I got an sa 200!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I got an sa 200!

I finally found me a lincoln sa 200 welder! it was at a scrap yard taken apart and i got it for $100. the engine was last ran last year and is complete, the hood and doors on it were off but look almost new. The problem guy I bought it from says that it needs a new set of brushes and aside from that its just rusted up. I have no idea how to go about restoring the generator part of the welder. can somebody point me in the right direction. the face plate said its a SA-200-f-163 code-7789 A-841101.

Thanks Bigblue

Re: I got an sa 200!

Nice score! Try this website for any parts you might need.

http://www.stumpfweldingsupplies.com/200parts.html
    Local 597 Pipefitters
    Certified stick and tig pipe welder
    Lincoln Ranger 305g - for sale
    Miller 185 mig
    Miller Digital Elite

Is there any manual out there showing how to disassemble the generator and replace the brushes? I dont know where to start

I checked on billswelderrepair and I believe my welder is a 1977 model. Its got the hexagonal generator, does this mean its aluminum wound?

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
    I checked on billswelderrepair and I believe my welder is a 1977 model. Its got the hexagonal generator, does this mean its aluminum wound?
    Unless it has been re-wound with copper. Originally the welders with hexagonal generators had aluminum windings.
    They were made that way from about 1972 until 1991

Mine is a '74 with the hex gen. It welds just fine.
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Ive almost got the generator put back together, and most of the brushes seem fine. Im gonna go ahead and replace both the exciter brushes. One of the exciters didnt have the insulation on it which makes me wonder if this simple problem is why the guy I got it from took it apart in the first place Im hoping it goes together easy, and i fire it up and it welds Hopefully I can get some pics of it up soon. im no good with a camera

well bad news, ive discovered that the shunt coils in the welder need to be replaced. Its gonna cost me about $400 and I have no idea how to go about taking them apart or replacing them. Since I only have $100 in the whole thing would it be more economical to part the machine out or go ahead and rebuild the whole generator and put in new coils and brushes? If its gonna cost me $1000 or MORE, id rather just part it or sell it all together and look for a better machine.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Go here: http://www.hybriweld.com/shopdisplay...&cat=Coil+Sets

Call them, You might be able to work out something with them on the coils...They can fix yours...Goodluck....
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Go here: http://www.hybriweld.com/shopdisplay...&cat=Coil+Sets

Call them, You might be able to work out something with them on the coils...They can fix yours...Goodluck....
    how can they fix my bad coils? just curious

if you start parting the ole girl out, keep me in mind for the hood and sides. That is if there in decent/average condition.

how can they fix my bad coils? just curious
    I bought my SA 200 and didn't know much about it. Brought it home and started to weld. Lasted about a day and a half and stopped. Had power to the 110v receptacle so I took the cover off the barrel.
    A brush holder had broken and released two brushes. One stayed in place (more or less) and one jumped out, dangled by the wire and shorted against the wire connecting two shunt coils. About 1-1/2" was vaporized.
    Took the machine to a motor re-wind shop in town and they spliced a piece back in, got it running, checked it out and phoned me with the news.
    Cost me $700.xx cash. Should have just taken the welder straight to them after the purchase.

They found that the brushes were 1/16" loose in the brush holders and were able to vibrate and caused one of the holders to fail. They advised that they should be snug but able to move. They changed all the brushes and they had a used brush holder that they installed.

Depending on what they find, they might be able to fix something. Most shops will give you an estimate for free.

Mine cost $1800.xx to purchase and $700.xx to repair so take it from there.
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I dont know of any shops around my area that would do any work on an old welder. Ive only got a hundred bucks in the thing any way so I think I may just go ahead and parts the thing out. How much is a good running continetal F-163 engine worth? The machine is complete (partially disassembled) except for the end cap and belly shroud. the sheet metal on it is good. What is a parts sa 200 worth?

Big blue,

Hybrid can rewrap and fix bad coils that you send them...Give them a call before you throw in the towel....Even 700 dollars is worth the money to spend...
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Relax, he has his mind made up to make a fortune on EvilBay. We are wasting our breath.

Big blue,

Hybrid can rewrap and fix bad coils that you send them...Give them a call before you throw in the towel....Even 700 dollars is worth the money to spend...
    I thought you had to press fit them in and out with a huge press. I dont have a press and dont know of anyone with one. Is there any other way to take the thing apart? I would rather fix it than sell it but if its gonna cost me more than the price I could find a better one for than I'll just part it out.

If you're going to look for another unit with the intention of parting out this one, for $100 I'd leave it parked in case you ever need parts of your own. Just crank it up every once in awhile to keep that F-163 in running condition.

Just a thought.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Blue,

Its your welder...but I think it would be a shame not to fix it...Where there is a will, there is a way...Any machine shop can "press" them for you probably for a 20 dollar bill and both of you will be happy. But still...call hybrid weld and tell them what you need...they will have some advice to give you before you start disassembling it.

But where will you find a good welder for less than 1500 or more? Even if you spend a few bucks, at least you know those parts are new and in good condition. One you find for 1000 bucks may run a few hours and have the same problem.

A welder that has been properly gone through will not bring less than 3000 I would think.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Blue,

Its your welder...but I think it would be a shame not to fix it...Where there is a will, there is a way...Any machine shop can "press" them for you probably for a 20 dollar bill and both of you will be happy. But still...call hybrid weld and tell them what you need...they will have some advice to give you before you start disassembling it.

But where will you find a good welder for less than 1500 or more? Even if you spend a few bucks, at least you know those parts are new and in good condition. One you find for 1000 bucks may run a few hours and have the same problem.

A welder that has been properly gone through will not bring less than 3000 I would think.
    Im gonna call around and see if I cant find a machine shop nearby that can do it. Until then I guess Im gonna hold on to it. If all else fails I'll part it out, cause Im sure someone in my area is needing a good parts machine. thanks everyone for the help

If all else fails I'll part it out, cause Im sure someone in my area is needing a good parts machine. thanks everyone for the help
    note - "part it out" means you take it apart and sell individual parts. Selling it as a good parts machine isn't parting it out and you likely won't make a whole lot for it whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitesky View Post
    note - "part it out" means you take it apart and sell individual parts. Selling it as a good parts machine isn't parting it out and you likely won't make a whole lot for it whole.
    If I do sell it, I would rather sell it whole but if I do part it out I could sell the engine, sheet metal, radiator, oilbath, and other parts. I just dont want a big pile of parts sitting around for years and years. Im gonna try and replace the shunt coils myself so Im gonna try and tear the generator down as soon as the weather clears up. Does anyone know how you get the main armature out? is it just pressure fit in or does it have something holding it in? thanks

The AWS Forum has an SA 200 section and lots of helps for what you now propose to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitesky View Post
    The AWS Forum has an SA 200 section and lots of helps for what you now propose to do.
    thanks

Two years ago the shunt fields went out on my welder. I bought new coils from Hybriweld for $200-$300. After taking the the machine apart I took the generator housing to a nearby Red-D-Arc rental yard. Somewhere like that will have a press and will know how to remove and install the coils without destroying the insulation. About $100.00 later I had the new shunts installed and reassembled my machine. Several people have mentioned the AWS SA-200 board. Lots of info there. Also check out Bill's Welder Repair online. They have many wiring diagrams and other helpful things there.

I found a guy in my town who had several sa 200's sitting around his house; he was a pipeliner and had collected them here and there throughout his life, and he sold me two of them for $350! one of them is a 66 and the other a 57. Im putting my good engine on the 57 generator and building it up from the frame. Ive come to find that the 57 welder belonged to a friend of mines grandfather who welded with it up to just a few years ago until he passed away and his wife auctioned it off. Hopefully I'll have the thing put together by the end of this week and i can get some pics of it in progress. I was told that the generators on both the welders are good and they just had engine problems and the guy bought them for parts.