angle iron roller?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

angle iron roller?

Hey guys,
    As always I enjoy all the advice and experience I find on this site. I have a prospective job that will require various size circles rolled from 2x2x1/4 angle iron. I have seen large scale rollers in fab shops but have no knowledge of smaller, affordable rollers. Can anyone offer info or advice on how I can roll angle on my minuscule budget?
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

Re: angle iron roller?

Define "smaller, affordable roller." 2x2x1/4" is not what I consider all that small for angle. Compared to skyscrapers and bridges maybe, but that's still gonna be hard to bend with stuff in most small fabrication shops.

How many times do you need to do this? There are lots of places that roll it and ship it. Last time I was researching having some stainless channel rolled the hard way, the prices were all over the place, so it pays to call as many places as you can find that do this. You might be surprised how cheaply (or maybe just how expensively!) this can be done.

A Google search for "rolled angle" turns up dozens of places that do this.

The sizes of these "various size circles" is also going to make a big difference. What is the exact range of diameters that you need?

HEY there, If I remember right the one I used was called "PROMOCO" please don't quote me on that. The machine was Italian made, it was 220 volts and on a small cabnet base. My old boss paid around, $3,000.00 for the machine & standard "rollers", which are completely adjustable for material thickness, Other rollers are availible for just about anything. I believe with standard rollers you can roll 2x2x1/4 but that was about the max for it. I've rolled 2 1/4 bronze cap the "hard" way too a 5' 0 radius, that was with a hard plastic "roller" sandwiched between steel plates. It worked very well WISH IT WAS MINE!! This sounds like what you need. Lots of things you can do with it, to justify buying one. Now this was 9 to 10 yrs ago. I will try to research this better, and let ya' know.
    Don't let that iron in your lungs, turn to lead in your @$$!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wagin View Post
    Hey guys,
    As always I enjoy all the advice and experience I find on this site. I have a prospective job that will require various size circles rolled from 2x2x1/4 angle iron. I have seen large scale rollers in fab shops but have no knowledge of smaller, affordable rollers. Can anyone offer info or advice on how I can roll angle on my minuscule budget?
    What size circles? flange in or out? What equipment do you already have available?

I have done 3/8"X2 the hard way on a large hossfeld-style to an ID of about 12", but it wasn't easy (for a custom steel ladder top... had to fit restricted space). Used a two part mandrel that assembled with a groove almost as deep as the material width that was maybe 1/32" wider than material thickness. Separate mandrel to get piece out.

To effectively roll material that size you will need a pyramid roller. Define "affordable" as most machines capable of rolling that material are not gonna be cheap. I have had one that I have been building when time allows for the past couple years, but truth be known I would have come out cheaper to have just bought one if I considered time involved. If you don't have the capabilities to roll then you would probably be better served to sub out the rolling work to a shop that can do it unless you have enough of it to pay for the machine. Good luck.
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

Craiglist has many cheap listings. I saw a buffalo pinch type bending roll for $1500 or trades. newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/1044102480.html

Hossfeld bender http://www.hossfeldbender.com/toolin...angle-iron.php or American benders www.americanbender.com. Both are manual benders. Or you could fab something manual specifically for your purpose. Managing twist is aways a challenge when bending angle.

Is fabbing you own pre curved angle an option? either cutting shapes or edge bending flat bar.

Sorry for the lack of info, just got the measurements tonight. I need a 22" diameter formed from 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron. If I win this job, based on prototype, it will require various diameters, all from angle iron. Any idea what the going rate is to have this rolled at an equipped shop?
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Hossfeld bender http://www.hossfeldbender.com/toolin...angle-iron.php or American benders www.americanbender.com. Both are manual benders. Or you could fab something manual specifically for your purpose. Managing twist is aways a challenge when bending angle.

Is fabbing you own pre curved angle an option? either cutting shapes or edge bending flat bar.
    Yes, the examples I view were fabed...flat bar rolled and then edge rolled flat attached.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

If you need rings in the 22" range look for a shop that does sheet metal or blow pipe work. You can get "pipe flange rings" from them in that size range in varying diameters for fairly cheap. Most are 1/4"x2" pre rolled to weld on the end of a blow pipe
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

Can you roll that dim. angle that tight? Might need to find that out first. Is the flange inside or outside?

Good luck

my question would be why did they fab the angle but want you to make them out of solid angle. I am sure it is cheaper to do the angle rolling than it is to roll seperate rings and weld them together. Unless the rings dont have to be welded fully to make solid angle then you could save some time.

How I would do it would be to get a 21 3/4" Outside diameter circle cut from 1/4" plate 2" wide on a burning table, roll some 2" flatbar and join the flatbar ring with an open corner joint. Weld the open corner and both sides of where the flatbar ends meet and grind flush. Clean up the weld on the open corner and you're done!

If you're looking to get it rolled to such a tight diameter, I'd find a company to roll it; I can't imagine the force that would take!

Quote Originally Posted by kburd View Post
    my question would be why did they fab the angle but want you to make them out of solid angle. I am sure it is cheaper to do the angle rolling than it is to roll seperate rings and weld them together. Unless the rings dont have to be welded fully to make solid angle then you could save some time.

the example I was given was rolled flat bar with a segmented flat cut radius stitch welded 90*. Around the circumference are perpendicular attachments, further supported by the flat radius stitched to radius and attach, centered. I think using rolled angle will be more cost efficient in material and labor while providing equal or better strength in finish product. I found a local shop that will roll the 22" diameter for $55.00 labor, or $95.00 for labor and material...material being a whole length of angle, 20', me keeping the drop.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

Sounds like a pretty good price to me.

My rolls will roll 2x2x1/4, and though I bought em years ago, current price for a commercial roll, new, to do that, is about $8500.

http://www.eaglebendingmachines.com/...ls08RAY33.html

You can do em by hand on a hossfeld- I have done plenty- but it aint easy, and you will feel like you deserve more than $55 for it, after you pull and straighten a 22" ring from 2x2 angle.

Sending it out is your best bet.

thanks guys,
    I subed out the rollling. When I picked it up, another small out fit was there picking up a hand rail this shop rolled. It was perfect. They told me they can roll a 10" I-beam into a circle. When I have more time, I have to see that.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

nowadays, people don't use the angle iron anymore. I don't understand why you need it. Why don't you use the modern irons that are more popular and suitable for everyone. They are sold everywhere. I think that it doesn't cost so much to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by que_sera_sera1102 View Post
    nowadays, people don't use the angle iron anymore. I don't understand why you need it. Why don't you use the modern irons that are more popular and suitable for everyone. They are sold everywhere. I think that it doesn't cost so much to buy one.
    Where do you live? Angle is about the most useful and plentiful structural shape available for small projects and I've run welding shops in the US and even Papua New Guinea.

What are you calling "modern irons?"