Extending truck rear frame rails / wheelbase length ?? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Extending truck rear frame rails / wheelbase length ??

I don't need a truck with 20,000+ lb GVWR. The slide-on utility body, compressor, welder and all related tools to my welding weigh about 3500 lbs. Even if I pack another 500 lbs of welding stuff into the new truck, I'm not going to be even approaching the 15,000 lb GVWR of the F450.

I have a 20 foot deck flatbed trailer that I use for hauling metal and other cargo that is too big or heavy to go on the truck. All the extra cargo I usually haul on the truck is just a few lengths of steel up on the lumber rack or shorter lengths in the bed.

The 450 will weigh more than my truck cause of the diesel engine, heavier rear axle and extra tires/wheels and the flatbed and side boxes, but it also won't have the weight of the crew cab body so maybe the truck will weigh 2000 lbs more than mine does without the welding stuff. My truck is 6500 lbs without the welding stuff. So if the 450 weighs 8500 lbs and I add 4000 lbs of welding stuff to it, it's still only 12,500 lbs.

I don't see where I need an F650/750 or bigger truck to haul the weight I'm hauling. A later model F350 dually could haul what I'm hauling, though it would be near it's max capacity. I like to have some cushion, so the F450 makes sense to me.

If my truck was a dually with a diesel and a 5 speed, I probly wouldn't be looking for another truck to haul the welding business. I would just make do with what I have and replace the pickup bed with a flatbed with side boxes to get more storage space.

I have thought about converting my truck to a diesel dually, but realisticaly it doesn't make sense. It would cost $15,000 and for that money I could have a later model F450/550 that would do the job better.

I have to consider fuel mileage and cost of tires and maintenance. The pickup truck sized diesels get pretty good mileage in pickup sized trucks. Some people with the Ford, Dodge and GM trucks with the 7.3L, 5.9L and Duramax diesels say they get 15 to 20 mpg and sometimes more on the open freeway. I'm getting 5 to 10 mpg and it's killing me. I can envision one of those big F650's or bigger only getting similar mileage as what I have now and with more expensive diesel fuel to buy.

We also have to pay the registration here in CA based on the weight of the truck. My fee is assessed based on the original curb weight of the truck, which was 6000 lbs, according to the factory. I already pay over $250 per year to register my F350 and it's an old truck too ('92). The state is talking about doubling our vehicle registration fees to balance the state budget now too! If I have to pay double the fee to register a truck with an unloaded factory curb weight of 10K to 15K lbs or more, I won't be able to afford to keep a license plate on the thing.

The insurance is another thing. I insure the F350 as a personal use vehicle and it doesn't cost too much. The insurance company has seen the truck with all the tools and equipment on it and hasn't said anything about it or tried to raise the rate. There's no way I'm going to be able to convince the insurance company that I'm using a 20K+ lb GVWR truck for personal use, so I'm sure my insurance cost will go up if I get a huge truck like that.

The other thing is parking. I live in one of these stupid pansy neighborhoods where nobody likes to see big commercial trucks and calls out the cops if they see one parked for too long. I get enough grief over my F350 as it is. If I brought home an F650, I'd have to find somewhere else to park it. If I lived out on the farm somewhere in cowville, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm not so lucky. Believe me, I would love to live in a place where cows are my only neighbors, my life would be alot more fun.

I can deal with whatever is the highest capacity pickup-looking vehicle, which is the F450/550 or Dodge 4500/5500, or the old GM 3500HD but anything bigger is just not practical for me.

If the biggest things I have to worry about with the F450 is a parking brake and a flywheel, I think I can handle that. My truck has been pretty good except for the emmissions/fuel sytem problem lately and I think that mystery will be solved soon. That F450 is very similar to the truck I have now, just beefed up more, so I feel I can handle whatever happens with it.
    Last edited by DesertRider33; 02-15-2009 at 09:42 PM.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRider33 View Post
    I don't need a truck with 20,000+ lb GVWR.

So if the 450 weighs 8500 lbs and I add 4000 lbs of welding stuff to it, it's still only 12,500 lbs....

We also have to pay the registration here in CA based on the weight of the truck....

The insurance is another thing....

The other thing is parking....

I can deal with whatever is the highest capacity pickup-looking vehicle...
    Sounds like you have a lot of reasons to run a small truck. But I actually was talking about just a slightly larger truck in the 15000 - 18000 GVW class.

Regardless, decide carefully, because even with the most optimistic weights mentioned you're now at 12,500 lbs. An added trailer weight of over 2500 lbs will push the F-450 combination to exceed the truck's 15,000# GVW rating, a big no-no on the road.

Here's the type of truck I was talking about:
    Attachment 28709
    I'm not suggesting that particular bed or a four-door, just wanted to post pics of the truck class I meant, and this one is for sale on ebay right now for $9,000.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6221

The medium duties will out perform an overloaded F-450 in all ways, including fuel economy, with the benefit of added safety, and reduced operation and maintenance costs.

If there was any way you could move to this class truck, I don't see how you could ever regret it.

But that's it - Whichever truck you choose, that's the frame work we'll concentrate on.

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 08-24-2009 at 10:12 AM.

There's a ropin' , ridin' , cuttin' horse trainin' dude that owns one of those 2 sections West of me. Had to damn near sue the guy to pay for a bunch of hay I sold him. I think he was payin' out too much on the truck

That damn thing's gonna cost as much as a small house
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

Thanks for the pic Den Rep. That's a nice truck, but way too much truck for my purposes.

The 15,000 lb GVWR of the F450 is the rating for the weight of the truck itself. The combined weight rating for truck and trailer together (GCWR) is 26,000 lbs.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    There's a ropin' , ridin' , cuttin' horse trainin' dude that owns one of those 2 sections West of me. Had to damn near sue the guy to pay for a bunch of hay I sold him. I think he was payin' out too much on the truck

If I was buying a truck that big, I'd want a sleeper cab on it with a kitchen and a bathroom too.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

...The 15,000 lb GVWR of the F450 is the rating for the weight of the truck itself. ...
    Correct, but also, the trailer's pin weight is added to the GVW and to each of the axle weights, as actually distributed.
    So at the estimated 12,500 GVW the truck itself is 2500 lbs away from max, without a trailer.

Okay - The Super Duty it is. Let's cut this puppy!

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 02-16-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Say Dessert a thought came to mind you may want to enquire with yoour local Dept of Transportation folks about making mods to the truck. Many state have truck inspections that are very tight against the original specs of the truck. You may want to ask what mods you can make.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    Say Dessert a thought came to mind you may want to enquire with yoour local Dept of Transportation folks about making mods to the truck. Many state have truck inspections that are very tight against the original specs of the truck. You may want to ask what mods you can make.
    That is a consideration, though I do see stretch wheelbase limos around often, as well as motorhomes with frame additions behind the axle. I guess I can contact a coach builder and ask what they have to do to be legal with DOT/DMV.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Correct, but also, the trailer's pin weight is added to the GVW and to each of the axle weights, as actually distributed.
    So at the estimated 12,500 GVW the truck itself is 2500 lbs away from max, without a trailer.

Okay - The Super Duty it is. Let's cut this puppy!

Good Luck
    True.

The pin weight of a gooseneck/fifth wheel is usually at least 15% and not more than 25% of the total trailer weight. For a tag trailer, the tongue weight is usually at least 8% and not more than 15% of the total trailer weight, except for boats, which can be as little as 5%. I don't own a boat and don't have any plans to own a big one.

So a 2500-lb tongue weight on a tag trailer would mean a trailer weighing 20,000 to 30,000 lbs and a 2500-lb hitch weight on a gooseneck/fifth wheel trailer would mean a trailer weighing 10,000 to 15,000 lbs, roughly speaking.

Either way, that's plenty of trailer for an F450 diesel, already loaded to 12,500 lbs, to be pulling and more than I would need to pull with it.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

The 19.5s are twice the tire of a 16; they're a real truck tire, with a decent side-wall to height ratio.

Good Luck

19.5's have a lot of on road load carrying capability, but they are junk off road. I can crawl thru deep sand with 30 lb of air in a one ton dually w/16" tires all day where the trucks with 19.5's all have to be dragged thru.
    But if I lived my life on the highway and had a heavy enough truck I'd use them.

JTMcC.

Some people with the Ford, Dodge and GM trucks with the 7.3L, 5.9L and Duramax diesels say they get 15 to 20 mpg and sometimes more on the open freeway. I'm getting 5 to 10 mpg and it's killing me. .

there are two things that people constantly lie about.....how much they lost playing blackjack last night, and the fuel mileage they are getting with their diesel pickup ; )
    I'm on my third diesel welding rig and these are honest numbers, we got 16 mpg with a F-350 with 6.9 Navastar, 4 speed and 4:11 gears. two wheel drive regular cab and it weightd about 9500 lb most days and comfortably cruised at 65 mph. We got 15 with a '91 Dodge/Cummins/5 spd/4:11 gears, regular cab 4 wheel drive, it weighed right around 10,500 and cruised comfortably at 72. We get 14 with a '02 Dodge/Cummins/5 spd/3:54 gears that weighs about 11,000, quad cab 4 wheel drive and will cruise comfortably at whatever the conditions allow. The Cummins in the '91 Dodge was heavily modified, the '02 Dodge is very mildly modified.

Personally I'd look at a later model extended cab truck. Brakes and cab comfort on these trucks are light years ahead of a few years ago, and the inside storage behind the seat is a major plus. But it's not my money is it ; )

I think you're right on the size of truck you need. I'm perfectly happy in 350/3500 land, a 450/4500 would work for my use (if I shortened the frame) but a 550/5500 would be overkill. I almost always work in tight confines and need short, not longer.

JTMcC.

I agree about the later model trucks and bigger cabs. I like the space I have in my crew cab. I seldom haul people back there, but always find some junk to throw back there. My theory on the regular cab is if I keep my 'junk' under control and make more space for it with more storage boxes on the bed, maybe I wont need the extra cab space. Or, I might just be kidding myself, since I've become so used to having the crew cab for so many years now. I did get along just fine for most of my life with regular cab trucks before I bought the F350 though.

On the newer year trucks, they are nicer and more advanced in every way... and more expensive too, except maybe for some with alot of miles. I don't want alot of miles though.

If I can get 15 mpg with the 7.3L diesel loaded as heavy as I am, I'll be happy. It would be a big improvement over what I'm getting now, both in mileage and power.

I hope that as long as the truck is under the GVWR, the hydroboost, rear disc brakes and big front brakes (compared to what I have now) should stop the truck ok. My current truck's vaccuum boost and rear drum brakes stop the truck fine when it's under the GVWR. Overweight as it is, it doesn't stop so great.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post

Horse farmers are either rich or they are BROKE. Either one won't pay their bills. (Sorry to all those equestrian agrarians out there that do, but you know what I mean.)
    Welders:
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Penncraft 230 (oldy but goody)
    HF Plasma 30 (Italian)
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy/Acetylene/Propane
    Lincoln SA200
    Everlast Power Tig 250 EX
    Everlast PowerUltra 205

I seldom haul people back there, but always find some junk to throw back there. .

I don't haul people either, but I do have a lot of well organized tool/stuff storage back there. I like the shortness of regular cabs, but I like the storage space in my quad cab. Plus in the winter it will hold the large amount of cold weather gear we use in a dry/heated space.

In the southwest, residential contractors are selling work trucks at very low prices. It's a good time to be buying a lot of things as the market is weeding out many people who jumped on the residential boom.

Anyway I'm sure that truck will do what you need.

JTMcC.

Just an FYI if you can crack 12 mpg i would be surprised. my F-450's will barely brake 10 on good days
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

OK,,,,,,,,,

Not getting into any of the practical stuff here, just the legal stuff.

I have more than a little experience with California laws.

You realize,,, of course, moving up to an F450, you need to get a CA number????

ONE of the requirements,,,, is at least a $750.000 liability policy, that was the rule a couple years ago, probably higher now. ,,, most personal policys shut down after $600,000. Go to a commercial policy, at least double the money.

Second thing, you realize California,,,,, being in the forefront of the environmental crap,,, has actually instituted the new diesel laws????? Anything over 14,000 gvwr has to comply????? Depending on what year that truck is,,,, it's gonna be next to impossible, to drive it on the road after the next few years.

My thinking,,,, why spend time, and money, on something, that will be legislated obsolete, in three or four years, at best???

And one more thing,,,, you are wrong about the basis for registration,,,, yeah, pickups are priced according to unladen weight,,, but once you jump up in class,,, to class four and above,,,, the price is based on actual GVWR.

Not just blowing smoke here.... right now,,,, I have three trucks, perfect mechanical condition,,,,, that will be worthless in a couple years. From class 4 all the way up to class 7.

Unless you are willing to swap a gas engine into that truck,,, you shouldn't even be considering it. Even with the low mileage exemption (under 5000 miles/year), NO exemption for particulates,,,, you still gotta spend thousands of $$$ for a particulate filter.

Good luck, and maybe you'll realize, why, now, so many trucks seem so cheap ??????

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

My 2001 Super duty stock engine with 7.3l 250 hp, automatic, 2wd, got consistently 19.7 -20.1 mpg. But it was a 250 with 3.55 rear. Don't let any one tell you a 3.55 won't pull. I maxed it out past 20k lbs. many times, mountains and hills. It had the same gvw as the the 4.10. Additionally loaded to the gills, it would get 14-17, depending on hills or flat lands. Worst I ever got was 11. I had to pull a load of "bushogs" standing straight up in the air catching lots of wind.
    Welders:
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Penncraft 230 (oldy but goody)
    HF Plasma 30 (Italian)
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy/Acetylene/Propane
    Lincoln SA200
    Everlast Power Tig 250 EX
    Everlast PowerUltra 205

The 450 will weigh more than my truck cause of the diesel engine, heavier rear axle and extra tires/wheels and the flatbed and side boxes, but it also won't have the weight of the crew cab body so maybe the truck will weigh 2000 lbs more than mine does without the welding stuff. My truck is 6500 lbs without the welding stuff. So if the 450 weighs 8500 lbs and I add 4000 lbs of welding stuff to it, it's still only 12,500 lbs.
    I doubt you will be this light. My F250 '00 4x4 7.3 extended cab weighs in at 8.5K empty, actually scaled. My new 08' 550 4x4 standard cab and chassis for the 11' bed, scales 10K approximately after you deduct the body. I'm betting you can figure 9-9.5K for that truck of yours.

I
    I have to consider fuel mileage and cost of tires and maintenance. The pickup truck sized diesels get pretty good mileage in pickup sized trucks. Some people with the Ford, Dodge and GM trucks with the 7.3L, 5.9L and Duramax diesels say they get 15 to 20 mpg and sometimes more on the open freeway. I'm getting 5 to 10 mpg and it's killing me. I can envision one of those big F650's or bigger only getting similar mileage as what I have now and with more expensive diesel fuel to buy.
    My '00 gets a solid 15mpg whether at 9K or 12K with 3.73's. Our old 97 7.3 with 4.10's got 7-8 at best running at 12K. I'm betting the rears in that are 4.30 - 4.88 so lower your numbers accordingly. Our 73 Mack 6 wheeler gets 7 at 38K. I wouldn't hold your breath for more than 10mpg at the very best. I'll bet 7-8 are more realistic #'s.

The insurance is another thing. I insure the F350 as a personal use vehicle and it doesn't cost too much. The insurance company has seen the truck with all the tools and equipment on it and hasn't said anything about it or tried to raise the rate. There's no way I'm going to be able to convince the insurance company that I'm using a 20K+ lb GVWR truck for personal use, so I'm sure my insurance cost will go up if I get a huge truck like that.
    I have State Farm. My 250 with a "utility rating" is aprox $1800/year. As a "personal vehicle" It drops less than $100 / year. My new F550 with them is classed "commercial" 1mil in coverage compared to 500K on the 250. Its $1610.04 / year ( the bill came today for the next 6 mo.) As silly as it seems my "commercial" insurance is cheaper. I'd insure the 250 commercial if they would let me!

The other thing is parking. I live in one of these stupid pansy neighborhoods where nobody likes to see big commercial trucks and calls out the cops if they see one parked for too long. I get enough grief over my F350 as it is. If I brought home an F650, I'd have to find somewhere else to park it. If I lived out on the farm somewhere in cowville, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm not so lucky. Believe me, I would love to live in a place where cows are my only neighbors, my life would be alot more fun.
    Neighbors like that suck. I have similar problems. I looked at an almost new 02 F650 before I bought the 08. Would have cost me 1/4 the price and I would have had a better engine and truck. I doubted I could convince the township it was for "personal" use. My F550 doesn't look that much bigger than an F350 with a similar body and I have it registered at just below the minimum "commercial" weight. I haven't been bothered YET (Knock on wood) PITA!

Take a VERY close look at what constitutes "commercial" where you live. For me Commercial = 1)vehicle lettered (your current truck would be commercial where I live), 2) PA DOT, vehicle over 14K, I'm registered at 13,990GVWR for that reason instead of the titled weight. 3) Local ordinance over 3/4 ton vehicle. In theory almost any PU with a capacity over 1500lb. another reason my GVWR is way down and I had the body company raise my "unladen" weight.

I will agree that you all in CA are screwing the rest of us with your emissions requirements. My new 08 SUCKS on fuel with the new required DPF's, and they are VERY expensive to replace (and you can't easily remove them!) I would look closely at if you will be forced to install one.

Also I have also heard CA has BS commercial requirements on trucks over a given GVWR. I forget what it was exactly. Also CA has some BS requirements on trailers such as 5th wheels. I believe you need a class A licence with one. I'll look and see what I read on that.

Yeah, California is full of alot of carp. My F350 pickup, our E350 cargo van, my old GM 3500 dually pickup, my old Dodge Ram D150 pickup and even my little Dodge Ram50 mini truck that I only use for running errands are all considered 'commercial' vehicles by the State and all have commercial license plates and the associated 'weight fees' added to the registration renewal every year. California automaticaly classifies any pickup or cargo van, regardless of actual weight, gross weight rating, or how it is actually used, as a commercial vehicle. They dont care if all you use it for is going to the grocery store, if it's a pickup, it's 'commercial'. About the only benefit to it is we get to park in the yellow commercial loading zones that passenger cars are not supposed to park in.... big whoopie....

I see alot of F350, 450 and 550 chassis-cabs running around without DOT numbers on them, even ones that are obvioiusly being used commercially. I don't know if they are all breaking the law, but if they are, it doesn't appear the presence of numbers on the trucks is being enforced very much.

On the diesel issue, the DPF is only required to be on the truck if it was on the truck when it was new, so that only applies to '07 or newer trucks. Any emmissions that were on the truck when new, regardless of gas or diesel, must be on the truck whenever you take it for the emmissions test, which is every 2 years for gas vehicles, unless the truck is 1974 or older, then they don't care what you do with it.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Problem is with the DPF taken off, it screws up the computer so bad, it has to go to the stealership to be fixed. I haven't seen any DPF delete kits on the market yet for the 08-09 pickups.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

DOT (Federal) numbers are only required if you cross state lines,,,, in CA anyway. Intrastate,,,, anything over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, not a pickup or RV, requires a CA number. Yes, many people get away without it, I'm just telling you the law.

IF,,,, you happen to be driving a vehicle,,,, THAT HAS A FED DOT number on it (note the emphasis),,,,, In either California or Nevada,,,,, two states I know of,,,, maybe more, but no personal experience,,,,, and you are stopped,,,, Law requires the driver to also have a current medical certificate in his possession. If it's just a CA number, on a class c truck, under 26,000 pounds gross,,,, not required. Go figure.

And DR???? you are way wrong on the new diesel emissions rules ,,,,,, Do a little research,,,,,,

edit: I say CA, referring to California,,, I also say, CA, referring to a CA number,,,,, CA number is a number, for california, to regulate trucks, and collect money,,,,, doesn't actually mean "California", it is just a C - A - Number.
    Last edited by mark8310; 02-16-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Whatcha' usin' FB?
    OE frame chunk, or press-bent filler??

Yes

Extra crossmembers?

sometimes

Reinforced inside or out?

rarely

Reinforced by "L" or "C" or nothing?

sometimes

Good Luck

I know not much information sorry. With out knowing the truck the application and the length and placement of the stretch I can't answer.

I don't like working on gm or dodge form the mid '90 as they don't always have straight and flat frame rails. GM 3500/2500 have a habit of braking just behind the cab on standard cab trucks especially when you put a plow on one end and load the back end.

On Fords fore the most part I would splice in a section of frame cut off the other end of a truck I was shorting. I would cut the frame at a 45. pull the back axle and frame back (cutting or removing all the wires lines drive lines ...) Remove all paint in the weld zone grind the weld joint to a bevel and insert the new frame and full penn weld it on the in side back grinding the
    out side and and welding it out.

That was the basic procedure, some got reinforcement plates, frames, fish plates, extra cross members. all depended on the user and what the customer was paying for.

I have not done any in several years as the liability ins is too costly.

Thanks for the info FB. I haven't PM'd you yet cause I don't have the truck yet, still deciding if I'm buying it or not. I don't want to waste your time if it ends up not happening.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBall2 View Post
    Problem is with the DPF taken off, it screws up the computer so bad, it has to go to the stealership to be fixed. I haven't seen any DPF delete kits on the market yet for the 08-09 pickups.
    I've read about ones for the 07-09 6.4's from ford. Not covinced they have all the bugs worked out. Since these mods void the waranty and Ford has had some major issues with engines built around the time mine was, I'll just wait and see. I almost wish the motor would blow so I could justify swapping a 6.0 in mine and dump the dpf.

On the diesel emmission issue, all I know is that on our 2005 E350 cargo van with 6.0L diesel, everything that was on it when it was new is on there and we are not being required to do anything different to it to keep running it legally in California.

Remember, we are talking about a 1997 diesel F450 here, not a 2007, 2008 or 2009 factory dpf equipped truck. I won't be able to afford a 2007 or newer truck untill about 2017 or later, so I'm not too worried about what happens with the newer trucks. I'll worry about that 10 years from now.

I am not planning any modifications to the emmissions on the '97, though there are many out there with all the stuff removed and straight-piped and still registered legally in California. I don't percieve any problems with the emmissions. I'm more concerned with the insurance.

On the DOT numbers issue, if the cut-off is 14,000 lbs, I won't have anything to worry about. The DMV has never asked me for the GVWR of any truck I've registered here. They always ask for the actual scale weight, or as-delivered curb weight, in order to assess the weight fee. The truck will weigh less than 14K all loaded up and if I need to make it weigh less than that, I can unload it before I hit the scale for the weight ticket to present to the DMV when I register the truck. The truck only needs to be weighed once, at the time of initial registration. The truck is currently registered in CA to my understanding and does not have DOT numbers on it.

My current truck weighs over 10K loaded, but the fee is assessed based on the 6K empty weight stated by the factory when it was new.
    Last edited by DesertRider33; 02-16-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic