Cut 45 degree angles on pipe?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Cut 45 degree angles on pipe?

Hi,

I've tried to work this out myself but am having trouble coming up with something that works.

I am building something that uses a 6" length of pipe with an OD of 1.25" and each end needs to be cut off at 45 degrees and both ends (or cuts) need to be in line with each other, I'm not sure how to explain this bit???? The pipe needs to be cut so it has a short side (or edge) and a long side (or edge). Each end of the pipe needs to be a mirror image of the other end.

I need to cut about 20 of these so I'm trying to build a template that will hold the pipe in place so I get the cuts in right spot and at the correct angle.

Al I have to work with is a metal cut off saw. Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Cut 45 degree angles on pipe?

Fabricate a little 45 degree stop to put on the end of your saw base, about 2x2. Cut the 45 (doesn't matter how the pipe is oriented), butt the face of the angled end flush up against the stop, and make your second cut. It will be self-aligning because the face will only butt up flush one way.

So you're cutting mitered pieces, like a picture frame?
    That's easy when the part doesn't roll, but you need something to make the pipe "square".
    I would cut a section of angle a bit shorter than the short side of the pipe, to cradle the pipe in the saw, weld on a bracket and a nut, and have a bolt come in, to hold the pipe in place.

EDIT:
    Forget what I said. I like the 45 degree stop much more. That's a good one! I'll need to try that out one day.

Me too, I was all ready to tell you how I do it but Supe's idea sounds better to me.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    Fabricate a little 45 degree stop to put on the end of your saw base, about 2x2. Cut the 45 (doesn't matter how the pipe is oriented), butt the face of the angled end flush up against the stop, and make your second cut. It will be self-aligning because the face will only butt up flush one way.
    I tried that and it worked pretty well, but I found that when I cut the second end, the 'cutting' actually pulled the pipe in towards the saw and so the angle changed and so did the length.

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    I would cut a section of angle a bit shorter than the short side of the pipe, to cradle the pipe in the saw, weld on a bracket and a nut, and have a bolt come in, to hold the pipe in place.
    BINGO! I was just in the car driving for an hour and came up with the same idea. I'll give that a shot.

Thank you all for your help.

I've been told the following, but haven't tried it yet. If you are using a horizontal band saw that is firmly immobilized, make the first 45 degree cut and then reverse the pipe in the saw vise. If you hold a level on the face of the first 45 degree cut and rotate the pipe in the saw vise until the bubble centers, the second cut will match the first one. If this does indeed work with a bandsaw, should also work with a cut-off saw. I have some 2" 340SS tubing I plan to build a trailer with, and this issue will come up when I finally get started.
    TeddCo
    HTP Microcut 400 & Invertig 160DC
    Smith Dual Guard MD-510 OA Rig
    Lincoln SP135+
    Hobart Stickmate LX 235/160

There are couple of tool here.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...+finder&page=2

I use the tool in post 35. I have been using it for a few years. I use it when I do pipe rail. Basically, if the blade of the square touches both sides and the it is level then it will be lined up with the saw blade. I like it because you don't have to remember to mark anything weld anything to the metal.

I use something similar, except
    I use a piece of square tube that the pipe will slide into, just cut your square tube the same length as your pipe, with a 45 on each end.Weld a stop on one end of the square tube, clamp it in the saw and use it to line up your first 45 on the pipe (pushed tight to your stop) and now you have a length guage for multiple cuts. Just use a narrow piece of flat for the stop to let the chips out. Also, weld a nut on to clamp the pipe in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by rnrfab View Post
    I use something similar, except
    I use a piece of square tube that the pipe will slide into, just cut your square tube the same length as your pipe, with a 45 on each end.Weld a stop on one end of the square tube, clamp it in the saw and use it to line up your first 45 on the pipe (pushed tight to your stop) and now you have a length guage for multiple cuts. Just use a narrow piece of flat for the stop to let the chips out. Also, weld a nut on to clamp the pipe in the tube.
    Thanks. Great time saver. For multiple cuts on round stock.