BBQ Baffle and Heat Deflector
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

BBQ Baffle and Heat Deflector

These folks look like they make really nice pits...

http://gatorpit.net/backyard_pits/backyard.htm

I noticed they all seem to have heat shield deflectors / baffles in the lids.. Anybody make something similar? Can't tell if it is a small diameter pipe cut out and then welded in with a gap of air between, or used a torch and bent?

Anybody make something similiar for a heat deflector on the lid? Seems like it would really be heavy..

Re: BBQ Baffle and Heat Deflector

Those are nice. I think you are looking at them inside out. It looks like there is pipe inside, however there is a trim going around the outside. There are also two pieces of flat bar running along the inside of the lid from end to end.

Gator Pit builds some of th best pits, Rich (owner) is a master of the art. If I was closer to them and didnt have the desire tobuild it myself they are who I would call.

I'm not sure I follow your question though. The flat bar inside the lid? It's just .25" x 1" flat bar. We do it to keep the condensation that gathers at the top of the pit from rolling down the lid. The flat bar on the outside of the door is .125" x 1 flat bar used to seal the gap where the door is cut out. Many builders put the .125" strip on the inside of the pit on the top of the door because it will interfere with the hinges if your not thinking ahead.

If this doesnt help let me know and I will try to help out. I build smokers for fun sometimes, actually I have a 30" diameter 8' long one I'll be welding on all day tomorrow.
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
    Harry S Truman

My dad has two of their pits. He bought one and liked it so much he gave me his old pit he had for 20 years and bought a second gator pit. I am going to his place tonight and could get you some more pictures if you wanted. What would you like more pictures of?

Todd