water heater tank for bbq smoker?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

water heater tank for bbq smoker?

i found a 100 gallon water heater for free..... was thinking about using the tank inside to build a smoker. has anyone ever built one out of a water heater tank? would the size of this tank be suitable?

Re: water heater tank for bbq smoker?

i never have, but i know many people who have built em out of anything from water heaters to kegs

im building one form a water tank that is a 30 gallon. its going to be a bbq/smoker. Let me know how yours comes along. Im starting on mine tomorrow cuz im on springbreak. One thing ive been told is to add a stack or chimney for ventilation.

i dont have all the supplies yet, so i wont be starting for a week or two, hopefully all the beer cans i recycle after my springbreak will help with funding

crickertj... did your tank have any kinf of lining in it?

it had a rubber lining in it.

The "glass" lined tanks I've cut are kind of like the enamel you see on a large steel canning pot. It can be cut from the O.D. with OxyAcetylene, not a problem, but the glass coating inside makes a rough cut, maybe plasma would do a bit better. Don't let that glass coating pop into your eyeball!

Thanks Pulser good tip. I was lucky and it only had a rubber bladder in it.

Hmmm. . . I've got an old water heater that needs replacing. Maybe it won't go into the trash
    Those that say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" just don't understand!

Fast-Cheap-Reliable: Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinger View Post
    Hmmm. . . I've got an old water heater that needs replacing. Maybe it won't go into the trash
    Careful. Most now days are lined with glass. You would be miles ahead if you contacted your local propane dealer to inquire about his scrapped tanks. Most of the time, they give them to you. The 20# tank is perfect for a grill. Just fill completely with water before you put the torch to it.

Propane tank would be cool if it was a big one. i thought about a 55 gallon barrel but theyre thin. IDK.

55-gal drum BBQ's are easy - just cut it lengthwise, and add a grille and legs. I'f you hinge the top, you can make it a smoker, too. I got several friends who have done this, and it works fine. Alternately, you can get one of the smaller oil drums (what are those, 25 or 30-gal?), and do the same thing. Or just cut about a foot off the top and botttom, and make a couple of hibachis .....
    Last edited by SpyGuy; 04-14-2009 at 01:21 AM.