Military Welding Jobs
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Military Welding Jobs

People looking for welding jobs should try the Military. The Air Force alone has a 75 day tech school that teaches you how to use every type of machine....and you don't pay a dime. Free PRACTICE!! ....if you are worried about commitment, try the reserve branches...let alone you get to weld on tactical air craft...

Re: Military Welding Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Beggining2Weld View Post
    People looking for welding jobs should try the Military. The Air Force alone has a 75 day tech school that teaches you how to use every type of machine....and you don't pay a dime. Free PRACTICE!! ....if you are worried about commitment, try the reserve branches...let alone you get to weld on tactical air craft...
    I don't know about the welding on tactical aircraft part. The Air Force sends their folks to the U.S. Army Ordinance Center & School at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD for training. I know, I was a Senior Instructor there. We also had AF personnel assigned with us as instructors. The Air Force USED to have an Air Frame Welding School at Chanutte AFB in Illinois. Don't know if it still exists or not.

At Aberdeen we trained Army, Air Force, Marines, and foreign students. The Navy has their own welding school.

The Army's welding school is modeled after the Hobart School of welding.

I doubt there would be ANY welding on any airplane parts in the military.

Once the aircraft is sold to the military they just replace parts.
    If they did have a welding job it would be given to a civilian shop or aircraft shop.

I was a jet engine mechanic on F-106 Delta Darts andC-130's
    I also had a job welding aircraft parts for a while. Tubular engine mounts and small parts.
    I am a certified welder and certified welding inspector but that had little to do with the TIG welding on aircraft parts. The FAA and the AWS are just beginning to work together.

Many of the new fighter planes are made out of plastic.The wings and many of the small hatches and landing gear doors etc.,.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Honestly, I wasn't exactly sure about the whole welding directly on the Aircraft. I got the info from a friend of mine who is an Aircraft Structural Apprentice. I figured when I signed up for that job I would ask him what he thinks about metals tech. That is just what he told me.

Personally welding is a hobby, so I figured it would be nice to get some experience while getting paid.

He said they do a lot of work with Metal Billets, torches, and almost every type of welding machine. Is this true?

I'm going to be honest, I don't know for sure. I do know I'm taking the prior service route in May to APG. I can't wait.

I'm glad you guys cleared it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    I doubt there would be ANY welding on any airplane parts in the military.

Once the aircraft is sold to the military they just replace parts.
    If they did have a welding job it would be given to a civilian shop or aircraft shop.

I was a jet engine mechanic on F-106 Delta Darts andC-130's
    I also had a job welding aircraft parts for a while. Tubular engine mounts and small parts.
    I am a certified welder and certified welding inspector but that had little to do with the TIG welding on aircraft parts. The FAA and the AWS are just beginning to work together.

Many of the new fighter planes are made out of plastic.The wings and many of the small hatches and landing gear doors etc.,.
    It might depend on whether there is a war going. I work for GE Aircraft Engines, and one of our best weldors was an aircraft weldor in Thailand during the Viet Nam war. He welded mostly on engine parts during rebuilds. It might have had something to do with logistics and supply lines and all that garbage. He got so good at it that he was offered a civillian civil service job to manage a welding NDT facility at a US Airbase. I know there are gov't jobs at overhaul facilities, and here in Jacksonville, they do flame spray work in turbine parts. Some of the people are civillian civil servants, some are private contractors, and some are military. It depends on the parts and the job.

you can always try the navy. been welding and fabricating for 13 years now on everything from structural repair to small tig jobs on gas turbine motors. after a while you will become very creative since you are required to perform miracles with little or nothing to keep things moving so then you will then develop social skills from dealing with momas boys on why they got to get off there butts to work to makin deals with the next command over to get supplys so you can make things happen. yes it is an adventure and we see places. so if you think that you can ignor all the bs and want to learn some cool life skills as a Hull Tech, come over and do what i do. im not a recruiter but i will let you know the real low down about the rate if you are interested.
    Some Miller Stuff and other things. like the power of the Blue Machine

You can also try CH2M HILL. They have a military network and welding is one of their core competencies. Over one-third of their projects are awarded by the U.S. Government and they have thousands of former (and current) military personnel on staff.

as a contracter welder I have gone to places that had stuff from the military there and thats what we did to catch the company up then when they did we were gone like the wind and off to the next job which a few times ended up being what I was just doing???????same part differant company????? weird huh???
    If it's too . get an office job

Lincoln wp225g7
    Lincoln 250 idealarc
    Frankenstein O/A set-up
    Weld-tech tig set-up
    Lincoln sp 175 plus
    profax arc gouger

I am currently a Metals Tech for the Air Force, I have been doing it for two years, I was a Non Destructive Inspector before that. The Air Force Tech School is located at Aberdeen Proving Grounds (rumor has it that they will be moving it.) The course is taught by all AF instructors. One half of the course is welding the other half is machining. Yes, you do get to weld on aircraft parts. Anything from braces to turbine cases. Most of the welding is on ground equipment though. I can't tell you how many maintenance stands I have welded on. Most of the job is machining, at least in our shop it is. Our planes are nearly 40 years old and a lot of the parts aren't exactly stocked.......anywhere. The weld certs you perform are tig welding on 1" tube 6G, 0.050" wall thickness 4130 steel, 347 ss, 6061-T6 al, 718 Inconel, titanium, ans some shops do cobalt and inconel. If anyone wants to know anything else just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by paweldor View Post
    I don't know about the welding on tactical aircraft part. The Air Force sends their folks to the U.S. Army Ordinance Center & School at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD for training. I know, I was a Senior Instructor there. We also had AF personnel assigned with us as instructors. The Air Force USED to have an Air Frame Welding School at Chanutte AFB in Illinois. Don't know if it still exists or not.

At Aberdeen we trained Army, Air Force, Marines, and foreign students. The Navy has their own welding school.

The Army's welding school is modeled after the Hobart School of welding.

Yup, good stuff there. I enlisted into the Army as a reservist and went to this school. Iam now a guardsman with my state. I would suggest this route to anyone to learn how to weld , the benifits the military gives you for a couple years of service is outstanding. The school is great and the instructors both civilian and military know thier stuff. But like anywhere you can only get good with practice, any school can only teach you the fundamentals.

"the benifits the military gives you for a couple years of service is outstanding."

The benefits they give you for a career are more than outstanding, but even for a single enlistment you now get a full four year college ride and roughly a grand a month stipend. That doesn't include full tuition assistance while you are active duty.

Housing allowance helped buy me two houses over the years, with the G.I. Bill guaranteeing the loan on one of them. Full medical care for self and family is nice too.

Being completely insulated from national economic swings is awesome.

I didn't work Structural (I was Avionics, Engines, and Crew Chief over the years) but can verify that in the Air Force they lead very nice lives. Aircraft maintenance related jobs are fun if you're a gearhead. Anyone mechanically, electrically, or similarly inclined that wants a satisfying career without the horrible worker environment and total worker expendability of the civilian world should consider the Air Force. If you're already in, stay as long as possible for the retirement pay bumps.

Even if the benefits weren't superb, the friends you'll make and the things you'll do are well worth it.

I went today and talked to recruiter I thin I am ready for a change.

Best of Luck welderman1 I was in the Air Force 26 1/2 yrs and loved it.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Welderman1, shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the AF or the military in particular. I was in the Army for five years and am now working on my sixth in the Air Force.

I've got my own bias here. I'm ex NAVY,so that's where I'd go. If you get into the dive fairer program, then you'd be able to become an underwater welder.I worked on F/A18's as an aircraft electrician,and in corrosion alongside the airframers. F/A18's are mostly carbon composit,and aluminum. There's a little welding here and there,that I saw,but not nearly as much as if you welded on ships.

Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    Thank you They said I was too old,so did the coast guard.

Quote Originally Posted by JayT View Post
    Welderman1, shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the AF or the military in particular. I was in the Army for five years and am now working on my sixth in the Air Force.
    I an 35 and a tired of my benifits being stripped away. I know I should be mire greatful that I even have a job but I am at my wits end. My wife is totally behind my decision, I just hope they offer enough money for me to live on.I take the entrance tests at thee beginning of October.
    Quote Originally Posted by all10fingers View Post
    I've got my own bias here. I'm ex NAVY,so that's where I'd go. If you get into the dive fairer program, then you'd be able to become an underwater welder.I worked on F/A18's as an aircraft electrician,and in corrosion alongside the airframers. F/A18's are mostly carbon composit,and aluminum. There's a little welding here and there,that I saw,but not nearly as much as if you welded on ships.
    I have nothing agaist the navy but I don't wnt to be stuck on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

"I just hope they offer enough money for me to live on."

The combination of family benefits, pay, and allowances will do the job provided you use common sense managing things. They have financial workshops and lots of available training and information.

The system is geared to help the airman, and a common problem is that airmen don't bother to learn about all the good things that are available until AFTER the excrement hits the fan. Older enlistees don't tend to have near as many difficulties since they aren't just out of puberty....

Just ask other troops and in particular your First Sergeant, who is there to help. (First Shirts are delighted when someone actually wants to prevent problems instead of react to them!)

The way I would describe it to a civilian is that the military is carefully structured to be ready to fight and part of that is taking care of its people. The "people" have an easily understandable structure they can learn about and navigate so as to have a rewarding career and take care of their families (most of the career force is married). The military needs people who are in for the long term because it needs experience. To retain them it must treat them well enough to compensate for the demands of military life. Had I to do it again, I'd do it without hesitation.

Just got hired CH2M Hill myself. Lets see if you pipe weld they pay for plane flight and hotel for your testing up in anchorage. the 6 welding test you have a choice of Houston,Denver or Seattle you need two days bring helmet and gloves. you have to pay your own hotel to weld test you'll take a drug test also. then flight up you stay for about 4 to 7 days in motel 6 you have to pay for your own food. 15 bucks mexican restaurant and lots of others nearby. 35 up to 38 bucks an hour no per diem. 80 hours a week. 6 weeks on 2 off. two men to room they try to have day person with night person. you don't always get days. it's a 24hour dining room and work place. another drug test up in anchorage. if you need more info as I get it I'll be happy to help...first thing. get a very simple but to the point resume all hangs on the resume. the office personnel goes by the resume maryanne72856@gmail.com for more info... M Butler

Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    VACANCY @ OFFSHORE OIL TRUCKING JOBS !!! APPLY

Fortiesoil Fields (UK) is proud to support U.S./ NATO military personnel in various contingency environments such as in UK Northsea oil region, Gulf regions,Dubai,Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Japan,Germany.

A challenging world calls for adventurous workers. If you are looking for a job that requires courage, determination,quick and clear thinking.Fortiesoil Fields (UK) has a place for you.This is part of BP-Fortiesoil fields oversea employment programm to combat the growing unemployment problems in the USA with excellent pay, paid vacation benefits and free housing units for married and single workers.

Fortiesoil Fields services is currently recruiting at the (UK) Northsea region with list of support roles such as Heavy Trucking drivers,Crane operators, Welders, HSE officers, logistics support, security jobs, firefighting opportunities, Electricians, food services support, maintenance jobs, and power generation. We provide the Army with the logistical supports.Project plan is 2010-2015.

All safety and personal protection equipment is supplied by Forties oilfield Services (UK) and Full benefit package- life, health, prescription card, dental and optical insurance, Paid Vacations are available.

For your applications and more details send in your updated resume/CV via email: hr.wulloilfields@live.com

I would like to learn more about this job opportunity,and how can i join.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beggining2Weld View Post

I would like to learn more about this job opportunity,and how can i join.
    See a recruiter.

i signed up in the army to be a welder.... in boot camp, i fired a rifle real well, and could run fast.... once stationed to permanent party, i welded for a few weeks, and fired a rifle real well again, and still ran fast. commander gave me the rec's to go on to sniper school (back to Aberdeen) then to rucker, al for assault n jump.... i spent 4 years as a trained killer, reclassed 2 years before i got out to get mos q'd back to being a welder...

i do not regret any one second, i didnt agree with some of the things that i did, but would do it all again
    nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

www.sicfabrications.com

I was a CAV Scout in the Army, now I am a welder for a Air Force contractor. I never welded in the Army, but I am sure I would not have the job I have now, if I was not a Veteran.