John Deere hydraulic brake line fix
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

John Deere hydraulic brake line fix

Using my tractor to mow and noticed my brakes was getting spongy feeling and my steering was getting jerky so I stopped and got off and didn't see nothing other than I had a leak.So I took it to the barn and took off the floor board on the brake pedal side and seen the line leading from the pressure regulator valve that supplies the brakes and the steering was leaking.
    I still haven't got a bottle of argon/co2 mix so I had to fix it with 0.030 flux core wire.First try and I had a burn thru so I had to tack weld until I got it built up enough to stop it from leaking.I thought I could just weld down the seam of the crack but with flux core wire wasn't possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Re: John Deere hydraulic brake line fix

Earlier this month I had to replace 1 of the batteries,I have to take the side panels off to gain access to remove a battery and broke 1 of the 1/4" studs that hold the top door on,no problem,just took a 1/4" bolt and cut off the head and welded it to the bracket.First pic is the new stud.
    This is the main things I weld here at home,no big projects just mainly repair.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

That looks like my tractor. Mine is a 2440 with loader. What's yours ??
    You only replaced one battery ?? You know the other is gonna die soon too. Those battery prices are rising. Everything cost more.

Glad that hydraulic line held. I would have brazed it myself.

Glad it worked.
    All of my trucks have dual batteries. I insist on replacing in pairs. Believe it or not, I convinced my dodge dealer to replace both under warranty even though only one battery failed.
    But if you don't rely on your tractor to make money or to use as daily transportation, I understand being thrifty and not replacing both. But a weak battery will weaken a strong one. It also goofs up the charging process.
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP Ready Pak
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready Pak
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    CK TIG TORCH gas diffuser and pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    A stout 15 yr old son to help!!

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    That looks like my tractor. Mine is a 2440 with loader. What's yours ??
    You only replaced one battery ?? You know the other is gonna die soon too. Those battery prices are rising. Everything cost more.
    Mine is a 2040,40 HP.If yours is a 2440 it has 60 HP.Mine is set-up for a loader,it has the heavier duty front end,bigger tires,etc., but I never financially got one for it.I just put that other battery on there 2 years,I mean 3 years ago,time fly's don't it.I put the date on them with a paint marker when I install them because finding the receipt 4 or 5 years from now will be a challengeI thought of brazing too but am out of gas and didn't want to go and do that right at the moment.Seems like everything goes bad all at the same time.Money,money and more money.Would you believe that that brake line is only $27 at the John Deere dealership but a new water pump is over $700.A new hydraulic pressure regulator for this tractor is $1200.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Anything from John Deere is expensive. Nice repair I have always brazed them but you fcaw looks like it should work just fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Hobart Stick mate LX AC/DC
    Harris O/A outfit

I rebuilt my water pump 10 years ago on the 2440. I think the parts were $100. I bought a JD water pump for my JD 750 and it was over $ 100 five years ago. You could fit it in your hand. No rebuild kit, just scrap the old one.

I'm just glad i own a Kubota after hearing all the problems you guys have with those JD's
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Suitecase 12RC
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Victor O/A
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Bought this tractor brand new in 1978,I have fixed the water pump once and welded a brake line,and that's it for repairs other than consumables say tire's and what not.They don't make them like this anymore.My neighbor has just bought 2 John Deere's here in the last few years and they look cheap.I hate to say it but they are like the other tractor's out there like the Kubota's,New Holland's,Mahindra's,Case,etc.The way they sound too,like their going to throw a rod at any moment.Mine sounds like a diesel with....... hard to explain
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I have a Benzo-matic mini torch but the gas and oxygen bottles are outrageous plus my oxygen tank is empty on my big torch so I just flux core welded it.I thought I could just weld it with my welder set on 1 for the voltage and the wire speed set on 1 or 1.5 but it burnt thru right from the get-go.Wonder if I could have brazed it with just Mapp gas?Would it get hot enough I don't know.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Just pulling your chain guys
    I have the older B7800 that they quit making
    had it for about 5 years now only maintenance and one bad battery
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Suitecase 12RC
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Victor O/A
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

My 2440 new 1979. Rebuilt water pump once and new set of tires. That's all I had to do. My 750 bought used , has the Kubota engine and had to replace water pump. Great machines and used. Looked to up grade but too many dollars.

What is it with the water pumps.I need to flush mine's radiator out and put all new anti-freeze and water in it,would you believe I've never done that to this tractor other than when the bearings went out on the water pump,that's been over 10 years ago.I need to do that because it seem's like it's running a little hotter than usual this year.You can't beat the older tractors for longevity,I don't know about the new one's made now-a-days.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Lucky you On a Cummins with the wet liners you have to continually refresh the antifreeze to prevent cavitation, which over time will eat a hole in the liners. There's liquid stuff, or slow release agents in the water filters, to do the trick. But you have to keep on top of it.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

I have a JD 4200 with a loader. I have had it about 13 years. I beat the living crap out of it daily. I have had to replace a couple of rubber hydraulic lines but nothing big. My biggest complaint has been the plastic body panels. There is not one that has not cracked or shattered. Most of them I have fabricated metal replacements for. It has been a great machine.
    A man needs to know his limitations!

Those John Deere tractors are great .But like all equipment they have common troubles.
    We have a 2240 at work , cleaned radiator ,replaced water pump,removed twin battery system with single battery and rebuilt brake valve.

Brake valve rebuild is orings for each spool valve and two check valves that are below those two plugs in second pic and a gasket for side plate.

Not bad for a 29 year old tractor. Yea it needs new tires.

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    I'm just glad i own a Kubota after hearing all the problems you guys have with those JD's
    Kubota parts ain't cheap either. I have 2, a 90 horse and a 105 horse. They just don't break often.... but when they do, it's expensive.

I have found that a drilling out and then brazing a AN-6 (whatever size that floats your boat) "union" over the tube makes a nice sexy repair.