2 Bed Frames To MIG Welder Storage Shelves - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 2 Bed Frames To MIG Welder Storage Shelves

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Taking the day off tomorrow to go to the drags in Houston with 'Brink' (free tickets ) so the project will have to wait for Sunday.
    How did you like the Races??? ADRL correct?

My brother Jim Halsey was there running the Nitrous Pro Mod class.
    Last edited by notslowonN2O; 03-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Craig,

The 0.023/0.025 wire will run up to about 90 amps or so, give-or-take, in GMAW short circuit transfer mode. Which is a little on the low side amperage-wise for 'typical' bed-frame thickness.

Although I did find a parameter sheet that listed spray transfer mode for 0.023/0.025 S-6 wire and ran the amps up to 170 amps. But that was at 27V using 1-5% O2 and a WFS of 620 ipm.

Although I think Duane's settings/parameters weren't all that much higher than maxing out some 0.025 wire in short circuit mode (I estimate he was around 110-120 amps, which would be close to 'textbook' 1 amp per 0.001 inch material thickness for 1/8 inch steel ), that difference from 80-90 amps to 110-120 amps is real and noticable.

Duane, glad to hear the wife is doing better and is home.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

Interested to see how this turns out. Is that going to leave enough clearance for the door to open all the way? On my 210, the damn gull wing door opens 1/2 of the top of the welder as well! Keep us posted!
    Millermatic 210

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRise View Post
    The 0.023/0.025 wire will run up to about 90 amps or so, give-or-take, in GMAW short circuit transfer mode. Which is a little on the low side amperage-wise for 'typical' bed-frame thickness.
    And the light goes on. With my TIG, filler size defines the bead size I want and I get to pick (within reason). It hadn't occurred to me that with a wire feed, the wire has to be able to carry the amps for the material thickness. I'm still surprised that .023 won't handle 1/8" properly. I'll bet if I had a MIG, it would be right there on the door chart. A 3/32" tungsten and a pedal have a much broader range.

Although I did find a parameter sheet that listed spray transfer mode for 0.023/0.025 S-6 wire and ran the amps up to 170 amps. But that was at 27V using 1-5% O2 and a WFS of 620 ipm.
    If I had a clue, I imagine this would be a "Holy Cow" moment.

Although I think Duane's settings/parameters weren't all that much higher than maxing out some 0.025 wire in short circuit mode (I estimate he was around 110-120 amps, which would be close to 'textbook' 1 amp per 0.001 inch material thickness for 1/8 inch steel ), that difference from 80-90 amps to 110-120 amps is real and noticable.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.
    Duane, glad to hear the wife is doing better and is home.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by notslowonN2O View Post
    How did you like the Races??? ADRL correct?

My brother Jim Halsey was there running the Nitrous Pro Mod class.
    Had a great time notslowonN2O. Same as always when we go to Houston Raceway. But it was my first ADRL experience and must say they're a class act. Very impressed.

Being our fist ADRL race I'm not familiar with all the names and apologize I don't recall your brother or his ride. I'll have to check the website and I'm sure when I do I'll recognize his car.

Were you there? If not, they closed the gates around 4:30pm as the place was full! I understand that Safety-Kleen foot the entire bill for admission. Big Al (?) the announcer stated that ADRL's mission is to see that no one ever has to pay to get in to see a race. Getting in free I didn't mind so much paying $18 for two turkey legs and two Cokes!
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Pink_Snapper View Post
    Interested to see how this turns out. Is that going to leave enough clearance for the door to open all the way? On my 210, the damn gull wing door opens 1/2 of the top of the welder as well! Keep us posted!
    Should have some more to show tomorrow BPS. Had to put a dump truck back together tonight.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Duane:
    I like the way the second shelf sticks through the angled angle.
    It gives the assembly character. And probably drives Samm knutz.

Retired desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    Duane:
    I like the way the second shelf sticks through the angled angle.
    It gives the assembly character. And probably drives Samm knutz.

I did it for the aesthetics and think it looks pretty cool too. Thanks. I'll be sure to post a shot showing what I mean about the aesthetics.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

I'll be sure to post a shot showing what I mean about the aesthetics.
    Sweet , there's more?

Retired desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    Sweet , there's more?
    Sure! It's not mounted yet 'cause of that last minute dump truck trans job last night and tonight. Hope to get the mounting brackets on tomorrow night after I rebuilt the septic system air compressor (rebuild kit arrived today).

MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Had a great time notslowonN2O. Same as always when we go to Houston Raceway. But it was my first ADRL experience and must say they're a class act. Very impressed.

Being our fist ADRL race I'm not familiar with all the names and apologize I don't recall your brother or his ride. I'll have to check the website and I'm sure when I do I'll recognize his car.

Were you there? If not, they closed the gates around 4:30pm as the place was full! I understand that Safety-Kleen foot the entire bill for admission. Big Al (?) the announcer stated that ADRL's mission is to see that no one ever has to pay to get in to see a race. Getting in free I didn't mind so much paying $18 for two turkey legs and two Cokes!
    http://www.competitionplus.com/index...=9421&Itemid=6 Jim was the runner up in Pro Nitrous. Has a red 68 Camaro. Also the first Nitrous car to go in the 5's in the 1/4 mile. First to break 240 mph in the 1/4 mile. He also broke the 1/8 mile mph record at Houston, running 194 mph.

18 DOLLARS FOR TURKEY LEGS AND SODA POP!!!!
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

PRESSURIZED SEPTIC SYSTEM?????

Ohhhhh, that sounds bad................. I have visions of an explosion rainin' the contents all over a 1/4 mile wide area. A TRUE DIRTY BOMB

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    PRESSURIZED SEPTIC SYSTEM?????

Ohhhhh, that sounds bad................. I have visions of an explosion rainin' the contents all over a 1/4 mile wide area. A TRUE DIRTY BOMB
    well Dad kind of slipped when he called it a septic system (well i'm splitting hairs really, I call it a septic system too). I think the "technical" term the good ol' boys used that put it in was "waste water treatment system." It's a 3 tank system . . . . solids settle in the first tank and are pumped out by a honey wagon when necessary, the second tank is where the aeration and bacterial breakdown occur. The compressor just acts like the little kid blowing bubbles in his chocolate milk . . . oh bad images!!!! The third tank is where the treated water is chlorinated and stored until it reaches a certain level and is pumped out front to the sprinkler system.

As far as the ADRL races go I had a blast and I'm still peeling from the sun burn Watching and hearing all those cars do their burn outs and take off down the track sure can make a person power hungry! Oh yeah, and those turkey legs are worth the bill
    Mike
    Constans Fides et Integritas
    Lincoln Weldanpower 150 AC
    Airco Aircomatic MIGet CAV II w/ spoolgun
    Millermatic 30a wirefeeder

Sun burn?

There's still a sun?

We haven't seen it in so long that we were wonderin!
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

So what were we talking about? Oh yeah, MIG welder shelves.

Here's what I got done tonight after putting the "waste water treatment system" compressor back together. Need to get more blasting media for the sand blaster so I can prep the shelves and paint them and then make some shelf inserts.

Planning to mount the shelves with the upper side bolts that secure the top/right side panel, the bolt holes were drilled out and 'Nutserts' installed as the bolts will see downward force and I didn't want to rely on the threads in the thinner end panel flanges. Rear panel side flange bolt hole before...
    Name:  MIG Shelves 018.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  75.0 KB

...rear panel side flange with Nutsert installed. Top flange of rear panel and front panel side flange same as rear get Nutserts as well. Three other top bolts will be used to secure the shelves but these screw into thicker material and thus didn't require Nutserts.
    Name:  MIG Shelves 022.jpg
Size:  54.4 KB

Remember the 'Judy Handle' on the plasma cutter cart? Here's the self-propelled gearbox engagement lever that went with that handle that will be used for a gun cable loop. The 'cutoff' on the left will be used for the hanging the ground cable/clamp.
    Name:  MIG Shelves 028.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  72.1 KB

End view of the shelves temporarily secured/supported in place showing the new handle off the center shelf that doesn't obstruct the view of the controls - like the original did a little - and is longer to better serve to drape the gun over between welds. The 'fit' of the side door in the open position is also shown.
    Name:  MIG Shelves 032.jpg
Size:  81.6 KB

Right side with gun and ground cable/clamp stored. Consumables storage container and 10# spool of .035 ER70S-6 wire on the bottom shelf and 20# spool of .023 wire on the center shelf. Spoolmatic gun and cables/hose will store on top shelf. Ground cable/clamp stores ahead of the gun as the ground would be needed for use with the Spoolmatic if/when the wire feed gun is not in use.
    Name:  MIG Shelves 034.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  96.6 KB

A trip to TSC for more 1/4" thick plastic spacers and hardware and the shelf assembly can be properly secured in place to await a dry day for blasting and painting before final installation.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Ya better patent that before miller copies it.
    A butterfly without wings,
    is just an ugly bug

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic Mechanic View Post
    Ya better patent that before miller copies it.
    Well Mag Mech, they ain't pretty but the object was to be functional and serve to keep the top of the unit uncluttered and organized. I think it would be neat if Miller offered an optional 'Shelves' accessory for their welders but then that's one less fun project for an owner to do.

Got the spacers and hardware needed to fasten them to the welder this morning and I threw on some temporary shelf material to see how things would lay out. Thinnest stuff I have is 3/16 plate so I'm thinking 1/4" luan plywood to keep overall weight down.

Thinking of repainting the 'ol girl to get rid of the black top the previous owner applied to cover up some sort of mishap with the original paint hence the spacers to keep the shelf assembly from directly contacting the housing same as I did for the 180SD. Vertical supports that bolt to the right side are spaced out with the same size spacers.
    Name:  MIG Shelves 038.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  95.7 KB

Name:  MIG Shelves 036.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  29.4 KB
    Name:  MIG Shelves 037.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  102.8 KB

Thanks for looking.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Now I understand the shape!!!!

Did you clean the shop?! Where on earth did you find that much floor space w/o clutter?
    Mike
    Constans Fides et Integritas
    Lincoln Weldanpower 150 AC
    Airco Aircomatic MIGet CAV II w/ spoolgun
    Millermatic 30a wirefeeder

duaneb55

That thing looks well thought out, well made and handy!
    Now instead of clutter right on top of the welder, you can have clutter on three different levels!

Now all you need is a seat, a Briggs engine and a steering wheel and you would be all set for mobile welding!

Good job!
    Ken.
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Did you clean the shop?! Where on earth did you find that much floor space w/o clutter?
    Ha, ha, ha. Don't you have a test you should be studying for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dennis View Post
    duaneb55
    That thing looks well thought out, well made and handy!
    Now instead of clutter right on top of the welder, you can have clutter on three different levels!
    Thanks Ken. You could be right on the tri-level clutter but at least I'll have somewhere to shuffle it around to find what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dennis View Post
    Now all you need is a seat, a Briggs engine and a steering wheel and you would be all set for mobile welding!
    Good job!
    Ken.
    Do you think 500hp is overkill?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Do you think 500hp is overkill?
    Naw!
    Go for more HP and add wheelie bars!
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!