Powermax 1000 or Powermax 65
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Powermax 1000 or Powermax 65

Hi All I'm new on here.

I have a few questions I'm looking at a used powermax 1000 for $1500. If I buy this unit I'm sure I'm gonna eventually get the up graded torch which is approximately $500. Should I just bite the bullet and get the 65 for $2400 new? Also If I buy a new one on e-bay does it come with a warranty?

Thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by PappaWheelie; 05-19-2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Powermax 1000 or Powermax 65

If you can afford the 65 get it, At 1500 plus 500 you are very close to 2400.
    As long as you buy from a authorized seller and save your receipt,
    Warranty repairs should not be a problem. Be careful with the torch.
    Its warranty is shorter then the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    If you can afford the 65 get it, At 1500 plus 500 you are very close to 2400.
    As long as you buy from a authorized seller and save your receipt,
    Warranty repairs should not be a problem. Be careful with the torch.
    Its warranty is shorter then the machine.
    Yea I was kinda thinking the same thing but its nice to hear you say the same. I have another question. I don't have a air dryer which would you recommend?

Thanks
    Chris

I do Desiccant Air Dryers from McMaster Carr. Buy one that can meet or exceed your compressor rating. I go into a MotoGuard toilet paper filter after that to catch pieces of desiccant or dust. In the end I think its cheaper to buy a unit that can be refilled and dried. I have 2 sets of beads one goes pink put them in the over and dry them. Store them in a vacuum sealed bag ready to go.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/960/=mv14vn

part number 5163K19 pricy at $286.40 but I needed the CFM and If I gonna spend the coin I want one that can handle the CFM on my compressor for painting or anything else I want to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by worm122; 05-22-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: adding photo
    Donnelly Small Engine & Welding
    Foley Alabama

Lincoln 225 Tig
    Linoln 215 mig
    Hypertherm Powermax 65
    Ellis 1600 saw
    Ellis 6000 belt grinder
    JD2 Model 4 tubing bender
    Atlas 12"X54" metal lathe
    Lots of large hammers

If you have the money and power to run it buy the Powermax65. Yes your warranty will be good if you buy from a ebay store. This is the filter I use on all my air powered tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    Hot Max Spool Gun
    HF 95136 and 60767 Plasma Cutter
    ALPHA TIG 200X
    Lincoln 225 AC
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Quote Originally Posted by worm122 View Post
    I do Desiccant Air Dryers from McMaster Carr. Buy one that can meet or exceed your compressor rating. I go into a MotoGuard toilet paper filter after that to catch pieces of desiccant or dust. In the end I think its cheaper to buy a unit that can be refilled and dried. I have 2 sets of beads one goes pink put them in the over and dry them. Store them in a vacuum sealed bag ready to go.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/960/=mv14vn

part number 5163K19 pricy at $286.40 but I needed the CFM and If I gonna spend the coin I want one that can handle the CFM on my compressor for painting or anything else I want to do.
    That looks like a really nice setup. I find that most of the time you get what you pay for! I plan on doing some media blasting and some painting so this would be a good way for me to go. I have a question about the black pipe. I know its used to help cool the air. Does it matter if its horizontal or vertical? What length of pipe should I use and what diameter?

Thanks

I use 1/2 I have 2 vertical runs with drains at the bottom. I have read in depth articals about how you are supposed to run the air lines, but honestly In my application there is no real point. You just need dry clean air for consumable life and quality of cut and there are many ways to get there.
    Oh and I forget how much CFM 1/2 will carry but its way way over the 13 CFM my compressor will put out. So 1/2 is over kill.
    Last edited by worm122; 05-27-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: more
    Donnelly Small Engine & Welding
    Foley Alabama

Lincoln 225 Tig
    Linoln 215 mig
    Hypertherm Powermax 65
    Ellis 1600 saw
    Ellis 6000 belt grinder
    JD2 Model 4 tubing bender
    Atlas 12"X54" metal lathe
    Lots of large hammers