Brand new Ranger 305 G DOA
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brand new Ranger 305 G DOA

Hey guys just picked up my new Ranger today, got her home and fired her up only to find I have no weld output, no output at the 120V plugs and the machine will not go into low idle..

This machine is brand new I shall be bringing it back tomorrow.. Im planning to get this machine replaced, I don't want a brand new repaired machine when I paid for a brand new machine from the get go... Who knows what other issues this machine could have...

Is this a rare occurance with these Ranger 305's ?
    Journeyman / Red Seal Welder (What a useless test)
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face
    2013 Lincoln Ranger 305G Welds like a Champ
    Pro Star Heavy Duty Torch set (Victor heavy duty)

Re: Brand new Ranger 305 G DOA

That sucks. I take it you bought it from a LWS. I would think they would test it out??? Let us know the outcome.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Yes got it from a LWS.. From what I was told the machine was shipped to them missing a panel so they took the panel off the 225 they have on display and put it on my 305,, they knew I wanted the machine asap... Makes me wonder now why that panel was missing in the first place ? Maybe this was some sort of reject machine lol...
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face

I bought a slightly used 305g from munns in enid oklahoma with only 131 hrs on it. It has started and worked like a dream. You will definately like the 305g when you get her right. Sounds like electrical glitch? Hopefully it is a simple fix....remember it has a 3 yr. Warranty that you probably wont need after she is groomed a little.

Jbm

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Lincoln 305G
    Union Carbide Torch

Don't Worry About the Mule~
    Load the Wagon!

When you shell out thousands of dollars for an expensive piece of equipment it really pisses me off when it has major issues right out of the gate.

What happened to checking stuff to make sure it does what it's supposed to do as part of your QC checklist? I can *somewhat* understand components that seem to be good/perfect when the item is built but several months down the road they go bad but for a machine to be non-op right out the gate is ridiculous!

Well Lincoln is replacing the machine, So I now have to wait another week for my NEW machine to arrive.... They're sending a new welding sheild with it for my troubles. WOW (sarcasm).....

Between loosing today at work and half a day yesterday at $30 an hour I have wasted quite a bit on this POS..... If the new machine doesnt impress this will without a doubt be my last Lincoln....

I have pictures of the serial number on the machine which I will put up later so none of you guys get caught with a doctored up machine..... I also have video of it running and showing the 2 digital readouts not working which I will also try to post....

My LWS has been great they went to bat for me to get the new machine, as for the LWS testing the machine, well I was a little earlier than they expected to pick it up, and to be honest they shouldn't have to test it thats Lincolns job....

What did I get for my brithday yesterday a $5000 dissapointment !
    Last edited by Newfie_1986; 04-23-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face

Well there's alway's the Trailblazer325 if the Lincoln fails Newfie.

weldr11

I was going to just send the machine back and tell them to stuff it and get a trailblazer but the lincoln looks sooo nice in her red and black coat lol. But theres no sense having a good looking machine that doesnt run, just like women no sense having a hot girlfriend that dont put out.. lol My LWS is going to tell me what was wrong with the old machine and how it got shipped to mne. Its looking as if it was a returned machine that was sent to me.

Oh well I guess, if it performs there may be a V350 pro in my future, if it doesn I'll go for an xmt 350...
    Last edited by Newfie_1986; 04-23-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie_1986 View Post

Oh well I guess, if it performs there may be a V350 pro in my future, if it doesn I'll go for an xmt 350...
    You know i'm a Miller guy and i picked a TB302 over a Ranger 305 if i had to do it again i would pick the Ranger hands down, but between the V350 and the XMT 350 have you welded with the XMT that thing makes even the crappiest of welders look good get the XMT.

So youd pick the Ranger over the 302 ? Any particular reason why ? As for the v350 and the XMT 350 have you ran the V350 ? Is there a huge difference between the two ? Im really hoping to keep all my machines the same color but if one is night and day better than the other well I can accept that... Im not brand loyal I even have an Everlast, when it arrived it worked flawless unlike my Lincoln lol lol... I guess if I can accept a slime green machine blue should be ok too...
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face

Well the trailblazer 302 weld nice no complaints, but i got a chance to weld with a Ranger and Dam that chopper tech is something else ran it on downhill pipe amazing arc and bead it was effortless to weld with and the Ranger if tuned right will burn 1/4 inch rods all day 7 days a week no problem, whereas the TB302 isn't so great with 1/4 inch rods, but the new miller TB325 is supposed to weld as nice if not better then the Ranger plus it'll do it at idle but there having teething issues. i think most guy's here in Alberta leave it on downhill pipe even if they don't weld pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by weldr11 View Post
    but between the V350 and the XMT 350 have you welded with the XMT that thing makes even the crappiest of welders look good get the XMT.

Back when I took classes for SMAW, I was on the XMT for quite a while. Then I actually preferred the old Idealarc 250 transformer's arc over the XMT. To me, the XMT's arc was very stable but also violent. It felt like it was mimicking spray transfer. Then I got put in a booth with a V350 Pro! That arc was indescribable. The smoothest, butteriest, most incredible arc I have ever seen. I would definitely go with the Lincoln. That machine alone, broke my Blue/Red equality, and made me lean hard to the Red. Keep in mind, I only used them in SMAW mode.
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    To me, the XMT's arc was very stable but also violent. It felt like it was mimicking spray transfer. Then I got put in a booth with a V350 Pro! That arc was indescribable. The smoothest, butteriest, most incredible arc I have ever seen..
    Most of us prefered the XMT over the V350 i guess that's why there is more than one company, my favorite was the 350 dynasty the ultimate stick/tig machine, an XMT or V350 won't do ac tig.

Most of us prefered the XMT over the V350 i guess that's why there is more than one company, my favorite was the 350 dynasty the ultimate stick/tig machine, an XMT or V350 won't do ac tig.
    But the Dynasty won't do CV.

I know EVERYBODY raves about the XMT. That is all you hear, here. I just didn't see what everybody was raving about. I tried the three different XMT's they had, so it wasn't an issue of one having a problem. I did prefer the arc from the transformer Idealarc 250 tombstone, being that it felt softer. But the V350's arc, is what I think everybody is talking about when they refer to how great an SA200 is. I've never used one, but I honestly can't imagine a better arc than the V350.
    "Stick-man"

I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 305g in about two weeks. I'm pretty pumped about it, I love buying new welding equipment. I'm also picking up the ln25 and innershield gun. I'll post it up and let you guys know what I think. I already know its gonna be a killer setup tho
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    But the Dynasty won't do CV.
    I know. Lots of guys say they will never own a Miller but i bet if they took the best welding machines from both Miller and Lincoln and had welders weld with them without knowing which machine there using most if any couldn't tell the difference, i have never owned a lincoln maybe i never will but it wouldn't be because it doesn't weld nice it's all my welders are blue and i prefer to deal with one company instead of two.

Quote Originally Posted by weldermike View Post
    I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 305g in about two weeks. I'm pretty pumped about it,:
    Try the new Miller TB325 before pull the trigger just to see how it compares to the Ranger even if you still get the Ranger it'll be real interesting to know what you think about the to machines.

Try the new Miller TB325 before pull the trigger just to see how it compares to the Ranger even if you still get the Ranger it'll be real interesting to know what you think about the to machines.
    I'll check it out, my lws is cool with me. Trust me i have always been blue to the core, but it is time to say uncle and throw in the towel when it comes to the engine drives.
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Well the LWS still has my old 305G, aparently Lincoln told them there is a connection loose in the machine, well turns out Lincoln was wrong my LWS opened up the machine to find the connector properly connected. I will keep you all updated on whats wrong with the old one. My new one is on the way...
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face

Update?
    Hobart Stickmate LX235AC/160DC
    Ranger 305G
    Victor 315 O/A rig

Hope to acquire in the next couple of years: Hypertherm PM45 and Dynasty 200DX

Yes sorry...

Still no word on whats wrong with the old machine but shes gone back. I have my new machine, it welds great, only thing is Lincoln skipped out and havent sent the auto darken sheild they promised yet....
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face

Yes sorry...

Still no word on whats wrong with the old machine but shes gone back. I have my new machine, it welds great, only thing is Lincoln skipped out and havent sent the auto darken sheild they promised yet....
    Have you adjusted the Hertz on it?

high idle is 62.5
    low idle is 43.

weldr11

No I havent, dont really have the desire to mess with a brand new machine. The whole reason for buying new is so I wouldnt have to touch it... Thats why my SA 200 is being sold because it needs work and to be honest I dont want to do it.
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face

Well after many weeks I finally received the helmet from Lincoln, I think their rep was maybe trying to screw me around. It doesn't take 6 weeks to get a helmet shipped out. He claimed he didn't know the one he ordered for me was on back order... Home Depot has a system showing what is on back order and im sure Lincoln does as well...

I had put the video of the old machine up on youtube and sent it to Lincoln directly and told them I was unhappy they shipped such a product to me and that I was promised an auto darken welding shield for my troubles (week downtime, dealing with my LWS etc) which had not yet been received...

Within 24 hours I had my new welding helmet I also received emails from the head of the warranty department and my local Lincoln rep as well.

Lets go back to the beginning...

When the new "NEW" machine arrived and there was no helmet with it, my LWS contacted the local rep and he had claimed the helmet was forgotten about... At that point he claimed he would order one and it would be on its way, weeks pass and nothing. I go back to my LWS and they try to get the rep on the phone, no answer. I decided to leave it be and just wait another week or two. Then I put the video up and contacted Lincoln directly..

Am I wrong here ? I don't feel as if I should have to call my rep to see what is on the go with an item they said they would ship to me ? Especially after waiting 5 or 6 weeks for it...

I feel after sending such a machine the rep should have called and done a follow up to be sure I received my welding helmet and that the new machine was running fine, I shouldn't have to contact him...

As for the old machine ? The leads were not connected to the brush assembly...
    U1130105181 is the serial # on the old machine...

The guys in Ohio seem like a good bunch.

As for my new Ranger well lets just say my old Red face wont be sold I will always wonder when the Ranger is going to go down on me now...
    Last edited by Newfie_1986; 06-14-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Everlast Powerarc 200
    Everlast Powerarc 140
    Lincoln SA 200 Red Face

Sounds to me like Lincoln isn't testing much of the finished product. Miller doesn't test much. We have a mm212 at work that had a bad tension arm on the wire feeder. Didn't machine something. Maxed out on tension I can still pull wire out the other end of the gun by hand. We simply had to use the .030" drive roll for .035" wire and max out the tension. Not perfect, but will feed if the gun is mostly straight.