Where to buy mild steel?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Where to buy mild steel?

I'm not looking for a specific location, it's just a general question. The only places I know to sell square tube and round bar as well as sheetmetal are the hardware stores (Home Depot, ACE, etc) - and the prices are ludicrous. $16 for a 12"x24" 24ga sheet!

The point is I would love to 'play' more. You know, recreate things that I could have easily bought just for the fun of it. But at the hardware store prices, I can generally buy a finished product for less than half the cost of steel+consumables.

Re: Where to buy mild steel?

Where are you located in FL I can give you specific locations for the entire state.
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
    Harry S Truman

Two sources are best for me as a hobbyist. The first is a large industrial metal supplier that is hobbyist friendly. I called them first and asked if they would sell a small order. They said, "Sure, just come on in," so I paid my money and got in line with the big trucks loaded with tons of steel and picked up my small order of a few sticks of steel tube.

http://www.imsgasteel.com/

They are the cheapest, at about 50 cents a pound right now for my small orders.

The second is a welding and fab shop that I found in the yellow pages that will sell their "drops" or even order for me. They are a bit more expensive, but still about 10 times cheaper than the hardware store or Home Depot. The sign out front that said, "No job too small," was a giveaway. (about 75 cents a pound).

http://www.cjwelding.net/

Either google or look in the yellow pages for similar places in your location and call them to see what they tell you.
    Last edited by smyrna5; 03-24-2009 at 02:23 PM.

The large metal suppliers that sell to general public are usually best. A lot of them are willing to give you a great price, especially on drop offs, if you're willing to pay cash.

Quote Originally Posted by 500HpSilverado View Post
    Where are you located in FL I can give you specific locations for the entire state.
    I'm at the North end of Palm Beach County. Within a few miles of me are:

Jupiter <-- closest
    Stuart
    Palm City
    Hobe Sound
    Tequesta
    Juno Beach
    Palm Beach Gardens
    North Palm Beach
    Lake Park
    Riviera Beach

thanks

also thanks for the tips guys. i'll have to go all low-tech and check the actual yellowpages as well

I guess I'm really lucky here. The LWS is also the local steel supply. I suppose it helps that it's in the middle of the old OK oilpatch. Lots of fabricating and repair done locally.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

Decided that for my first from-scratch project I would create a rear facing camera mount for my motorcycle. I made up some ideas on the computer and went to the local hardware store to pick up some metal pieces.

Here's the prices
    1" sq x 36" HR (16ga) - $13.99
    3/8" rnd x 36" HR - 7.99
    3/8" flat x 1-1/2" x 36" - $10.99

Sure I'll have lots left over, but I dropped nearly $40 on the stuff!