Info Needed: Regency 250 w/ 22A MIG
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Info Needed: Regency 250 w/ 22A MIG

A friend of a friend is selling a Miller Regency 250 with a 22A MIG attachment for what seems to be a decent price. I want a machine that can handle 1/4" to 3/8" on a regular basis, yet still be able to throttle down to lighter gauge if needed.

My friend has seen the rig and says it is in very good condition, adding that his friend is pretty anal about his stuff.

I've been looking at new 200/250 Lincoln MIG machines, but the asking price for the Miller is <1/2 of what a new Lincoln 215 would run. That has it's attraction! I've downloaded the manuals for both the 250 and the 22A, and it seems to be what I'm looking for.

Anyone running the Miller combination (or similar), in either a production or small shop environment, that would care to relate their experiences would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Rex

Re: Info Needed: Regency 250 w/ 22A MIG

I don't own one but from a service standpoint, the Regency-250 is a very reliable machine. There are no pc boards to go bad and are very simple to maintain and they weld great. It should be a nice reliable combo...

Thanx for the input, Doc.

Rex

I would buy one in a heartbeat!! My friend had the 200 model and it welded very nice. I think the arc is just better on these older units. Meaning a good combo of crispness and wet out. of the weld bead. It will Spray-arc .035 solid wire very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post

It will Spray-arc .035 solid wire very well.

BrandX, I'm not too familiar with MIG processes. What exactly is "spray arc"?
    I have used a MIG machine in the past for a short while, and found I got some pretty solid welds in relatively short order. I'm guessing the "frying bacon" sound is not spray arc.

Rex

BrandX, while you were assigning homework, I did a forum search on "spray mig". That led me to a couple of really good threads, as well as some good links (the ESAB one among them), and a couple of downloads. I think I've got a handle on the process now (whether I can do it remains to be seen).

If I get the Miller combo, it looks like there will be some experimentation goin' on!

Thanx,

Rex

I don't know anything about the Regency machine, but I have used the 22/24A feeders with Bernard guns and they work good. The only bad thing about them is the open wire reel can get dust on it if grinding is going on nearby, or if you're using it with fluxcore or dual-shield. I prefer an enclosed box feeder like the XR or Suitcase but the 22/24 work just fine. In a clean, high-production shop, the wire won't hang around long enough to get much dust on it so may not be an issue for you.

Spray is fun and easy. Try it, (with some good, thick gloves on) you'll love it!
    Last edited by DesertRider33; 02-10-2009 at 12:47 AM.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic