RG45 for TIG
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: RG45 for TIG

RG45 for TIG

I really did search the forum, but did not find the answer to my question. There are several references to RG45 but I did not read every one of them.

As a TIG noob, I went into a different LWS today for some cups and told him I needed some 3/32" TIG rods for regular steel. Normally I buy ER70S from my other LWS. He sold me some RG45 3/32" and when I questioned him, he said yes those were for TIG. I came back to work, searched and everything I find is RG45 is for gas welding, not TIG. So I called him and asked but he assured me that is what his customers use for TIG.

I think I have enough of a learning curve without having problems with the filler rod. So before I go back and demostrate just how ignorant I really am, is RG45 normally used for TIG?
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    10FtDrillBit.com

Re: RG45 for TIG

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    I really did search the forum, but did not find the answer to my question. There are several references to RG45 but I did not read every one of them.

As a TIG noob, I went into a different LWS today for some cups and told him I needed some 3/32" TIG rods for regular steel. Normally I buy ER70S from my other LWS. He sold me some RG45 3/32" and when I questioned him, he said yes those were for TIG. I came back to work, searched and everything I find is RG45 is for gas welding, not TIG. So I called him and asked but he assured me that is what his customers use for TIG.

I think I have enough of a learning curve without having problems with the filler rod. So before I go back and demostrate just how ignorant I really am, is RG45 normally used for TIG?
    Nope, it is not for tig.

Was it an Airgas store that sold you the gas rod?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

No, local guy. I usually trade with Air Gas, and they are usually pretty up on things, including the price. This store is a very small chain of 2-3 stores. Their prices are better, but maybe their advice is not too good.

Thanks for your response!
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    10FtDrillBit.com

I've done some TIG weld welding projects with large diameter RG-45 as the parent metal, and it is very prone to losing ductility when even just slightly oxidized.

It would be difficult and frustrating to learn to TIG weld with this. If you welded with it like you would Titanium or Stainless steel, you can do OK. But that is not learning type stuff, and uses a lot of shielding gas. (Long post-flow, etc.) Without such techniques you get essentially one shot at making a good weld. If you don't get it done in one heat cycle, it will oxidize and become very weak / brittle.

In short, yes it's possible to TIG it, but I'd ecommend er70s-6 instead (or er70s-2) if possible. Even 309 stainless as filler rod will be much easier and give you much better results when starting off than RG-45.
    Last edited by jakeru; 06-28-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post

Was it an Airgas store that sold you the gas rod?
    I couldnt help but laugh, sounds like my local Airgas.