Need help /Advice on Tornado Shelter - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Need help /Advice on Tornado Shelter

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    ^
    Looks like someone else believes that overkill just isn't enough.
    Thats experience talking. not skitzophrenia.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
    A connex would work fine. Isn't that what the guy in mississippi (or where ever it was) use when he kidnapped that kid a couple months ago?

Shoot, you could do a whole compound under ground with those things just using mandoor cut outs between them.

Actually know a guy who was the contractor on a multi story house made out of them.
    I plan on sinking a few in my back yard once I get a house with property. Including one as a garage for my Jeep!

Thats experience talking. not skitzophrenia.
    And I can't come to the same conclusions based on seeing what others have gone through?
    Zombies aside, looters can be brutal. The entire idea behind a shelter is to protect yourself and loved ones. I am all for specialization when it works. Like my rifle, built for one purpose, long range accuracy, not good for anything close up.
    My jeep though, has to be used for many things and I am building it to that the end. Suspension set up for rocks and rough terrain, rock armor, bumpers and winch. But it has mud tires for snow and slippery conditions, and a snorkel for deep water crossings.

Building a tornado shelter shouldn't be specific. It should be a life capsule for different scenarios. Tornado first, just like my jeep is 99% of the time driving on pavement. But SHTF and I can get where ever I need to. So should the shelter be, a place to survive if needed.

from personal experience I've never had, nor seen, mud tires do good in snow/ice. just my $0.02 on that front.

as for the rest, The OP didn't ask for a fallout shelter, He asked for a tornado shelter. Yes one could work for both. but it's not ideal for that situation. no need to go overboard.

I get being prepared, I was a boyscout, I'm at the top of several friends lists for their zombie survival group. though I highly doubt they'd ever need me on that front. I get what you're going for, but you've got to remember, not everyone is like that.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Maybe because I'm old but this looks like it is from 1920 ! I'm not that old.
    My parents had a situation with flooding, once in 100 years, WELL it happened twice in three years. What to do ? Answer: MOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Geiger counter indicates 1950's They didn't need those before the nuke came along.

Hobart Handler 210

Now that I have had opportunity to do a little on-line research during lunch break, I think you should review this site and download a copy of the document (FEMA P-320) offered.

http://www.fema.gov/library/viewRecord.do?id=1536

FEMA Publication 320 is the document that outlines government approved tornado shelters, and likely contains all the requirements you will need for it to be constructed legally where a building permit is required.

I don't want to be a nay-sayer, but if a building permit is required in your area then you may not be able to use this tank. You may want to investigate this angle before you pile money time and effort into this tank. Of course, if you are intent on installing this quietly without a permit and think you can get away with it then I say more power to ya!

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    Ask for a wrench and someone will offer you a grinder.
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

from personal experience I've never had, nor seen, mud tires do good in snow/ice. just my $0.02 on that front.
    I've had really good luck with my BFG muds aired down to
    15 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    I've had really good luck with my BFG muds aired down to
    15 psi.
    there's the catch, road driving vs off road. road driving with inflated tires on snow and ice with mud tires typically ends badly for the driver. at least up here in the nw where most people forget how to drive every time the weather changes.

Hobart Handler 210

there's the catch, road driving vs off road. road driving with inflated tires on snow and ice with mud tires typically ends badly for the driver. at least up here in the nw where most people forget how to drive every time the weather changes.
    Tell me about it. Rain here in Sacramento and everyone loses their minds!

If I need to do on road snow driving, I have no problem airing down.

Folks that a lot of advise to do some serious thinking about. Some of the folks that were killed in Alabama a couple of years ago were in their basement and sucked out of it when their entire home disappeared. One of our friends brothers had a storm/tornado shelter that he never used because he thought whats the chance of one hitting him. When the big storms came two years ago he decided to ask the couple next door with the new baby and or small children to come over and go in his shelter just to be curteous. While they were down there they heard one heck of a noise. Once the noise was gone they decided to see if their was any damage. To their suprise everything was gone. The home , the cars the trees, the grass on the ground and some of the pavement . I also went to a place near me where everything was erased. I hope I never have to use the shelter but I want to be prepared.

By the way our farm is out of an area that floods. We are on a mountain in Northeast Alabama.

As far as Zooombies. I think most of the old country boy rednecks around here can handle that.

I have had the tank over 20 years and it was washed throughly . ADEM required the group that delivered it and several tanks to me to add dry ice while they were being transported. This particular tank has no odor that I can detect but I will head the advice about the gasoline or diesel fuel residue.

Please keep up the suggestions . They are all appreciated and give room for additional thought and comment from other folks.

I did want to keep the tank in an open field near my home away from trees and in an embankment with just the end exposed with the entrance. I like the idea of extra excape routes and a small supply of items such as water and possible a toilet.

By the way my community was out of power close to 3 weeks when the tornado hit two years ago. I had a diesel generator that I ran 24/7 for power. Back in the early 60s when I was in the Scouts one of the things that was impressed on me was to BE PREPARED. I remember the soviet era when we thought they were going to bomb us from CUBA richey sweet home alabama

adding a frame to the door would not hurt anything and would give you something to build your lock off of.

Hobart Handler 210

One of my top concerns would definitely be pooping facilities. Having a tornado just outside the door could very well get one's guts percolating. Could make for some awkward moments and hazardous atmospheres.
    And what about the beer!
    POVERTY...is the Mother of Invention

Millermatic 211
    Millermatic 140
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    ArcOne 100STS inverter w/TIG
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene
    Jancy Slugger Holemaker II
    Jet 5x6 Bandsaw
    Never enough time & sleep.

As inspiration have a look at this page about 3/4 of the way down,at ground scouring.:
    http://extremeplanet.me/tag/f5-tornado-footage/
    Hobart T225
    HF 151/2 Cap mod
    HF 131/2 Cap mod
    Miller Cricket XL
    Century Portable Mig
    O/A

Bluewelders Thanks for the information. I live near Rainsville , Alabama which is discussed in the link that you sent. That tornado just missed my sisters home by a few yards. The wind was so strong that it actually pulled up powerline poles in lieu of twisting them off. I hope a lot of folks realize that this act of weather could happen to them. I hope it never does but once you have seen the damage and the unusual way dirt and boulders along with other objects are displaced , your attention will be more directed to the dangers. Richey sweet home alabama

Mondo Thank you for the FEMA link. We are not required to have permits here but I was the former president of the builders association for the county and I try to always seek and follow codes when required and I use them for resource materials on projects such as this storm shelter/ bunker/ enclosed underground bathroom/ fall out shelter, etc etc. Richey sweet home alabama

What if lighting strikes on metal or wet ground by tank think about it

jim tongae That is something that I have never thought about. That is an excellent point. I would think that the metal tank would act like a faraday cage or shield and the charge go around the tank. I just dont know about that. Folks we need some more input regarding the Lighting problem that could arise. Does any one know about this ???????? Richey

Throw down a lightning rod hooked to a ground away from the main structure to be safe..

And, aside from the actual construction, inform the fire department/rescue of your shelter! And the exact location of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Maybe because I'm old but this looks like it is from 1920 ! I'm not that old.
    My parents had a situation with flooding, once in 100 years, WELL it happened twice in three years. What to do ? Answer: MOVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Geiger counter - that was (of course) the 50's!
    Atom bomb fallout shelters weren't popular in the flapper daze of the Roarin' 20's!

Hi, during the WW2 bombing of England, I was a 4 year old, and we spent almost 3 years up and down our back garden air raid shelter most nights and days......luckily we missed the bombs, even though we were only 5 miles out from London..........nearest hit was a V1 that landed 1/4 mile away and blew all the windows out......I can still smell the smell of damp wood and clothing, and the paraffin oil lamp.......all in an area 10 feet wide by 8 feet long....two grown ups and two children.

Unlike a tornado, we had at least a 5 minute warning when the sirens went, and in the beginning that was every night and most days for months.

The worst experience of the shelter was the cold and dampness that was everywhere....condensation makes everything stink........anyone who wants to live underground has got rocks in their head.

I could not imagine why anyone would live in an area where a tornado just might occur.....and live there again when a tornado has occurred....and rebuild a house in the same area.
    Ian.

I made a door for a customer that was a proto type

I'd paint the whole outside with this stuff before burying it: http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/
    miller 330a bp TIG
    miller dynasty 200DX TIG
    millermatic 185 MIG
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 101 plasma cutter
    snap-on YA5550 plasma cutter
    hypertherm powermax 30 plasma cutter
    baileigh CS225 cold saw
    etc....

I don't think I've seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but if you're going with an underground shelter, one HUGE thing you need to think about is VENTILATION and COOLING. Put 4 or 5 people into a tank underground, and you just wait and see how fast it gets rank, stale, and unbearably hot and humid.

The bottom line is, you're going to need some kind of POWERED ventilation system...even if it's only "human powered."

One especially good book that addresses all these issues from a scientific standpoint is "Nuclear War Survival Skills" written by nuclear physicists from Oak Ridge National Laboratory (free download):

http://www.nukepills.com/docs/nuclea...val_skills.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jim tongate View Post
    What if lighting strikes on metal or wet ground by tank think about it
    Sounds to me like all the energy would go to ground!

Why would the electricity travel from something that's perfectly grounded (the ground, or the metal tank that's 100% in contact with the ground) to something that's insulated or, at best, imperfectly grounded (your body)?

I'd be more worried about sand worms or the Blair Witch.

Probably because it's coated with tar on the outside making it semi-insulated.

Run a couple ground straps securely bolted to the tank, attached to ground rods. No more worries.

But lets be honest, you really need something like this to avoid all the injuries from a tornado............
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build