Snap on YA2230 plasma cutter
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Snap on YA2230 plasma cutter

Does anyone know anything about these machines? I just bought this one, it works but the tip it pretty rough.

Anyone know how thick it will cut?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Snap on YA2230 plasma cutter

It was made by Century products, uses a Hypertherm torch. You can buy consumables and probably can get an operators manual on line. I'm pretty sure it is 30 amps max, and with that torch it will likely struggle on 1/4", good for sheetmetal.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeljp86 View Post
    Does anyone know anything about these machines? I just bought this one, it works but the tip it pretty rough.

Anyone know how thick it will cut?

My memory [incorrectly] said it was 40A (most of the bigger SnapOn plasma cutters are 20/40), but my searches online tell me that this particular model is 22A output. If that's true, I don't see cutting 1/4" in your future, and 3/16" might be a struggle.

I know it cuts 3/16, I did cut some 1/4 but it was pretty

Well then I think you found its limit. I had the 40A version of that machine, and when trying to cut 1/2", you could see it gouging down around 3/8", and it just couldn't reach any further than that. When you tried to cut 3/8", it was really ugly.

Anyway, SnapOn hasn't ever sold machines for cutting battleship armor. There isn't much on a car that machine can't cut, and the few things that are, you wouldn't be cutting anyway.

Last I checked years ago, give SnapOn a call, and they can email you the manual. Just don't be crazy enough to buy consumables from them at their 1000% markup. That machine was made in Italy, and there are lots of aftermarket consumables that are quite inexpensive.

I've got the bigger version of that machine, the YA5550 that does 55 amps. I think it's the biggest one they offered and it's a big heavy ugly thing with a poorly built plastic console that's deteriorated, but it cuts ok as a cheap backup knock around machine, paid like $300 for it. if it's cheap and it works then it's not so horrible I guess

I think the model #'s snap on uses, the first 2 digits are the max cutting amperage and the last 2 numbers are the plug size? 2230 is 22 amps with a 30a 220 plug, my 5550 is 55 amps w 50a plug...

likes been said, it's made by cebora in italy and uses a hypertherm torch
    miller 330a bp TIG
    miller dynasty 200DX TIG
    millermatic 185 MIG
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 101 plasma cutter
    snap-on YA5550 plasma cutter
    hypertherm powermax 30 plasma cutter
    baileigh CS225 cold saw
    etc....

Nah. I also used to own a YA2225. That was a 25A output cutter, and it ran on 120V. It was also named the "Plasma 115" at times. So perhaps the numbers work out in your two examples, but SnapOn was not consistent in their numbering scheme.

got it, was a hunch based on these 2 machines numbers I guess...
    miller 330a bp TIG
    miller dynasty 200DX TIG
    millermatic 185 MIG
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 101 plasma cutter
    snap-on YA5550 plasma cutter
    hypertherm powermax 30 plasma cutter
    baileigh CS225 cold saw
    etc....

I also have a snap-on ya 2230. .. I need help finding aftermarket consumables. Preferably on ebay. I have no idea what to look up..

Quote Originally Posted by jeridj1 View Post
    I also have a snap-on ya 2230. .. I need help finding aftermarket consumables. Preferably on ebay. I have no idea what to look up..
    I am in same boat , Bueller ... ?

The torch used on the YA2230 was produced by Hypertherm and uses the same consumables as a Hypertherm Powermax380 system. You can order the consumables from any Hypertherm authorized dealer. Here is a copied page from the Powermax380 operators manual.

Jim Colt

Name:  Pac110 consumables.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  30.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jeridj1 View Post

Shoot me a PM with your email address if you want a copy of the manual, I have a PDF I can send to you.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

I've come across a few customers that had these machine and the torches had been retrofitted with Trafimet S-45... so be sure your consumables look like this or it may be an S-45 from Trafimet.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT