Lincoln SA-200 Pipeliner-repair questions??
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln SA-200 Pipeliner-repair questions??

Welder runs fine but have no spark "current" to stinger. Have checked leads, cleaned with stone, exciter armatures, checked brushes (are in good condition). When grinder is plugged in, it runs at half speed. Tried moving rheostat back & forth, looked like they are making good contact. Does anyone have any other ideas to try or know what may be wrong with it?

Also, I live in the Rockford area. Would anyone know of someone who works on these welders or could test my welder for this problem??? The closest I have found so far is Stumps which is in the ST. Louis area - 6 hr drive one way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

Re: Lincoln SA-200 Pipeliner-repair questions??

I copied this off another thread. Hope it helps. If the machine hasn't welded for a while, this procedure will fix it. If it's a mechanical or electrical problem it won't.

Flashing the exciter field consists of passing current through the fields using an external source of 6 to 125 volts
    of DC power from a storage battery or DC generator. If using a DC generator, keep the generator turned off
    except when actually applying the flashing current. To flash the fields:
    1. Turn the welder off. Raise one exciter brush off the commutator.
    2. On Lincoln welders, attach the positive lead from the external DC source to the right hand brushholder.
    3. Carefully holding an insulated section of the negative lead from the DC source, touch its lug or clamp to the
    left hand brushholder for five seconds. Pull it away quickly to minimize arcing.
    Remove the lead from the right hand brushholder, replace the brush on the commutator, start the welder and the
    generator voltage should build up.
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

Hey, thanks for your help. Actually I saw that thread and did already try that. It didn't help. I am at a loss now what to try next. I am still looking for someone who either works on Lincoln welders or can at least test mine somewhere in the Rockford, Dixon, STerling-Illinois area.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Sdarby,

One word: Stumpf.
    Welders:
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Penncraft 230 (oldy but goody)
    HF Plasma 30 (Italian)
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy/Acetylene/Propane
    Lincoln SA200
    Everlast Power Tig 250 EX
    Everlast PowerUltra 205

SDARBY
    I had 1977 SA200 I came across this problem on the welder,there should be a black box bolted to the rail. It is a voltage regulator check to see if it has electrical continuity. About 10.00 buck at the local auto store. Hope this works Ken

Sounds like your exciter armature is shorted out. Mine did the same thing, and I replaced the armature and its been good since....If flashing the fields didn't work then I would get that armature tested..

it sounds like his exciter is puting out voltage, running a grinder at half speed is about what they will do at idle.
    as for the voltage regulator, it has nothing to do with the welder welding.
    if the exciter is working there are a few things that could couse it not to weld,
    if you are lucky could be a broken wire to the shunt coils, if not a bad shunt coil as they are about the hardest thing to fix on these welders.

post 3 on this tread may help you troubleshoot it
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=17794