union welding Apprenticeship
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

union welding Apprenticeship

HELLO...I WORK IN FRANKFORT,KENTUCKY RIGHT NOW AS A WELDER..I ALMOST DO ALL MIG ON MOSTLY 10,16 ,& 20GA..WE ALSO DO STAINLESS,GALV,ALUMUMINUM..IT IS A GOOD JOB,BUT I THINK I AM NOT LEARNING WHAT I SHOULD BE IF I WANT TO HAVE A CAREER IN WELDING...AFTER LOTS OF THINKING I AM WILLING TO MOVE TO ANY LOCATION FOR A Apprenticeship WELDING JOB. I TAKE MY CAREER SERIOUS AND DO NOT MIND WORK AT ALL..I ALMOST CONSIDER MY COFFEE AND WORK A HOBBY NOW. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF MABY A GREAT SHIPYARD,OIL RIG, OR A SERIOUS WELDING CAREER OPORTUNITY WHERE I CAN LEARN AS MUCH AS I CAN AND HAVE A GOOD CAREER JUST LEAVE SOME INFORMATION AND I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE IT...................THANK YOU

Re: union welding Apprenticeship

If your truly serious start by calling them for an application,they're giving them out this week http://local-580.com/

I'm going to the UA's school in Atlanta,Ga for LU72, I get paid for the time I'm in school (as long as I'm working & not laid off) and, as long as my average is above 80%, my books are free. The quality of instruction is great and I can't say enough good things about it. Health benefits including dental & vision are provided as well. The scale for my Union brothers in NYC is much better however

Quote Originally Posted by regularfella View Post
    I'm going to the UA's school in Atlanta,Ga for LU72, I get paid for the time I'm in school (as long as I'm working & not laid off) and, as long as my average is above 80%, my books are free. The quality of instruction is great and I can't say enough good things about it. Health benefits including dental & vision are provided as well. The scale for my Union brothers in NYC is much better however

I'm not familiar with the UA, so this might be common knowledge, but I never knew they paid you to be in school. That's a great perk, that i was unaware of. Id this common for all of the UA or just certain locals?

Only certain contractors. The reason he does not get paid for school when he is laid off is most likely the contractor pays. I have not seen one that pays you through class. I know some that will make up for your time if you have to leave work early to make it to class, but its different everywhere. I am at 598 in Pasco Washington. If you have weld certs, if would certainly help you get further, faster. Scale in Eastern Washington is 38.63 and we get a 3.50 raise every june for the next four years. Our benefit package is second to none. State pension, national pension and supplemental pension. Go to UA.org and get more information.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BNF View Post
    I'm not familiar with the UA, so this might be common knowledge, but I never knew they paid you to be in school. That's a great perk, that i was unaware of. Id this common for all of the UA or just certain locals?
    Sorry for the late reply. He's correct, it's just certain locals. The journeymen actually pay for it. We get paid 8 hrs for an 8 hr school day. Absence from school = no pay unless you ditched school and went to work. Miss more than 2 days in a 27 wk period-you've failed and you're out of there until the next time the class is offered. Fail 2 out of the 5 periods = kicked out and have to re-apply to the school but don't hold your breath. We definitely have to hold ourselves accountable at the school.
    Last edited by regularfella; 03-30-2009 at 10:41 PM.

Here are some of the pics I'd promised of the new welding school for UA Local 72 Atlanta, Ga. Below, a row of finished booths.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by regularfella; 07-07-2009 at 10:24 PM.

A row of booths being built
    Attached Images Attached Images