Miller vs Lincoln vs Hobart
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Miller vs Lincoln vs Hobart

I've never MIG welded before, but have wanted to learn how to weld for 20 years. Got a guy that's gonna give me some lessons.

IF buying new, which should I buy and why? I'll just be welding attachments on trailers, fabbing some light duty stuff...just piddlin'.

Millermatic 180
    Lincoln 180
    Hobart 187

Remember a quick why would be great. Guy at welding shop said to avoid Hobart as they are built to less quality than the other two. I can get the Lincoln and Miller for about $750 and the Hobart for $700. I prefer to buy a good used machine, but they are hard to find.

Thanks

Stockton,CA(The foreclosure capital of the USA)

Re: Miller vs Lincoln vs Hobart

FYI I was in the same boat a month ago. I just bought a Lincoln 180c from IOC. It was $730, free shipping and a $50 dollar gift card. I have only stick welded so this is my first mig I am pretty happy with this unit.

Miller and Hobart are owned by same company, if i remember correctly, the Miller brand is geared toward industrial applications, and Hobart is geared toward the hobbist. of course, the lower amperage machines like the ones you're looking at are supposed to be "pretty similar."

please, someone with experience with these machines should chime in, because I am looking at those SAME three machines. I'm looking to buy in a week or two. I'm currently borrowing a Lincoln 220volt machine from a good friend of a good friend but since this is the first machine i ever weld with, i can't compare it to anything.

I'll just share this tidbit: even though these machines are "lower end" they're still heavy. A cart (either buy one with the welder, or build one soon after purchase) would be most helpful.

After doing some more research, I may try to swing a Millermatic 211. That way I could weld where a 220 plug is not available.

Keep the opinions coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Firescooby View Post
    After doing some more research, I may try to swing a Millermatic 211. That way I could weld where a 220 plug is not available.

Keep the opinions coming.
    If you can swing the MM211 get it and don't look back

"-Make a sprayer rack for zero turn mower
    -mount things to open trailer
    -make gas can rack for front of enclosed trailer
    -repairs to tow aerator (welds constantly breaking)
    -misc"

could all be done by now
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

They are all fine machines
    American by birth Southern by the Grace of God

A farmer buddy of mine,(NOT Samm) just bought a Hobart 187, and he loves it.

I talked him up from a 140. Have not used it myself yet.

I have the little H135, and it's a good little machine for lighter metals.

I don't use it all that terribly much, but I've been satisfied with it. I do think though, that higher amps would better. Probably be a pretty slim duty cycle at the high end though. I don't know, so I shouldn't say
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

I'm looking at a Hobart 140. very close to buying it. I hope it is not a mistake. I'll be using it for an auto restoration. $479.00 for this unit, the closest Lincoln is the 140 at $599.90.Then the Miller at $639.00. I have to draw the line somewhere I guess.

If I don't go for the bigger unit, I'm leaning towards a Hobart 187. I'd hate to drop $1k and be a complete welding idiot or not have the need or time.

At least this way I'm only out $750-800 with helmet. Plus it should do just about everything I want to do.

How easy can you get parts and service for each? More Miller dealers around here than anything. Easy to get what I need when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firescooby View Post
    If I don't go for the bigger unit, I'm leaning towards a Hobart 187. I'd hate to drop $1k and be a complete welding idiot or not have the need or time.

At least this way I'm only out $750-800 with helmet. Plus it should do just about everything I want to do.

Get the HH87 and don't look back Go hit "Add to Cart"
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Get the HH87 and don't look back Go hit "Add to Cart"
    Thanks. Found a HH 175 on craigslist, but haven't heard anything. He's asking $400 and it says "Excellent condition almost brand new. Was going to learn how to weld and lost interest. Hobart 175 Handler wire welder 220V with gages, argon tank, wheeled cart with electrical connections, protective wear and additional spool of wire"

$400.00 is a very good price with what is listed- tanks are 150-200 bux these days-
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

$400.00 is a very good price with what is listed- tanks are 150-200 bux these days-
    Here's the picture. Looks like there are 2 helmets included also.

So definitely be worth making the drive to get it? Maybe try to get him down to $350?

Thanks for the advice. Hope to hear back from him in the morning. Get me ready...keep them coming...is this the deal for me?

You might insult him with the 350 but it is always worth a shot.

I don't see the tank in the photo but even without, not a bad price- Looks like he has an extension cord too.

Definitely worth the drive.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

You might insult him with the 350 but it is always worth a shot.

I don't see the tank in the photo but even without, not a bad price- Looks like he has an extension cord too.

Definitely worth the drive.
    Hope to hear something from him soon. If everything sounds on the up and up, I'll probably own that thing by Sunday.

Buy it for $400. It's worth it.

I have a HH175 & use it rather infrequently. I was going to get one of the 110V models but this one came available at TSC for 599.00, with cart, 20cf tank, auto darkening hood, and a roll of wire. It was a Xmas special when I bought it & I've welded up to 1/4" (multi-pass) with it. And I've welded light sheet metal too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

There have been a fair amount of control board failures (transistor) on the early production run of the HH 175. Once the potential problem was discovered, my understanding is Hobart addressed the issue by going to a more robust transistor.

Performance wise, the HH 175 is a decent unit, whereas , the HH 187 is a very good unit.

I've owned a HH 175 and currently own a HH 187. My recommendation would be to go with the HH 187.

If you are asking for opinions...I have one.

I bought a Hobart, used it once and GAVE it away. I was too embarassed to sell it. What a hunk o junk.

I am partial to Lincoln but Miller is not a bad machine. But the advice I give to people regarding blue or red is to buy what you can READILY get parts for in your neck of the woods. My LWS sells Lincoln but he has to order EVERYTHING. I can do that on the internet. What do I need him for? If I had a Miller I would be able to walk in and walk out with anything I needed.
    In all honesty I think Lincoln and Miller are so competetive that their offerings are almost identical in features and prices.

I hope that was fair and balanced!! Unlike the news.
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP Ready Pak
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready Pak
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    CK TIG TORCH gas diffuser and pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    A stout 15 yr old son to help!!

Firescooby,
    I think you will like any of the 3 for what you plan to do. I sent you a private message with more information.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    10FtDrillBit.com

Hey, Firescooby.
    I sent you a Private Message to answer your question. Let me know what you think.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    10FtDrillBit.com

One thing that is confusing about this comparison are the manufacture specs. Lincoln claims the 180C can weld 3/16" in a single pass while Miller claims their 180 can do 5/16" but both claim the same output. That is a huge difference. Are those claims accurate or is Lincoln conservative or Miller exaggerating?

Also, if you ever want to weld aluminum the Hobart will end up costing a lot more as it is not ready to use a spool gun, a separate unit must be purchased.

I own both the HH 175 and the HH 187. The HH 175 is a nice welder but the HH 187 shines far above it. Hobart really done their homework on getting this welder ready to sell. It is really easy to set up and welds awsome.

Here's my 2 cents worth . I was in a similar position about 6 months ago . I looked at all three ( MM180 , PM180C , HH187 ) . I have only owned Miller products up to this point so I was kind of partial to Miller. When the dust settled , I had the PM180C .
    Why ? Well , a lot of what Lincoln had to say about the PM180C just seemed to make sense . So , I decided to give it a try . It welds beautifully . No question about it .
    However , it is not a top end power champ . It welds 3/16 perfectly , but that's the limit for a single pass done right ( good penetration ) . Just like Lincoln advertises . I would not want to bet any money that the Miller 180 can do 5/16 right . I think that is a VERY optimistic rating . Never tried the Miller on 5/16 so who knows ?
    I was not impressed with the plastic drive setup on the Hobart . Even the dealer suggested that I pay a bit more to get a lot more machine . Whatever .
    No regrets with the Lincoln though .