable to this stripe, it would hang in the air. For now I connected this stripe with the body and green wire from the power cord. I know that this welder is very popular, and I am surprised that nobody seems to know the insides of his own welder... Any help is appreciated, especially from those who can look inside and tell what is there! Here is the picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Re: Lincoln AC-225-S repair

Something looks like it sits on top of your transformer toward the front of the machine. There is a outline. The cable should bolt there I think.
    Welders:
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Penncraft 230 (oldy but goody)
    HF Plasma 30 (Italian)
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy/Acetylene/Propane
    Lincoln SA200
    Everlast Power Tig 250 EX
    Everlast PowerUltra 205

I have an old one out in the yard that died. I'll go and take a look in the morning. It looks to be identical to mine.

Pics tomorrow.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

I meant yours looks identical to mine. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    I have an old one out in the yard that died. I'll go and take a look in the morning. It looks to be identical to mine.

Pics tomorrow.
    DIED? I am (or was now?) under impression that these machines are immortal :-) Thanks a lot for your help, cannot wait to see the pics tomorrow!

"Hang in the air" in the air sounds right, It was the groung lead.

Wait till I double-triple check first

Yes one copper band of the winding sticks up there, about 1 inch widen 1/16 inck thick 10 inch long.

This silly set up is one of the reasons i am looking it over closely. My work cables are not secured to anything but those flimzy connections. The remnant of the broken off selector knob jambed in the hole bettween the cables and wrapped with tape to secure them.

I think I will loop them down with slack then zip tye them to the case,
    Last edited by grey; 01-14-2009 at 07:37 AM.

looks like yours has 2 holes with grommets where the cables enter the box ... mine has one just big one for both.

I now notice other differences too. My transformer has a bracket on top...like to carry it with or something.
    Last edited by grey; 01-14-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Pics tomorrow.
    Is the selector knob busted?

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Yes one copper band of the winding sticks up there, about 1 inch widen 1/16 inck thick 10 inch long.
    Mine is rather aluminum, and yes, it is 1/16 by 3/4 by 9.

My work cables are not secured to anything but those flimzy connections. The remnant of the broken off selector knob jambed in the hole between the cables and wrapped with tape to secure them.
    When you say "connections," do you mean both cables are connected to such straps (bands, whatever we call them)? Or if not, then how is the other cable connected?

Is the selector knob busted?
    No, selector knob is alright. Also, I don't have any grommets, just plain holes for both welding cables and for the power cord. There are clams inside the box though to keep the cables from moving and rubbing against the box.

I was just saying that on mine the cables were not secured and might be accidently pulled causing movement, and thus damage.

The stinger connects to the amp selector switch and the work lead connects to that band. That band just sticks up in the air.

It would be wise to pull some slack into the box and secure the cable.
    Otherwise, that band might get bent over and short to the switch connection.

The stinger connects to the amp selector switch and the work lead connects to that band. That band just sticks up in the air.
    Aha! Now I see. So at least one of my cables is like yours, the electrode one. It is interesting, that when I stopped by at the local welding supplies store (in Round Rock, TX), and asked my question, the guy who repairs these welders said no, nothing connects to the switch. I said, why does the plate on the switch have a matching hole for the lead, the guy said again no, you can connect whatever you want, but that's wrong.

Does farmersamm want to sell the selector knob off his old machine?

Mine came connected as I have desribed.

I have not plugged it in, nor seen it work.

Farmersamm will tell us what's what.

The work lead (some call it ground) attached to the strap coming off of the right side of the transformer as you're looking into the back of the machine.

The stinger lead attached to the amp control switch.

I hope it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

It looks as if you've grounded the strap coming off the transformer. It's the attachment for the lead, and it does dangle like that. You could probably use some electrical ties or something to make it firm.

It looks as if you've grounded the strap coming off the transformer. It's the attachment for the lead, and it does dangle like that. You could probably use some electrical ties or something to make it firm.
    Thank you so much, dear friend, for your kind help! A picture really tells more than many words! Now I am ready to go.

Now go burn the house down!!!

BBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzTTTTTTTTtttttttt

Gee sam did you boat anchor breakdown on ya
    Last edited by specter; 01-14-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzTTTTTTTTtttttttt

Gee sam did you boat anchor breakdown on ya
    Yeah, sorta.

It quit puttin' out good heat. It was gonna cost around 150or so to test it, so I bought the new AC/DC I've got now.

I gotta sneakin' suspicion it might just have been corrosion on the amps switch or something like that. Didn't have the knowledge or time to mess with it.

Too bad a good ole fashion mutlimeter would have found the fault. usually its just oxidation on the switches a simple cleanup and protect with antioxidate
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Yeah, sorta.

It quit puttin' out good heat. It was gonna cost around 150or so to test it, so I bought the new AC/DC I've got now.

I gotta sneakin' suspicion it might just have been corrosion on the amps switch or something like that. Didn't have the knowledge or time to mess with it.

At worst, your looking at a replacement selector switch and new fan….While your at it, install a pair of “dins” or pass through studs. Time is the only thing that would be expensive. Old tomb stones are fun machines for teaching toddlers how to stick weld. You got to admit that maching was good to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Billdacat View Post
    At worst, your looking at a replacement selector switch and new fan….While your at it, install a pair of “dins” or pass through studs. Time is the only thing that would be expensive. Old tomb stones are fun machines for teaching toddlers how to stick weld. You got to admit that maching was good to you...
    I guess I should at least get it in out of the weather.

I remember the guy I bought it from. It was a farm sale near Greeley CO. The owner was liquidating the farm because his boys didn't want to work the place. They had good jobs, and didn't have the time or desire to do it.

I picked up a real nice 6 row Milton planter at the same sale, and the guy gave me all his extra seed plates the next day when I brought the trailer back to load it. I imagine he's up in his 80's by now.

You're right. It was good to me. I was able to learn on it. I don't ever imagine my skill level is gonna go beyond the capabilities of the new one I replaced it with. I don't see myself learning new processes in the future.

I was gonna sell it for scrap, but I couldn't part with it.

Thanks for the motivation