Hobart a Volkswagon?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hobart a Volkswagon?

Hi guys, I just thought I'd share this and ask for opinions. I am real close to buying a Hobart Handler 140. While gathering information, I called my local welding shop and asked if they could give me a price on the Hobart, The guy said that he could get the Hobart but that he only deals in top of the line welders, Lincoln and Miller. He said the Hobart is like a Volkswagon and the other two are like Cadillacs. Not being totally familiar with these welders, I have never owned them, I do take exception to this statement. I would think once you pass a certain threshold in the quality and reputation of these units, and from my research I believe that Hobart is every bit as good as Lincoln or Miller, its is more of the application of the machine to the task at hand. Am I wrong or what?

Re: Hobart a Volkswagon?

This poll may give you an answer on what people here would choose. Hobart although good machines seem to be far from the top choice of people on here.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=27926
    My Babies:
    MillerMatic 185
    Thermal Arc 300S
    Hobart StickMate AC/DC 235/160
    Dalex Werke Spot Welder

Oh and the wife and kids are important too!

Admittedly, I voted for Miller in the poll mentioned.

However, Miller and Hobart are under the same company. They merged a few years ago with the proviso that Miller focuses on "industrial" welders and Hobart focuses on the home shop units.

With that said, the unit you are describing is as good as the Miller version because both are technically home shop units. Even better is that the Hobart is likely 10 to 20 percent less in price than the Miller.

Shop around and I'm sure you'll find a good deal, but I'm thinking you might want to graduate to the 220v Hobart 187 after a while. I'm saving up for one of those myself. The 110v welders are a bit limited.

Steve

Why anyone listens to the half-wit salesman at some local welding shops is beyond me. I have owned a Hobart 140, and currently own a Lincoln 175HD, and a Miller Thunderbolt. They are all good welders. If the Lincolns are Cadillacs and the Hobarts are Volkswagens. the Lincoln must be a rebadged Chevy like the Cadillac Cimarrons.
    Last edited by smyrna5; 04-13-2009 at 01:34 PM.
    Lincoln 175HD
    Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
    Smith AW1, Dillion (Henrob) Mark III, & Smith LittleTorch

the lincolns must be volkswagen clones then. if hobarts are volkswagens

Who says a Volkswagon is a bad thing? I would take a Rabbit turbo diesel over a Caddy any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by obewan View Post
    Who says a Volkswagon is a bad thing? I would take a Rabbit turbo diesel over a Caddy any day of the week.
    I can't disagree with you there either. I have owned a VW Beetle, a 67 split window van, a Rabbit and a diesel golf, so I may be biased lol.
    Lincoln 175HD
    Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
    Smith AW1, Dillion (Henrob) Mark III, & Smith LittleTorch

Quote Originally Posted by obewan View Post
    Amen brother I own and race VW Porsche and Audi

Gots me a 375 bhp new style beetle with 12" slicks and will be road racing it Memorial Day weekend. Yahoo!

To the OP Buy it but buy it from another store.

Easy now, easy on the vw's LOL. My 70 Beetle looks like a rollin TURD, and roll anywhere I need to go. As for Hobart, not dissatisfied at all.

Anyone that compairs a Hobart to a VW hasn't driven a late mod VW Passat.

ITW tried to buy out Hobart Brothers welding division out completely a few years back. Someone else yelled ANTI TRUST!!!!!. As a result ITW/Miller got Hobart 250A down (home shop line) & the trade name HOBART.

Thermadyne, (Thermal Arc) ended up with the industrial stuff 250A & up.

I will not knock the new Hobart units. But I don't think they are built to the same high standards they once were. You probably will get pretty much what you pay for. While I was shopping I'd have to take a look at Thermal Arc & HTP America also.

A couple years ago when I was looking at them I would have bought the Lincoln. But I have been told that Miller now edges the lincoln out just a bit in features.

When it comes to welding equipment I am pretty much colorblind. I tend to buy Quality first then the most bang for the bucks.
    IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT

Linde-VI 253,400 & 450 w/MIG35 feeders
    CNC Table with Oxweld O/A & Hypertherm 1250G3
    Lincoln Ranger GXT 250
    Hobart-MicroWire 300
    ESAB Heliarc 161
    ESAB-Mobilemaster 2 CC/CV Feeders
    & more

Moderator please delete 2nd post. I was having internet connectivity problems

Anyone that compairs a Hobart to a VW hasn't driven a late mod VW Passat.

ITW tried to buy out Hobart Brothers welding division out completely a few years back. Someone else yelled ANTI TRUST!!!!!. As a result ITW/Miller got Hobart 250A down (home shop line) & the trade name HOBART.

Thermadyne, (Thermal Arc) ended up with the industrial stuff 250A & up.

I will not knock the new Hobart units. But I don't think they are built to the same high standards they once were. You probably will get pretty much what you pay for. While I was shopping I'd have to take a look at Thermal Arc & HTP America also.

A couple years ago when I was looking at them I would have bought the Lincoln. But I have been told that Miller now edges the lincoln out just a bit in features.

When it comes to welding equipment I am pretty much colorblind. I tend to buy Quality first then the most bang for the bucks.
    Last edited by millman52; 06-26-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Lincoln Ranger GXT 250
    Hobart-MicroWire 300
    ESAB Heliarc 161
    & more

The weapon doesent make the soldier

The wrench doesent make the mechanic

The car doesent make the racer

Same should apply to welders....

While I normally swear by Miller first and Lincoln a close second, I have used Millers proffesionaly and I have bought a Lincoln 110V out of my own pocket. Iam not going to lie, I bought that little 110v on craigslist for $500 with bottle and gas hoses which was steal considering the unit was damn near new.

Now if that same Unit was a Hobart I would of happly bought itbecuase of the price and condition. If it was a "store brand" I may have raised a brow but I would have given it the benifit of the doubt and tested it out....I would'nt pay $500 for somthing used that has Norther tool & equip plastered on the side however, thats just on the basis I have never seen anyone using them and I have no idea of the life span or quality of such a product.

Hobarts from what I see are good entry level welders in a wide array of power, process, and mobility demands. Buy your Hobart Chris and I would suggest looking into some of the actual 220v untis becuasue that 110 can only take you so far and like tattoos you are going to want more.

Definanlty check out Craigslist on a used buy first, alot of dudes on here have used equipment. Iam one of em
    FLASH ME.... I'm a welder

I agree Troy, In my previous post, I didn't intend to be biased against a Welding Supply sourced Hobart. If the price & features are what I wanted. I definitely wouldn't be ashamed to own one. Espically a lightly used second hand one.

I would want to stick to a name brand

Most all my welding equipment has been purchased used also.

As I said I am colorblind when it comes to a good piece of equipment. I own & am very happy with each one for it's intended use. Hobart, Linde, Lincoln, L-Tec, ESAB, Hypertherm. I have owned Miller & will most likely own Miller again when the right price on the right piece, Or a trade opportunity arises.

Most of the time my welding machines get pushed to near their limit. Duty cycle is one of the first things I always check. Most instances with proper planning on your project you can stay within lower duty cycles, especially with stick machines. MIG machines are easier to exceed the rated duty cycle simply because there just isn't as much starting/stopping once your project is tacked up & the continual welding begins.

Lincoln Ranger GXT 250
    Hobart-MicroWire 300
    ESAB Heliarc 161
    & more

HA HA HA! So Miller and Lincoln spend a good portion of their warrantied life in a shop then the rest in a steady state of decline because the black guy who bought it cant afford to fix it every week?

And I guess the Hobart starts rusting on the showrom floor, but runs non stop for 40 + years?

Talking about more than 40 years Hobart welders still running so very good. The grey works for me every day and never say no The golden recently restored works too both after 50 years. Sorry about the Cadillacs because I guess on desert shut down easily without water and Wolswagen runs without water miles and miles... http://www.youtube.com/metalworker85
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by ls six View Post
    HA HA HA! So Miller and Lincoln spend a good portion of their warrantied life in a shop then the rest in a steady state of decline because the black guy who bought it cant afford to fix it every week?

And I guess the Hobart starts rusting on the showrom floor, but runs non stop for 40 + years?
    And what does race have to do with this topic?
    FLASH ME.... I'm a welder

I have a Hobart welder, and I have had no trouble what so ever. The funny part to this, is that it fixes my old Volkswagen bus's. Bahahahahha!!!

I have had my Hobart for about 2 years now, and have absolutly no trouble! We have even welded 1/4" steel plate with DOM 120 wall tubes for the roll cage in my rabbit. I love this thing!
    I'm kinda a noob because I dont know all that this machine can do, but for auto body and light fabrication its been a great machine.
    I haven't really used a lot of differant machines but from my limited experiance I think its a great welder.

And yes, my Volkswagen may rust.......... but it still runs.....with out water. Hahahhahaa.

If it's a VW I'll be pretty happy. My VW turbo-diesel keeps chugging along with few issues after 9 years of ownership. Runs like new.

I started out with a Lincoln buz box, then a century 110v mig unit I over worked it till it melted down, bought a Lincoln 110v mig and been happy with it. Bought the Hobart 210 had a brain cramp and left it outside in a snow storm. I will buy what I like weather it be blue, red, or grey.... I really like the 210 it does what I want and always comes back for more..... Oh BTW I have owned over 50 aircooled VW beetles..... Had 40 in our barn on racks at one time.... A good car dosn't need water!

I used Miller 250s when fabbing fixtures at work. I had my own Miller 140 and sold it like a dummy a couple years ago. My new Hobart 140 is almost identical. Even has a Miller gun.

Maybe that's why I like my HH140 so much, the main reason why I bought it was because of a number of small-moderate welding projects I have to do on my two VW-based dune buggies!

--Kevin
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lousy chop saw
    Big fire extinguisher

"If I could keep my workbench from catching on fire I'd be un-stoppable!"

Century Quick Fix wire welder, Century Infanite Disc Stick welder, Lincoln Pro-Mig 175, Oxy Acetaline torches.

My little Hobart has been very good to me. A nice machine

All of the machines in this class, whether made by Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart, are pretty good machines. The only limitations are the guy holding the gun

I'm sort of a really big limiting factor

Quit worrying about the machine, hone your skills
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

Never owned a Hobart 140 or a Volkswagon butI barrow both a few times in my life.Nothing fancy but they worked. Throw away that pos little ground clamp(if they still use it) and get real one though.
    Tough as nails and damn near as smart

The new Hobarts (250A and down) are made by Miller as "homeowner machines."
    They perform just as well, but a few of the internals aren't as durable as the Miller counterpart.
    If you're buying a 250 in a few months, I'd just save up and not bother with the Handler.
    CWI, CWE, CST for Miller, Lincoln, Thermadyne, Hypertherm & ESAB
    Millermatic 350P
    Lincoln Invertec 205 AC/DC
    Victor combo torch
    ESAB PCM 1125