Looking for a bender
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Looking for a bender

So I'm looking for some advice on a bender, one that can bend 1" 11ga square tube, up to 1-1/2" round tube, and up to 1/2" solid rod. I don't need anything fancy, just something I can mount to a table top. If there's a cheap option that works well then great, but I don't mind spending a little money on this.

Re: Looking for a bender

Here's a good cheap bender that you can make for yourself, thanks to a fellow WW member, modify at will.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=77691

Pipe and tube is a little tougher, though. You'll need some mandrels to bend that stuff without collapsing on the bend. I've seen manual Hossfeld style benders equipped with mandrels that seem to do the job quite well, or you could always make yourself one that's hydraulically powered. Both options are not cheap. Then there's the HF pipe bender, I suspect that the HF pipe bender will probably be your best bet at under $200 (I don't know the price, maybe $125 - $150, pipe up, gang!). Comes with a variety of sized mandrels and a manual hydraulic jack. This thread is worth reading to help you get some ideas:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ht=tube+bender

Keep an eye on CL often awesome deals come up, but "ya gotta stay on top of it". Here are some examples:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...freight+bender

The rod is an easy bend with the first bender I linked you to, clamp and spin. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by bearston; 04-23-2013 at 03:50 PM.

When a welder tells you to "stick it", what do they really mean?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

I'd want to know what kind of bends? Long rolling bends, or tight radius bends?

For square tube or pipe, a JD2 is the way to go.
    But it wont do 1/2" round bar.

Find a good used hossfield #1 or #2 you can buy dies to bend anything a little $$ but its uses are endless and you can make your own dies to bend round and flat stock. American bender sells die sets that and the bender it is the exact same as the #2. I use mine every day

Hiding in a concrete mancave, Richmond, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    For square tube or pipe, a JD2 is the way to go.
    But it wont do 1/2" round bar.
    My JD2 model 32 bender can bend round solid bar up to 1-1/2". With the proper dies, it can bend round tube up to 2-1/2" and square tube up to 2". Along with schedule 40 pipe up to 2". Also metric pipe and tube die sets are available.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Scooter

Lincoln Weld-pak 155 - .030 Solid wire & 75/25 gas mix
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Hypertherm PM 85
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 38
    Gas ax with rose bud attachment

@ Econdron - scored a Pro-Tools MB 105 Standard Bender today direct from James Mason (Pro-Tools). The MB 105's capabilities: 1/2"-1 3/4" Diameter Round Tube; 1/2" -1 1/2" Square Tube; 1/4"-1 1/4" Schedule 40 Pipe; Aluminum, HREW, Mild Steel, Stainless Steel, Chromoly, & DOM.

We talked for awhile and James cut me a sweet deal, including a stop & degree ring combination AND plans to fabricate a bender stand, on the package.

Will def be talking with James when ready to buy a tube notcher. Shaka!
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Mano what did you have to give for your bender?
    Miller Bobcat
    Harris cutting outfit
    Miller spectrum 625 plasma
    Variety of shopmade tools

@ jw3: Cost, less S&H, was $285. Note: $50 was the stop/degree ring. James is solid and certainly has his finger on the pulse of the fabrication/NASCAR industry.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

I used to own a pro-tools 105 bender, they are top notch.. so are the jd2 benders..

I suggest getting a vertical mount bender, or making a vertical mount for whatever bender you get,so you can roll it around and put it up out of the way.. Hydraulic is also a must have..

the benders arent all that expensive, its the dies that will break the bank..
    Last edited by brucer; 05-27-2013 at 02:55 PM.

I'm currently working on fabing a takacs cycles air/hydraulic tube bender it uses pro tools 105 dies and like he said those are what breaks the bank almost 300 ea but I guess I'll be limited to square and round tube with mine unless maybe I can modify it to bend angle and flat bar
    Miller Syncrowave 210 w/CK FlexLoc 150 3/6/14
    ESAB PCM 1125 Plasma Cutter
    Atlas 12x36 Lathe
    ACER 9x42 3hp mill
    Harig 612 Surface Grinder
    DRINK Machine
    welding&fabrication

I designed vertical bender to build for myself I havent got around to making it yet..

The takac cycles bender has is a nice project for sure..

@ brucer - Good advice.

Pro-Tools ripped me a .pdf of their 'standard' 105 Bender Stand (e.g. 3" x 3" x 1/4" HSS @ 30in high) for they use in their shops. Gun'a modify the "105" design and instead use a 2" x 2" x 1/4" HSS {spare from a welding table build) as the vertical member. The 2" x 2" vertical support will integrate nicely to SWAG OffRoad's "Infinite 8 Tube Bender Mounting Plate". Note: SWAG's Plates allow bending ~ in the horizontal plan, of course ~ of tube/pipe in a tight environment.

IRT hydraulics. Perhaps one day, will add this feature......

Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post
    @ brucer - Good advice.

Pro-Tools ripped me a .pdf of their 'standard' 105 Bender Stand (e.g. 3" x 3" x 1/4" HSS @ 30in high) for they use in their shops. Gun'a modify the "105" design and instead use a 2" x 2" x 1/4" HSS {spare from a welding table build) as the vertical member. The 2" x 2" vertical support will integrate nicely to SWAG OffRoad's "Infinite 8 Tube Bender Mounting Plate". Note: SWAG's Plates allow bending ~ in the horizontal plan, of course ~ of tube/pipe in a tight environment.

IRT hydraulics. Perhaps one day, will add this feature......
    When I had mine in the shop, I had it bolted to the floor, It was always in the way.. got pissed off at walking around it one day, I called a buddy of mine and sold it to him, told him to come and get it.

@ brucer - ah, there's the rub. Mine will be inset to the floor with 5/8" {recessed} Hilti anchors/fasteners......BUT will de-integrated when 'not in use' and stowed out of the way. Easy day. Nut'n but a thang!

I seen in a post about the takacs bender a guy added a Cnc controller to it pretty cool I thnk it was on the pirate4x4 site
    Miller Syncrowave 210 w/CK FlexLoc 150 3/6/14
    ESAB PCM 1125 Plasma Cutter
    Atlas 12x36 Lathe
    ACER 9x42 3hp mill
    Harig 612 Surface Grinder
    DRINK Machine
    welding&fabrication

JD2 model 4, works great worth every penny had mine 5 years or so and I love it.
    Donnelly Small Engine & Welding
    Foley Alabama

Lincoln 225 Tig
    Linoln 215 mig
    Hypertherm Powermax 65
    Ellis 1600 saw
    Ellis 6000 belt grinder
    JD2 Model 4 tubing bender
    Atlas 12"X54" metal lathe
    Lots of large hammers

I
    Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    here is the bender I would buy, if I were in the market for one..
    http://probender.com/probender/drupa...ic-tube-bender

Have you used or do you currently own a ProBender3? Recently sold a Pro-Tools 10B setup and targeting the ProBender 4LE model.

A mobile, vertical-based bender with cool design features and storage considerations -->TubeShark Benders. Made in USA.

Would be nice if this bender accepted the OEM dies from JD2 or Pro-Tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post
    I

Have you used or do you currently own a ProBender3? Recently sold a Pro-Tools 10B setup and targeting the ProBender 4LE model.
    I had a pro tools 105 for years... the pro bender looks exactly the same except mounted vertical..... I know a guy that mounted his pro tools 105 vertical with a hydraulic pump and its pretty nice, and doesnt take up near as much room as the 105 mounted on a post.