The Great "Longevity VS ChuckE2009" Showdown of 2013, What Really Happened
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Great "Longevity VS ChuckE2009" Showdown of 2013, What Really Happened

Goodmorning, everyone!!

Okay, so lets face the elephant in the room... errr, uhh thread, I mean.

We all know that Longevity recently sent out one of their newest units, the ProMTS-200 for me to review and use in my videos, and things... Haven't gone so smoothly.

I spent last weekend on Vacation, hanging out on Lake Erie and spending some time in and around the city of Cleveland, Ohio with some people I know up there.

I knew things weren't going well on the internet, so I temporarily uninstalled the "YouTube" app on my iphone and decided to take a couple days away from this issue.

When I got home lastnight, I felt great, but I've received a couple emails from Simon, of Longevity, and one of them asked me to add my thoughts to this thread:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=271981

And instead of further hijacking that thread, I decided to just start my own and explain everything in depth. I understand this may be like pouring gas on a fire, and although I was completely "over" this problem, Ive been asked to come back to it, and I'm also aware that rumors are circulating all over the internet about whats really going on... So, fine, I'll sit down and type this out and explain it to those who want to know. I thought we'd worked to great lengths to let this all blow over, but if people want to hear of this story, here goes.

*clears throat*

A couple weeks ago... I received a couple boxes from my first sponsor company... Longevity. I knew they contained a ProMTS 200 and a TigWeld 200, but I had received no further information, and by this point, I knew the routine pretty well. I'd just open them up, make a couple unboxing videos, use them for a while, torture test, and review them...

And I was pretty thrilled.

I knew of the ProMTS, and its specs were impressive. It looked to be a solid unit, and the accessories I had seen looked great as well.

So, I did what I do best... Started making a new video.

I began the shoot on Tuesday... I got the unboxing started, and finished it up on Thursday morning...

I discovered I had some issues... The machine had drive rollers for another machine, and it was missing a gas hose, and a regulator fitting. I think these were all the problems it had, idk, I'm getting ready for school right now and dont really have time to go through a 36 minute video at the moment.

Anyway, I had some issues. I tried to call Longevity's tech support on Thursday afternoon and didn't get through to anyone... And I tried to reach Simon as well, to no avail.

Before all this had happened, both myself and Longevity were planning on this being a Saturday video. My weekend videos generally get more views than those posted on weekdays, so I had told them I'd post the video then, and they were pleased with that.

Now, back to the unboxing.

I bought a new air hose and a couple fittings from a local store, after cannibilizing a different welder for that missing fitting. I fired up the ProMTS and it was a very nice machine once we had gas going to it.

This is where I'll add in that I got no manual or other instructions with the unit. I was later informed that I was supposed to get a CD-Rom containing a manual, which would have been nice to have. I also learned that Longevity puts the manuals to their machines online, but again, I was unaware of this at the time.

But thats okay, I've welded a *couple* times before, so it'll be alright...

I got to work, and had the machine putting down metal in no time. The Stick mode seemed really nice, save for a stinger lead that didn't work so well with 3/32" electrodes. I thought it had a nice arc, and was very controllable, and I even used it in another video on the 7018 "Z" weave. It worked very nicely...

The MIG mode was a little harder, being a fully synergic mig, it does a lot of the work for you. It sets the WFS, and you simply tell it how many amps you want, and what size wire you're running, and it sets itself. The MIG gun was of very high quality, and again, onve its dialed in, it has a very nice MIG arc. I will say that this is one of the best inverter MIG platforms I've EVER used...

And then there's the TIG mode. I quickly figured out that it operates on a "Lift-Arc" system, which I got used to in no time. I commented that I liked the torch, it also was of very nice fit and finish. Nice, hard red plastic beautifully accented the "grippy" rubber that other parts were made from. It was a flex-head 26 series, with a thump amperage control, and I really liked it.

I got the machine set to TIG mode, and started working with it, but I knew something still wasn't right... I was getting bad porosity and I couldn't get the amperage wheel to work at all.

But, by this point, I had still heard nothing from Longevity, so I decided to wrap up the video and post it at our previously agreed upon time. Sure, some things weren't perfect, but I'd done all I could think to do. On saturday morning, this video posted, right on time, to thousands of my YouTube fans:

And it wracked up views, and only minites after posting, people started hammering on Longevity and bashing the unit.

I did all I could to emphasize that I thought it was a good unit, with good accessories and just had a few problems, but at the end of the day, this was the hand I was delt, and I had to roll with what I got.

The Longevity guys were NOT happy, and released their official response video shortly thereafter:

This was a good video to see... They were very professional in making it, and addressed the problems I had tried to solve myself.

After a little trial and error, I got the TIG torch working. Turns out nothing is wrong with it, but you have to set the machine to "SPOOL GUN" in order to make the amperage control work.

I received a number of emails, and phone message from the Longevity guys, and they were understandably, pretty unhappy that I had released that first video while the machine was having issues.

And I sat down to think of my next move.

I felt as though some people made this out to be MY fault, when in reality, I just took something I received and made the video about it that I had said I would, and as I always do. At the end of the day, its NOT my fault that the machine arrived with missing parts. I wasn't the one who failed to put a manual in with the machine. I wasn't the one who dropped the drive rolls for another machine in that box. I know I sure didn't short anyone out of a gas fitting or decided not to include a gas hose. Ya know, "Dont Shoot the Messanger" kind of applies here.

But anyway... In talking to Simon, he explained that this was simply a "Demo" unit, and not a production machine, that they had pulled from their warehouse and sent me. According to him, this is a non-production, trial run machine, and thus, should be expected to have a few minor issues.

And at the end of the day, like I said, that TIG torch worked just fine, it however wouldn't function because I didnt have the machine set to "Spool Gun".

So, I was wrong about something I said in the first video. Exactly one week after my initial video posted, I released this, to the public:

with the following statement:

"I made this video because I had said that the torch had some issues when in reality it did not... I unintentionally spread misinformation and no matter what the cause of that was, I apologize"

And then, I got bashed along with Longevity and again, with the machine. A number of people called "BS" on the "Demo Unit" story, and a few Longevity supporters got into a comment war with the haters.

This just made things worse, but I made it clear that the amperage control functions flawlessly, and that I was wrong in the last video, and that was my aim.

It was the first I had heard this this was a demo unit as well, and I wish I had known that beforehand.

I would have got the machine setup, and THEN made the video... I would have been like "These were the issues we had, because this is a new machine and not yet on the market, but they'll be fixed before they go up for sale"

With that being said, you can currently buy ProMTS's, and I've discussed product testing with other companies in the past. Their conditions are ALWAYS along the lines of "Whatever happens with the unit, NO ONE needs to know about it right now, we'll send you one when it reaches the production phase".

But regardless, this would be a reason why the unit had the issues it does.

Let me be clear, Longevity has been great to work with... Its overall been an extremly beneficial relationshup for both of us, and although I do have the occasional issue with one of their products, its never more serious than "It didn't come with a plug", or "it needs a gas hose", or something along those lines. I've never had any problems with their units, and this ProMTS issue is something that could have been solved with a simple phone call, but its spiraled almost out of control and has been a miserable experience for both myself and Longevity.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT starting this thread to bash my sponsors, I won't do that. Just like I wont put them in head-to-head comparisons with eachother or use filler metal from one in the machine of another, without their consent. I consider things like this to be unprofessional, and not something I will do, much less while I'm in the starting phases of my internet career.

I had previously been informed that Longevity wanted to let this all blow over, they said it would be the best way to let this mess settle down, and I was willing to go that route over making this a huge internet debate, as I didnt see anything but bickering and mud slinging coming from that. But now they want to hear my side in a public forum (props to them, that takes guts), and I know many other people want to, as well.

So, here we are. These are the issues I had, this is how I fixed them (or tried to), and this was the outcome.

The ProMTS is an inanimate object and immune to taking sides... So, I'll say it IS a nice powersourse, and the accessories that come with it ARE very nice. But, it still should come with a gas hose, standard fittings, parts that work with it, and a good printed manual.

The only thing is, I am not willing to, or attempting to, take the fall for these problems which are clearly not of my doing. So no, I'm not apologizing for making Longevity look bad, I apologized in that video because I said something didnt work, and it, in fact, did. At the end of the day, whatever I get, is whatever makes the video, for better or worse. This honest approach to things is what gives me and my reviews credibility and makes them worth watching. 'Merica

But regardless, this is the full story of the machine, and the three videos as it happened, from my side of the fence.

Just thought I'd share
    a.k.a ChuckE2009 on Youtube

Re: The Great "Longevity VS ChuckE2009" Showdown of 2013, What Really Happened

Well man as long as they are being cool to ya and not trying to hold things over your head or bully ya into saying what they want you say I guess I'm cool with em...but I got no use for bullies at all!

If it were me I prolly would have just sent the missing parts and instruction manual instead of making a video and commenting on your video.....but whatever.

But lets be honest here. They have seen all of your videos and know you unbox them and try it out in font of the camera. So they have nobody to blame bt their selves for getting a bad review. And IF they want you to unbox the machines and work out the bugs before you shoot.....that's kinda crooked.

And btw they have a home made gas hose in their video too.

Just keep being honest man and if someone has a problem with it don't hesitate to give them the boot. I for one respect honestly and I'm sure your other viewers do too.
    Last edited by jamesyarbrough; 05-06-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Victory Journeyman Outfit
    Hobart Handler 140
    Makita grinders

That's show business.

I used to sell a $45,000. piece of electrical calibration equipment. Our demo model was the original engineering prototype with the usual circuit board hacks and wire-wrap jumpers here and there. It was the size of a refrigerator, weighed 600+ pounds and had to lie on it's back in a van for transport. Sometimes when setting up, it refused to boot up. Had to take out one specific circuit card, wave it in the air (while reciting unprintable words) and plug it back in. Then it would work. During a demo in front of a dozen or more people, the computerized machine would sometimes hang. I developed the knack of unexpectedly announcing to the audience that this machine was so good, I could do a hard reset anytime and it wouldn't hurt a thing. "Just watch". Then I'd kill it, restart and things would be fine. All part of the spiel.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

Now watch as Longevity tries to cover their tracks, I already see it.
    Miller Maxstar 200 SD
    Optrel Sperian E680 Auto Darkening Helmet

Hope we don't end up with another beer and popcorn thread here...
    Issues Longevity knows about and needs to fix:
    Not including owner/operator manual with the machines. This is just legal liability as well as a customer satisfaction issue. I have talked with Simon about this. If its a demo or pre production unit, that's fine and needs to be made clear prior to testing. Also no manuals written in Engrish.

Get all the accessories correct and in the box the first time.

Don't use funky, non-standard connectors. The demo units I received had this issue... Simon told me it was corrected on production models.

Lance, u need to clarify your agreement with Simon. If u have an unresolved issue, do u post anyway or wait for clarification first? I have always emailed Simon first of I cannot resolve an issue before posting about it. Remember, once its on the Net, there is no take backs...

You might want to define sponsor. Personally, I was offered a %age of sales and flat out refused because I felt it would put my objectivity in question. Instead I aske Simon to pass that $ on as a discount to any customers that I refer to them. Its pretty easy to become a distributor of their products if one wanted too. I have shipped one machine back to them because of issues I felt gave the machine a failing grade and posted why in their forum.
    4 Sale: GoWeld $395obo
    MM350P w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    ESAB 300AVS
    Everlast PowerTig 185 micro
    ESAB 875 plasma
    Evo 355. OA

Man, there's a lot I could say.

To spare everyone, I won't.

I can understand things don't always go out right the first time. I have gotten into a habit of ritually checking components over so I'm as sure as I'm going to be the machine arrives in working condition, with all its parts, etc intact.

That said, but especially in this case with it being a demo model unit & being the user is being compensated by the company providing the machinery, I might have postponed posting the video until I had gotten with the company, rectified the issues & had a clear understanding what I was going to post & that they were aware of it. I think anyone being compensated to even a small degree owes the company they're working with both discretion & decorum when it comes to reviewing their products. It's not being deceptive, it's simply being discerning & reasonable. DJ made a good point about that & I was writing my post when he posted his.

Another reason I detest internet sites like ePay. It gives some individuals the power to publicly throw the seller under the bus over an honest mistake or a total misunderstanding, leaving them with almost little to no recourse & putting them in a situation where they are forced into a defensive position from the beginning, having to "prove" their innocence in a skewed court of sometimes rabid public opinion. I'm not necessarily saying anyone is fully in the wrong here, but everyone can see how quickly a couple petty details can get entirely blown out of proportion on the Internet. Again, like DJ said, once it's on the net, it's there forever.

Not the end of the world, Lanse. You're a good young man & you're learning every day. Take the experience to heart, learn from it & be aware all your options.

In layman's terms its called CYA #1.

It comes with plenty of experience, mainly being young & jumping the gun a few more times than I would like to admit

IMHO of course
    Last edited by 7A749; 05-06-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks Lanse for coming on here and posting about it! The video did not go as planned, but it was mostly our fault! We made a mistake with the rollers and gas hose. He put a video out there quicker than we could fix the issue. Keep in mind we are also closed on weekends.

What we have done to correct these issues is we pieced together the missing stuff and have sent the factory samples for the connectors so the EURO style fitting is gone. If you do not mind using a hose clamp, it works just as well as a barbed fitting.

I have personally enjoyed working with you and look forward to many years of a successful relationship for both! I never asked anyone to apologize for anything, but I think we both learned a good lesson as we both grow! People are watching, and they are itching for something to pick at! We provided you with just that to show and that is not an excuse.

I enjoy Lanse's no BS reviews, and honestly when he states the likes the machine, it is the truth. If he states something sucks, we take his and other customer opinions and implement them!

Overall, when this all blows over, and we also do some internal videos, people will see that Longevity machines can compete with the top brands. We work hard daily to make sure that happens, and have the best producer making our machines in China along with with the bigger brands on the SAME assembly line. We are the only private label company in America granted that privilege aside from the BIG 4-5 companies. That says a lot and you can see the build quality of some of the comparison photos!

Great learning lesson, but in the end our machine works as advertised comes with a TIG torch and amp adjust wheel, and there will be others to put it to the test as well to prove it! I hope Lanse does the same in the future as he updates you guys on the quality of it all!
    Cheers

Phone: 877-566-4462 x 201
    Email: simon@longevity-inc.com
    Web: www.longevity-inc.com

Email for any questions about LONGEVITY!

All the HONEST reviews just went out the window Longevity will tell you from now on what to say and put in your VIDEO'S To bad
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    HF 95136 and 60767 Plasma Cutter
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

man, good on you lance for not just giving the vendor what they want to hear, I think many would feel intimidated to say anything negative about a machine that was just given to them from a sponsor but here you didn't pull any punches

what I don't get is why if a manufacturer is going to send product out for a review that will potentially be seen by thousands, why would you sent a demo prototype with missing stuff? I would almost expect the exact opposite. I would expect a manufacturer in this situation to send out their best effort rather than just an extra machine that's not truly representative of what an end customer would expect to receive

car manufacturers have been known for years to wind up sending out tweaked models for reviews, pick the best of the lot to represent rather than just picking the one that's really not sellable so less of a loss in giving it away... I would expect something that goes out for a review to be scrutinized much more than even the normal run of the mill every day stuff going out to customers, not the opposite
    miller 330a bp TIG
    miller dynasty 200DX TIG
    millermatic 185 MIG
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 101 plasma cutter
    snap-on YA5550 plasma cutter
    hypertherm powermax 30 plasma cutter
    baileigh CS225 cold saw
    etc....

Quote Originally Posted by turbocad6 View Post
    man, good on you lance for not just giving the vendor what they want to hear, I think many would feel intimidated to say anything negative about a machine that was just given to them from a sponsor but here you didn't pull any punches

what I don't get is why if a manufacturer is going to send product out for a review that will potentially be seen by thousands, why would you sent a demo prototype with missing stuff? I would almost expect the exact opposite. I would expect a manufacturer in this situation to send out their best effort rather than just an extra machine that's not truly representative of what an end customer would expect to receive

car manufacturers have been known for years to wind up sending out tweaked models for reviews, pick the best of the lot to represent rather than just picking the one that's really not sellable so less of a loss in giving it away... I would expect something that goes out for a review to be scrutinized much more than even the normal run of the mill every day stuff going out to customers, not the opposite

Very well said. I bet stonghand tools was kinda peeved when he said thier table was too thin and warped after welding on it. But he did it anyway! I think their silence on the issue is a better way to go rather than go on the defensive and do damage control.

I can tell ya one thing. If I were the customer and I recieved that box, I would be screeming for a full refund! But I believe longevity only warranties parts and labor.....not a satisfaction guarantee with full refund of the purchase price. So I guess I would be screwed in that hypothetical situation.
    Hobart Handler 140
    Makita grinders

Looked to be a truthful review to me, but that's not probably what they were looking for.
    HF 170 amp/240 volt Mig (cap mod)
    HF 180 amp/240 volt Mig (cap mod)
    71 VW Convertible (working on it)
    63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
    96 Kawasaki Voyager XII

I cannot comprehend how a company could send a product out to someone who does online videos without making sure it's "all there" and ready to work not once but twice. They did the same thing the 42i IIRC.

Lanse. It seem like just yesterday you were a kid with a dream, now you have just sold out to the man.

Just kidding, I enjoy the vids!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesyarbrough View Post

I can tell ya one thing. If I were the customer and I recieved that box, I would be screeming for a full refund! But I believe longevity only warranties parts and labor.....not a satisfaction guarantee with full refund of the purchase price. So I guess I would be screwed in that hypothetical situation.
    I'm not going to go all out & defend the importer here, but I don't even offer a money back guarantee on machinery I sell. A warranty & a money back guarantee are two entirely different things.

However, I go over it with meticulous detail before it leaves my shop. To date I can count the number of issues I've had with problematic machinery failing on one hand. I will proudly say my reputation in the business precedes me in that regard. I work hard to keep it that way tho. Now..... Experiences with nasty, unreasonable buyers who jump the gun & attempt to publicly crucify you over a total misunderstanding on their part?? Yeah, I won't even comment on that one. Lets just say its the number one reason I don't sell on ePay anymore.

I dunno why Lanse got the wrong drive wheels, etc with his machine, but some of it was operator error too. My only point is that when you end up in a situation like this, it's always best to at least give the seller the benefit of the doubt & get a line of communication open with them FIRST, before airing your views all over the Internet. That way if you don't get fair resolution, you know your review of your experience is entirely accurate & you can stand behind it 100% without having to backtrack.

Public backtracks are never a good thing. In some cases, it could cost someone a great deal of respect & credibility. It makes you look extremely unprofessional, at least in a situation where you totally jumped the gun before getting all the facts straight. The ppl on the net have no mercy when it comes to stuff like this. Then, add a touch of misinformation, sharp opinions & conjecture, you got a BS hurricane on your hands & if on a board like this, a big mess for the mods to mop up after its all said & done. Ppl become bitter enemies over crap like that, hating each other many years after the fact. It's happened here. Ill reserve my comments about certain importers who threw plenty of fuel on the fire. It's over & behind us now.

One VERY important thing to keep in mind is when you get "in bed" with a company, publicly comment on their products & receive compensation for doing so, you are obligated in some way to play by their rules. It's all part of the deal. It doesn't matter who it is, or what they manufacture or sell. That's just business.

For me, no amount of "free" machinery, etc would be worth doing reviews, etc on the net. Sure, ill rightfully give someone props if they treat me good, but when you start reviewing stuff, etc you in one way or another, become an " authority" or at very least an informed person on the products you either test or represent. That carries some heavy responsibility, in many different ways..

It's not for me anyways..

I want to add that I have the utmost respect for Lanse & admire his attitude, drive & commitment to what he does. He's a good guy & will become an excellent weldor & teacher with some time & experience.

And, no. This thread won't get nasty. We're not going there.

IMHO of course
    Last edited by 7A749; 05-06-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    I'm not going to go all out & defend the importer here, but I don't even offer a money back guarantee on machinery I sell. A warranty & a money back guarantee are two entirely different things.

However, I go over it with meticulous detail before it leaves my shop. To date I can count the number of issues I've had with problematic machinery failing on one hand. I will proudly say my reputation in the business precedes me in that regard. I work hard to keep it that way tho. Now..... Experiences with nasty, unreasonable buyers who jump the gun & attempt to publicly crucify you over a total misunderstanding on their part?? Yeah, I won't even comment on that one. Lets just say its the number one reason I don't sell on ePay anymore.

I dunno why Lanse got the wrong drive wheels, etc with his machine, but some of it was operator error too. My only point is that when you end up in a situation like this, it's always best to at least give the seller the benefit of the doubt & get a line of communication open with them FIRST, before airing your views all over the Internet. That way if you don't get fair resolution, you know your review of your experience is entirely accurate & you can stand behind it 100% without having to backtrack.

Public backtracks are never a good thing. In some cases, it could cost someone a great deal of respect & credibility. It makes you look extremely unprofessional, at least in a situation where you totally jumped the gun before getting all the facts straight. The ppl on the net have no mercy when it comes to stuff like this. Then, add a touch of misinformation, sharp opinions & conjecture, you got a BS hurricane on your hands & if on a board like this, a big mess for the mods to mop up after its all said & done. Ppl become bitter enemies over crap like that, hating each other many years after the fact. It's happened here. Ill reserve my comments about certain importers who threw plenty of fuel on the fire. It's over & behind us now.

One VERY important thing to keep in mind is when you get "in bed" with a company, publicly comment on their products & receive compensation for doing so, you are obligated in some way to play by their rules. It's all part of the deal. It doesn't matter who it is, or what they manufacture or sell. That's just business.

For me, no amount of "free" machinery, etc would be worth doing reviews, etc on the net. Sure, ill rightfully give someone props if they treat me good, but when you start reviewing stuff, etc you in one way or another, become an " authority" or at very least an informed person on the products you either test or represent. That carries some heavy responsibility, in many different ways..

It's not for me anyways..

IMHO of course

Yep I hear ya.

Well lets just hope lanse doesn't loose any credibility in all this.
    Hobart Handler 140
    Makita grinders

Quote Originally Posted by jamesyarbrough View Post
    Yep I hear ya.

Well lets just hope lanse doesn't loose any credibility in all this.
    I feel entirely the same way. He's a good dude.

Can't stress enough CYA #1!!!

I think Lanse handled this properly in the end. I would have held off on the video until I spoke with someone, but that's just me. Part of what makes Lanse different from most reviewers is that although he has his Hobart training behind him, he isn't an expert, and he is going to make a mistake now and then. Most users can relate to that.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression. If I was selling a product that I knew had the possibility of being seen worldwide, I would only send complete units. I also never purchase half baked cakes no matter how good the taste.

Generation after generation the fools just keep buying the crap from these two clowns.

Both companies suck. Both are run by crooks near as I can tell.

But here we are 10 years later with them trying like he!! to show they are better now.

Oh well you can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bastard View Post
    Generation after generation the fools just keep buying the crap from these two clowns.

But here we are 10 years later with them trying like he!! to show they are better now.

+1

He didn't buy anything...
    All demo stuff.

And I think it's time may be up in this forum...

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.

Speaking from first hand experience, or just a gut feeling? How many machines from either company have you run? Inquiring minds would like to know.
    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    SG Spool gun

LN-25
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200
    PowerArc 300
    3 SA-200s
    1800 Ellis saw
    Powermax 1250, CNC table

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    He didn't buy anything...
    All demo stuff.

And I think it's time may be up in this forum...

...zap!
    If it is a thread in a sponsor forum, I don't see issue with it. Anything Lanse has said on WW is tame compared to lots of comments I have seen from other members.

BTW just about every reviewer from every market from welders to autos to kitchen appliances paid or not will minimize the negative and emphasize the positive. Had a buddy that was projects manager for 4wheeler magazine. He explained that if u put too much negative and not enough positive in a review, you loose the advertizer. Basically any time u read a review interpret neutral comments as negative, good comments as average and the rave comments as the good review.

I gave Longevity an F for the terrible inaccuracy of the current readout and dial of the 200sx. Sent it back to them and still they wanted me to review another machine... But I still think the Forcecut is a great little plasma and night and day difference compared to the 200sx welder in quality and performance. One thing I won't do is apologize for comments I post reviewing a product.. If a manufacturer does not like it, then they don't have to send me anything to review. Simple as that.
    4 Sale: GoWeld $395obo
    MM350P w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    ESAB 300AVS
    Everlast PowerTig 185 micro
    ESAB 875 plasma
    Evo 355. OA

Let me see if I got this right:

They sent out an evaluation machine and wanted an immediate video of the unpacking and first operation. What they sent out wasn't really operational as shipped. They didn't return phone calls but pressed for the video. Then they were unhappy when the video wasn't all sweetness and joy.

They can't have it both ways: ship non functioning equipment and expect immediate praise even though it doesn't work.

As for the gun not working properly because the operation was non intuitive without the manual, well that's an important issue right there. Most good equipment should operate with little or no digging in the manual. When I used to evaluate PC equipment, we did it mostly without the manual. If we had to use the manual, we knew that most of our users wouldn't be able to make it work even with the manual.

I'm retired from 30 years evaluating PC equipment for internal use in a major US corporation. I had many evaluation units from IBM, HP, Compaq, Dell, etc. They always provided good, priority support. Many units were beta (pre production), some were production. Of course when things didn't work and they couldn't help make it work, that affected the decision. If their support was lacking (which happened for some of the smaller suppliers), that definitely affected the approval of the equipment.

Lanse, it sounds like you did as requested: an honest immediate video of the unpacking and initial impression. It's their fault that it didn't work as they planned.

But also Lanse, you are trying to walk a tightrope: you want a "sponsor" but the sponsor has issues. Do you put forth an honest video, or do you flack for the sponsor? You really can't have it both ways. So far, your integrity is intact but free goodies will weigh on your reputation.

As for Longevity, well the old rule remains intact: you get what you pay for. If you want perfect out of the box equipment, it will cost more and take longer. If you are willing to trade low price for troubleshooting and frustration and poor customer support, well then maybe it's a good deal.

Lanse is a great "down to earth" videographer and demonstrator of welding and cutting equipment. The Ohio farmboy in him has shown up in his honesty and integrity.....an incredibly valuable attribute. Keep um coming Lanse!

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Lanse is a great "down to earth" videographer and demonstrator of welding and cutting equipment. The Ohio farmboy in him has shown up in his honesty and integrity.....an incredibly valuable attribute. Keep um coming Lanse!

Jim Colt
    +1 @ Lance. Though I can't say that about Longevity.