miller bobcat 250 or lincoln ranger 250
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

miller bobcat 250 or lincoln ranger 250

well I graduate from MTI welding school in 9 months with a job and I want to get myself a gift .
    I was a pipeline helper for a few years and I seen a lot of sa200 welders I love them but there way to heavy for my truck .
    I have a 90 F150 with overload springs from the factory I also installed air bags and shocks on the back to keep her level.
    im looking at the bobcat 250 or ranger 250 because they have AC/DC welding and there light weight .
    between the two there maybe a few hundred dollar difference I was going to get one for the bed of my 1/2ton with a job box and a torch set as well .
    once I can afford ill get a 1 ton truck but mine is paid for so ill make it work I don't want to go in to debt right off the bat .
    pros n cons of miller and Lincoln for what I need ?

Re: miller bobcat 250 or lincoln ranger 250

I don't know much about engine drive welders but from what I've been reading the Ranger has a much better welding arc than the Bobcat.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

Here's a u tube video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4Wp-wDuFo[/ame]

that's what people have told me also I want to test both out some time and see how the arc is I was trained on millers but dad has always had Lincoln's he was a pipeliner in the 70's .
    to me im not partial red or blue what ever one works better for the job

also ill be doing mobile welding on farm equipment and other repair jobs . ive also had people tell me that some pipeline jobs require a diesel truck and welder is that true and why is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Here's a u tube video.

DANG the miller looks better built that's for sure

Miller's front engine design could be a pain to work on. The video was unfair as they were comparing a bobcat 250 to the base model ranger 225. The ranger 250 weighs about 75 pounds more than the 225 or the bobcat 250.

If it where my choice it would be between the TB325 and the ranger305 much more comparble, and they will without a doubt weld pipe if you choose to go that rout.

I really like the 305 and 325 but they only run DC can you get it to run AC as well ?

No but i have a TB302 for about half year now i have 300hrs on it and i have yet to use the AC output on it. I also could be wrong on this but i don't think the 250 ranger uses Chopper technology so it wont weld as nice as the Ranger305 or TB325. Diesel is safer and more available on some sites that's why the prefer you to have a diesel welder and truck.
    Last edited by weldr11; 07-14-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weldr11 View Post
    No but i have a TB302 for about half year now i have 300hrs on it and i have yet to use the AC output on it. I also could be wrong on this but i don't think the 250 ranger uses Chopper technology so it wont weld as nice as the Ranger305 or TB325. Diesel is safer and more available on some sites that's why the prefer you to have a diesel welder and truck.
    ok thanks for the input man this is going to be a hard choice

Quote Originally Posted by deafman View Post
    Miller's front engine design could be a pain to work on. The video was unfair as they were comparing a bobcat 250 to the base model ranger 225. The ranger 250 weighs about 75 pounds more than the 225 or the bobcat 250.
    Go back and look at it again, both units are 225 models. Also both of them have the engine on the opposite end from the control panel. Judging just from what is presented in this video, it looks like the Bobcat is the better choice. Whether it is or not can be debated further on here.

A couple other things to consider are:

Do you plan to TIG aluminum? (need AC weld output, remote amp control a plus)
    Do you plan to use a spool gun? (weld output contactor a big plus)
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post

Do you plan to TIG aluminum? (need AC weld output, remote amp control a plus)
    I was blue to the core Duane till I was looking to personally buy a engine drive for myself. Minus the a/c power my Lincoln 305G will weld circles around any Miller engine drive in its class. I used to borrow a 302 airpak from a friend, and at work we have a whole pile of miller drives. It hurt me guys trust me, I own 6 miller machines personally and deep down inside I knew where my money was better spent. Positive sides to either direction you choose, we're all individuals tho. My toss up was between the Ranger and the trailblazer tho. Just my opinion tho so take it for what you paid for it
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by tylersloan View Post
    well I graduate from MTI welding school in 9 months with a job and I want to get myself a gift .
    I was a pipeline helper for a few years and I seen a lot of sa200 welders I love them but there way to heavy for my truck .
    I have a 90 F150 with overload springs from the factory I also installed air bags and shocks on the back to keep her level.
    im looking at the bobcat 250 or ranger 250 because they have AC/DC welding and there light weight .
    between the two there maybe a few hundred dollar difference I was going to get one for the bed of my 1/2ton with a job box and a torch set as well .
    once I can afford ill get a 1 ton truck but mine is paid for so ill make it work I don't want to go in to debt right off the bat .
    pros n cons of miller and Lincoln for what I need ?
    see which one sells the cheaper feeder like the ln 25 or the activ 8 or millers suitcase feeders then see who sells parts local to you like for me i walk into any welding store i could buy damn near everything miller the only lincoln thing is rods and wire sometimes so welding helmets or gloves this is just another factor

Correct me if i'm wrong but you need a WC-24 cable to connect a spoolgun?

Quote Originally Posted by weldermike View Post
    I was blue to the core Duane till I was looking to personally buy a engine drive for myself. Minus the a/c power my Lincoln 305G will weld circles around any Miller engine drive in its class.
    Even around the new 325????????

Even around the new 325????????
    I couldn't justify the price difference. My LWS knows me very well and couldn't believe I was going red on this one and gave me a deal on the Lincoln that was pretty phenominal on top of everything. I don't think he made any money on that deal. I even asked him if it came in stainless so I didn't have to drive around with a red machine in my truck with a bag over my head I'm very pleased with my purchase tho awesome machine!
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

You gotta try them both. Get the one that runs the way you want. I don't think you will go wrong with either. If you get the RED one, just buy a MILLER BLUE cover for it.

Correct me if i'm wrong but you need a WC-24 cable to connect a spoolgun?
    Depends on which machine and which spoolgun.

Bobcat - WC-115 w/ contactor for Spoolmatic 30A
    Trailblazer - WC-24 for Spoolmatic 30A - no remote contactor required
    Ranger - machine literature says Magnum 100SG but neither machine or gun manuals actually have hook-up information and I don't know that much about the Lincoln machine/spoolgun combinations.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

I have a Trailblazer 302 and i have a 30A gun but it has a 10 pin plug the welder has a 14 pin is there any way to configer it so it works Duane55????? A welder tech in Edmonton makes harnesses for Lincolns so that you are able to use a 30Amiller gun.

Must be talking about Jeff (cruizer)?

Trailblazer/SM-30A uses the WC-24 to convert 24VAC from the TB 14-pin to 30VDC+ required by the spoolgun and controls voltage to the gun motor based on the position of the guns WFS setting.

The Lincoln 14-pin has a nominal 42V (40-46V) output. I could guess about what Jeff does in his harnesses but haven't looked into it.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Must be talking about Jeff (cruizer)?.
    Yup that's him,

But my 30a gun has a 10 pin plug will i be able to hook it up to a WC-24 cable?

As I said - not sure how Jeff is setting up his harness to hook up the 30A to a Lincoln.

The WC-24 has a 14-pin input that plugs into the Miller 14-pin (which is different than the Lincoln 14-pin) and a 10-pin receptacle for the gun harness 10-pin to plug into.

A number of Miller machines have a 10-pin receptacle and the necessary control circuitry within the machine for WFS drive motor control to allow direct connection of the 30A to the machine without the need for the WC-24.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

You must be talkin new machine and that would be the ranger 250gxt that has ac out put the older ranger 250 has no ac out put but does have the chopper techknowledgy and a downhill pipe mode.....
    Ranger 250 thick stuff
    Hobart Handler 140 not thick stuff
    the pane and oxy setup

think cruizers cables will allow you to run a miller 30a gun on a Lincoln designed to run the Lincoln/Prince gun. Your trailblazer wasn't designed to directly run a spoolgun. Doesn't have run in control for the spoolgun. I would think you would have a lot of hard, messy starts.