Too Good to be True from Craigslist
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Too Good to be True from Craigslist

Hey guys i was looking at craigs list like i do everynight. Came across a ad for a Miller TB302 on a trailer with 100 feet of lead for 2100. Emailed right a way. Send several emails over the past day. Took some customers out on the town last night and when i got home, i noticed that the add wasn't on anymore. So i told myself that the guy must of sold it allready.
    This morning i get this email......

"See more pictures attached .Look, I 'm now in Birmingham UK, and will be moving here permanently soon, but I am using SafeTransports services so I can sell the generator from this far away. They have it in a storage place in Detroit MI since I left . They will take care of the shipping , paperwork, and everything else. Also, there's a return policy included. So if you want to buy it, please let me know and I will explain you how SafeTransports works and how we can proceed. Please excuse me for my grammar use, I had a stroke six months ago and I’m recovering.

So i have sent a couple of emails to him and he has sent some back. I will not pay for nothing till it is setting in my shop. I told him that i would pay for machine COD and he didn't have a problem with that. We will have to see what happens.
    I will keep you posted. If it is a scam i will let you all know on here what i find out, so some pooor sucker don't get taken.

Aaron Beckman
    Ag Specialties

Re: Too Good to be True from Craigslist

I ran across nearly the same ad about six months ago when i was in the market for one and it just sounded to fishy to me so i passed on it. Be careful!
    American by birth Southern by the Grace of God

Good catch. It IS a scam. Craigslist has a warning about such ads at the top of each page. My wife and son-in-law checked on 'too good to be true' ads in the past that were discovered to be scams before any damage was done.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

i will see if i can find that add in my cookies and post it here sooo everyone can see it. I run four TB and am always looking for more. This just seemed to good.

Aaron

The story is practically the same it's just the item for sale changes. Yesterday there was a 2004(?) GMC 2500 4X4 LOADED in our local section of craigslist for only $3500.00. Pictures of the thing had 6-8' snow banks in the background. Trouble is we don't get that kind of snow in the Beaumont Texas area. Ad is now gone as well.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

craigslist flagged it lastnight just for that reason. I hate scammers. Should be shot.

Obviously they're successful on occassion or you wouldn't keep seeing those kinds of ads. And yes, they should be shot.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Be careful, these scammers can reproduce official looking documents from legitimate businesses. My dad got took on a scam for a computer for $200, He thought an email he got from DHL was legit, wrong! He was told that he would be able to try out the computer for up to 5 days, if he liked it he could pay the balance(he paid $200 down through western union to the scammer) to DHL. I told him to get away from it but he was convinced that the DHL document was legit. When he finally called DHL they immediately transferred him to the fraud department, I guess they heard that story before.
    - If you can jump across it you can weld it! - anonymous old boilermaker

Everything I have posted on craigslist is an immediate followup of at least one scam offer.
    Times are tough right now, and im seeing a lot of things people are selling for dirt cheap (myself included).
    The scammers are loving it right now i'm sure
    A guy I know got taken by a scamming shipping company for something he bought off of ebay. The scammer took his money,and he had to drive out to st louis (from Jersey) to pick it up

Craigslist even has scammers in the free section, if only to get addresses. Note the tattoo ad; it's been showing up at least a dozen times a day even though it's always been flagged by the time I see it, even when it's first or second from the top. BTW, he gets no free press here; his address (showing in the ad) is now 'dead'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [ help ] [ post ] SF bay area craigslist > free stuff

Next>> Found: 1000 Displaying: 1 - 100
    [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ]
    Feb 8 - FREE HAIR STUFF - (berkeley)

Feb 8 - Queen Size Foundation and Frame - (campbell) pic

Feb 8 - Exterior Door, Screen Door, Dual Paned Windows, Dog House - (fremont / union city / newark) pic

Feb 8 - Free Items - Antioch - (pittsburg / antioch) pic

Feb 8 - free stuff for a handyman/contractor- free mortar and additive - (san jose north)

Feb 8 - Absolutely Free Tattoo/Google me @ tattoo-xxad@xxxxxxx.com - (dublin / pleasanton / livermore) pic

Feb 8 - RCA cable modem model # DCM245 - (petaluma) pic

Feb 8 - free HP color laser printer 4550 - (san jose south)

Feb 8 - FREE Student Corner Desk - (lafayette / orinda / moraga) pic

Feb 8 - free couch - (santa cruz) pic

Feb 8 - Packing peanuts - Packing popcorn - Pkg styrofoam - (vallejo / benicia)

Feb 8 - drum set for 360 xbox guitar hero - (south san francisco) pic

Feb 8 - futon sofa bed modern microfiber - (oakland piedmont / montclair) pic

Feb 8 - Free Organic Garden Soil - (noe valley)

Feb 8 - Free Moving Boxes - (sausalito)

Feb 8 - free Biotone massage lotion and gel - (oakland north / temescal)

Feb 8 - Aluminum ducts for dryer ventilation - (oakland lake merritt / grand)

Feb 8 - Free clean dirt approx 5 wheelbarrels - (fremont / union city / newark)

my first clue was he didn't leave a phone number or and email address. If they don't leave and address or email, that should clue you in. I hate these people!!!!

I've recieved almost that exact email word for word 2 or more years ago! Definitely a scam. The part about him just having had a stroke is what made me remember it. DO NOT SEND THAT GUY ANY MONEY!
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

I have seen these also. there are lots of scams on craigs list for sue. I have also seen them on ebay. They make very legitimate looking pages and emails. I cept the communication I had for a Honda generator going as long as I could without sending money and turned all the amails over to Ebay's safe harbor. I don't think anything was ever realy done about it. these scammers usually use western union or some ther payment system that you cant get your money back. Never send a payment using these methods.
    Hobart Handler 140
    Victor O/A

Many of them aren't in the country so it's hard for law enforcement officials to do anything about them. Officials in places like Nigeria may even have a stake in their success.

What really boils my blood is that he threw in the whole stroke thing. He doesn't deserve to be shot, he should suffer. I almost went ballistic when I got one of those email scams and they were trying to pass themselves off as a soldier in Iraq. The scum that are allowed to live and breath in this world . . .
    Mike
    Constans Fides et Integritas
    Lincoln Weldanpower 150 AC
    Airco Aircomatic MIGet CAV II w/ spoolgun
    Millermatic 30a wirefeeder

hey ag where are you located?

I knew someone who was selling something and got a reply from a lowlife wanting to send money by Western Union or some such method, and have someone pick the "item" up for 'him'. I suggested my friend reply with the address of the local FBI office, just for fun if not not for real effect; this , of course, after informing the office about the scam.

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!

What are you gonna do?- Go to the UK and find the skum? Then what??
    Once he has the money he's gone.

Don't do it.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Hey indiana welder I am from Nebraska. I run 4 portable trucks here in the heartland. From Ag work to Strc welding to pipe welding. Do just about anything. Also have a full machine shop with some nice equipment. Am always looking for a good deal. I have found that it is cheaper for me to have an extra machine setting in the shop so when one breaks down, just back the truck under the crane and off i am. My guys can change out a welder in the truck in about 10 mins. We are never down with a truck inless the truck itself is down, I have a back up truck when that happens.

Craigslist is just full of scammers! Don't even think of shopping there.

There are plenty of genuine sellers and buyers on Craig's. Just have to be wary of the ones that arent and only do business locally, in person, with cash. In my experience, Ebay is worse than Craig's.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

We have something similar here in Canada called:

www.kijiji.ca

I'm in the market for a compact tractor for my snow removal business. Came across a 2006 Kubota with 116 hrs on it for $5500, and a 2006 New Holland with 250 hrs. for $5800. Can you say scam!

Quote Originally Posted by mrandrei View Post
    Craigslist is just full of scammers! Don't even think of shopping there.

Hackers are even using eBay now.

I have been selling stuff on eBay for a couple of years now. A few months ago I got an Email from somone wanting to more info on a laptop I had listed. WHAT? I didn't have a laptop listed. Guy wanted a "buy it now price". Fortunately, the guy doing the asking sensed something wasn't right and notified me repeatedly.

A guy in Italy had hacked into my eBay account, listed this item, AND, the scary part, hacked in to my Pay Pal account. I had a PayPal Visa debit card so I could withdraw funds as I needed. So, he had access to that also. I had my bank account linked with PayPal (debit) to pay for stuff I might buy in the event there wasn't enough money in my PayPal account. So, he could have gotten access to that.

I immediately contacted eBay, they cancelled the ad. I had to cancel my PayPal account, my bank debit card, AND, here's the real PITA- I had most of my monthly bills set up to be paid with my bank debit card. Had to redo all that stuff, after I received my new bank debit card.

Had to open a new PayPal account, and much more stuff.

Seems my eBay password - 6 letter & 2 numbers was too easy to hack.

So, It's not only Craigslist that has these Scum Balls trying to rip us off.