millermatic 252 vs, 350P
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

millermatic 252 vs, 350P

Have any of you guys used each of these machines? I am debating if the 350P would be worth the extra money. I am wondering about the arc charicteristics, as well as user opinions as to picking just one of them, which it would be and why. Thanks.

Daryle.

Re: millermatic 252 vs, 350P

I can't speak for the 252, but a couple nights ago I spent some time with the 350P........I was welding 1/2" aluminum with one pass. 1/8" Aluminum came out looking like I was a pro! An amazing machine with a push-pull gun on aluminum. In steel, it performed no different than my 184 Millermatic, but on real thin stuff the pulse feature was a nice addition. If I had an extra $6K hanging around I'd be a customer.
    Roy B
    Dartmouth, Ma

http://www.rvbprecision.com

MM 185 MIG
    Diversion 165
    Purox W200 O/A
    Grizzly 9957 Mill
    Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
    Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
    Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
    CM 14" Metal Band Saw
    TP Blast Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by dad View Post
    Have any of you guys used each of these machines? I am debating if the 350P would be worth the extra money. I am wondering about the arc charicteristics, as well as user opinions as to picking just one of them, which it would be and why. Thanks.

Daryle.
    You get a real driving type arc out of the 350p and that not going to happen with the MM-252,
    Mild steel welding anyway.The 350 with it's inductance control, will give you a wider range of adjustments for gas/wire types. You really need to weld with both because they are so different. I bet you would like the 252 down on the low end of things. Soft-arc that really wets out.

I've had my 350P for about a year now and welded with 350P's for about 3 years at my old job before I got one for myself. I have not owned a 252 but have welded with all the newer Millermatics- 175, 180, 210, 212, 251 and 252. The 350P is about control. You can make the arc just about any way you want it. Soft, harsh, cold, wet, wide, narrow, fluid or fast freezing, it's all in the adjustments. The adjustments are quite daunting at first, but once you get used to them, you will love this machine.

We welded exclusively aluminum with the Python push-pull gun with the ones we had at work. They worked excellent! I weld mostly steel with mine and some aluminum with a Spoolmatic spool gun. I bought it to mig aluminum with, but found I really love pulsed spraying steel with it too. I have 3 other mig welders here (Millermatic 175, HTP MIG200 and PowCon 300SM with Cobramatics) that don't see much use now since the 350P came home to roost.

The 350P does everything and to change from steel to aluminum, all I have to do is hang up one gun and pick up the other and soon as I pull the trigger, the machine knows which gun I'm using and automatically changes all the settings to whatever settings I was last using on that gun. I have actually welded 2 projects at the same time, one in aluminum and one in steel, alternating between welding a little on one, letting it cool while welding on the other, jumping back and forth between the two different metals, all by just grabbing the right gun and pulling the trigger. Amazing what technology can do. I am very happy with the 350P.

In my opinion, the 350P is like having an XMT with built-in pulse and an XR push-pull feeder, all in one machine, for about $3000 less cost. Worthwhile investment for me.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Thanks for the real good info! I was leaning that way, but didn't want to make a decision in haste. Hopefully the local welding supply will let me play with one. They aren't THAT much more than the 252's. Thanks again gents.
    Daryle.

You can only do so much to the arc with a inductance control. Generally that is enough. Now with this Lincoln you can change much more in the area of slope, etc.. Python is a direct plug in also. I happen to have a new Tweco Eliminator pull gun that I paid $400.00 and it functions very well too.

http://lincolnelectric.mediaroom.com...p?s=43&item=78

I looked into the 252 when I needing a larger MIG welder. I ended up buying the 350P because I knew if I got the 252, then later down the road I would have wished I had gotten bigger. The does cost a lot more but I figured it was cheaper to buy the 350P upfront, instead of the 252 then a few months later getting the 350P.
    I like the pulse on thicker stuff, but for 12 ga or thinner, I use the short arc. I was using only 90/10 gas for all my mild steel welding (short, spray and pulse). and I didnt like the 90/10 for short arc. So I bought a smith gas mixer and now I cant be any happier with my 350P. I did look at the Lincoln, but I opted for the Miller on this machine due to it being more of a plug and play. The lincoln does have a few more features, but I have a hard enough time adjusting the 350P, I would be totally lost with all the features on the Lincoln.

That is what I thought too about the adjustments on the Lincoln versus Miller. With the 350P, I just set it to what the chart or program display says for the metal type, wire/gas type/size and material thickness and then play with the 3 pulse controls (arc length- which is basicaly fine adjustment of the voltage, sharp arc- which is basicaly inductance and wire speed) to get it welding how I like it to.

I would be lost if I had to set two different layers of pulse freq and pulse width or background current plus inductance, voltage and wire speed and whatever other controls the Lincoln has. I would probly end up not ever using the pulse and do everything in either short circuit or conventional spray, unless I had a whole bunch of the same thing to weld and could spend time setting it up just right to weld that one thing perfectly. I don't do volume production anymore, so the 350P works good for welding small numbers of many different things in random order. That would be alot of resetting headache with a complicated machine like the Lincoln.

I would say the Lincoln is probly better for use in a volume manufacturing environment where many hundreds or thousands of the same thing are welded all at once before switching to something else, whereas the 350P is well suited to a fabrication environment where many different projects in different materials and situations are welded randomly and you don't usually get many chances to 'practice' the weld and get the settings down just right before the weld goes into the project.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

The Lincoln is as easy to use as the MM-350P. One advantage is it's memory for different processes. In fact it is easier when set in the synergic mode.. Less adjustments for short-arc welding.( if wanted) and using it's pulse is exactly like the Miller. Although there are more types of pulse and many different short-arc programs. You can use as little or as much as little you understand. Sharp- arc would be the inductance control on the Lincoln machine and trim is the same, so then you would just use the WFS for synergic operation.. By the way, it's Rapid arc pulse is much easier to use then the Miller MS pulse-.wide sweet spot.
    Last edited by Brand X; 01-26-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Hey Guys.

Sitting here LMAO at how you're getting played.

A lot of good responses based on true experience have been given regarding the OP's original question. Lot of thought and effort went into those comments.

Go back and read the OP's previous postings (I did).

In August of 2007 he started a big discussion about the relative merits of a Tig Machine vs a Mulit Process machine. Best I can tell he bought NOTHING.

In December 2007 he started a big discussion regarding the relative merits of a Millermativ (SP) vs an Invision. Same result. Bought NOTHING.

Long periods of silence between posts. Last postings around March 08.

Now he's back wanting everyone to compare the 252 to the MM350-P.

Anybody want to take bets what the outcome will be? My bets for NOTHING.

Heck, if I really was a betting man, I'd bet there's not even a 120V mig in his garage.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

I dont know, I cant fault a guy for asking questions. It doesn't bother me what a person does with the information, somtimes its just nice to have a conversation about stuff thats of interest. If I bought every piece of welding and metalworking equipment I have asked questions about, I wouldnt have enough room in the garage to use any of them cause they'd be stacked up to the cieling covering most of the floor. I have bought a few that I finally decided on and some I keep on the 'dream list' as something to possibly look forward to at some future time.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    The Lincoln is as easy to use as the MM-350P. One advantage is it's memory for different processes. In fact it is easier when set in the synergic mode.. Less adjustments for short-arc welding.( if wanted) and using it's pulse is exactly like the Miller. Although there are more types of pulse and many different short-arc programs. You can use as little or as much as little you understand. Sharp- arc would be the inductance control on the Lincoln machine and trim is the same, so then you would just use the WFS for synergic operation.. By the way, it's Rapid arc pulse is much easier to use then the Miller MS pulse-.wide sweet spot.
    Thanks for sharing. Maybe it's not so daunting as I thought. Anyhow, I doubt I'll ever find out cause I already have the 350P and it works fine for my needs for now.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Sundown, I owe you NO explanation. You must be the best of the best huh? Maybe I should look up your post history to see if you treat anyone with respect, or maybe to pick YOU apart..... Ah, I've got better things to do.

Desertrider and the rest of you gentlemen,
    Thanks alot for your help and opinions of the equipment I asked about. I am not trying to "PLAY" anyone. Sundown is correct about not buying anything except my little Lincoln 120v mig, that I've had for a few years now. I do have that. I haven't bought any bigger machines yet, I guess I always seem to talk myself out of the stuff. I find it hard to take money for my own wants, and not get my kids or wife something that they would enjoy. I probably should word things different, given my history with asking about stuff that I would like to purchase, but haven't yet. I want to assure you all though, that I do remember what you all say, and it does help more than just me I'll bet. As for the long time in between posts... I get busy around the house or at work ( which is where I am now ). I know that most of you understand that. Well, I have to get back to work, but Thanks again to the more civilized members of the forum, for putting up with me.
    Daryle.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRider33 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Maybe it's not so daunting as I thought. Anyhow, I doubt I'll ever find out cause I already have the 350P and it works fine for my needs for now.
    Yes,
    the MM-350P is a real fine machine! Hard to find a dog in the 300 amp + inverter or chopper machines out now. Every one has it's real strong points and few weakness's. I guess you could say the same for the 250 amp rated machines too. One of my favorite machines is the Lowly 300 amp Miller Shopmate.(chopper) Just seems so solid for sticking metal together. I have been to a Miller training deal and it gets no respect. Reminds me of a larger MM-210 in many ways.

This is why I should never read these posts Here I just upgraded (three months ago) from my old Lincoln 140 to a MM180 and happy as can be when I read DR33's post on the 350P. Now I'm not a welding pro or even an amateur that welds a lot but now I WANT ONE! As DAD sez I'll probably never get it but maybe in a year or so I'll be looking at used welders on Amazon and DR33 will be dumping his 350P for Millers latest Zaptronic 10,000 Weldall and I will get my chance! Till then that slobbering sound you hear is Dad and me with our noses pressed against your shop window
    DrBob (newbie and infrequent poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Yes,
    the MM-350P is a real fine machine! Hard to find a dog in the 300 amp + inverter or chopper machines out now. Every one has it's real strong points and few weakness's. I guess you could say the same for the 250 amp rated machines too. One of my favorite machines is the Lowly 300 amp Miller Shopmate.(chopper) Just seems so solid for sticking metal together. I have been to a Miller training deal and it gets no respect. Reminds me of a larger MM-210 in many ways.
    I've never used a Shopmate. Is that mig only or mig/stick?

I used to weld with a very old Miller CP250TS mig welder. That was a real smooth machine. If I had 3-phase power, I would have kept the one I got from my old job. No 3-phase here, so I sold it and kept the XR feeder and torch that were on top of it.
    Last edited by DesertRider33; 01-28-2009 at 12:40 AM.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    This is why I should never read these posts Here I just upgraded (three months ago) from my old Lincoln 140 to a MM180 and happy as can be when I read DR33's post on the 350P. Now I'm not a welding pro or even an amateur that welds a lot but now I WANT ONE! As DAD sez I'll probably never get it but maybe in a year or so I'll be looking at used welders on Amazon and DR33 will be dumping his 350P for Millers latest Zaptronic 10,000 Weldall and I will get my chance! Till then that slobbering sound you hear is Dad and me with our noses pressed against your shop window
    DrBob (newbie and infrequent poster)
    That Millermatic 180 is no slouch. It's a really nice little machine and will do just about anything a home user would ever ask of it. I have the earlier version, Millermatic 175, which used to be my mobile mig welder before I got the Passport. It's a good little machine, especially for the price. I've welded with my friends Millermatic 180 and I like it alot. You have a nice machine there that you should be proud of.

As for dumping my 350P for the next greatest model, I don't get rid of equipment very often so you're outta luck on that deal. I still have my first mig welder, the HTP MIG200 that I bought new in '93, and don't have any plans to sell it. I don't use it as much now that I have the 350P, but still enjoy welding with it.

My shop is nothing to drool over, it's really tiny and doesn't even have a window, but it works for me.
    Last edited by DesertRider33; 01-28-2009 at 12:42 AM.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRider33 View Post
    I've never used a Shopmate. Is that mig only or mig/stick?

I used to weld with a very old Miller CP250TS mig welder. That was a real smooth machine. If I had 3-phase power, I would have kept the one I got from my old job. No 3-phase here, so I sold it and kept the XR feeder and torch that were on top of it.
    It was the DX model, DC tig/stick,and mig. It's smooth like most Chopper types are. I only used it in the mig mode with a Miller VS feeder. Probably would pick up a bit with a cable control style feeder. Still you could tell it was solid.

I guess it really doesn't matter if the OP uses this advice and buys a new machine. I wish this thread would have been here when I was thinking about buying the 350P vs the 252 (at the time I was looking it was the 251). Hopefully, someone down the road who has this same question will search and find this. At least it will help them out. I think everyone agree that bigger is better on this. The 350P can be tuned so it has the same arc as the 252, plus it has the pulse which gives it an advantage over the 252.

After I decided I wanted a 300+ amp machine, I looked at the Lincoln and the Miller. I looked at the Miller XMT multi processor (i think that the right model) and buying a feeder, I looked at the Lincoln 350MP, and the MM 350P. The XMT was going to cost to much with the wire feeder so I passed on that. For the record, I like Lincoln. Out of the 5 welders I have, Only one is a Miller (350P). I have every type of welder so I really did not need the Multi processor of the Lincoln 350MP. so the advantage of the MP is not there for me, plus I did not want to take time to switch it over. Both the lincoln and miller are good machines. I went with the Miller because the Miller had a high output. When welding 1/2"+ metal I want as much heat as I can get. The display has read 490+ amps before when I was using it.

My conclusion between the Lincoln 350MP and the Miller 350P is that if you need a MP and dont mind changing out the leads, gun, foot pedal, torch, then go with the Lincoln. But if you own miller and like them or need more amps, or only need a easy simple to use mig, then go with the 350P. Both are good machine and do what they say they will.