Welding table design
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welding table design

Hello everyone!

I am new on this forum and I am about to start working on my welding table. Before I go and buy material I would love to hear your opinions about design. (...sorry for poor English, I am from Slovenia)

Frame is from 50x50x5mm RHS and 1250x1600x6mm top plate.

Vertical connections for legs is 30x30x3 angle.

For leveling the table it has M16 bolts on each leg.

Dimensions of table:

Any comments appreciated! Maximum load on table will be around 150kg. Will that frame be sufficient? Would it be stable!

Have a nice day and thank you!

Re: Welding table design

The frame shoulb be sturdy and stable but for the top piece of plate i would recommend a 10 mm thickness.
    Lincoln 225 AC
    Lincoln Mig Pak 15
    Lincoln Mig Pak 10
    Purox Oxy-Acet Outfit
    20 Ton Press
    Honda Generator

SIR,
    you might consider putting wheels under it. will
    it need to be moved? it would be easy with wheels.
    good luck with your project.
    wlbrown

The bolts are not a bad idea for leveling but I would weld a pad to the bottom of them to rest on. it will spread the load out so to speak especially if doing heavy work, and keeping the bolt heads from busting the concrete.
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

Good design, should be adequate for mild fabrication. I'd add expanded steel on the lower level as a shelf, catch-all for tools,etc. If your going to be using the top for jigs and plan on substantial heat for bends etc., I'd definately go with a heavier top. Pads on the bottom of the bolts, as Hammack_Welding suggested is an excellent addition, too, distributing the weight better.
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

even if you go for a heavier top i'd bolt it down with countersunk machine screws so you can shim it or straighten it if required anytime.
    also when you weld the top on it tends to cup the sheet

i also like big castors,fixed at one end and swivels at the other.
    G

I made an aquarium stand with bolts on each leg to level it and it works very well. I got the largest washer I could get that wouldn't fit over the head of the bolt and then welded it on so the weld was on the underside. It's holding 95 gallons plus, stand, aquariums, etc with no problems.
    HH 187
    Miller Bluestar1E

Thank you all for replies!

I would love to put 10mm thick plate but it is too expensive for me and I will use it for hobby, nothing serious!

I prefer bolts rather then wheels because my floor is wooden and cca 60 years old (my grandfathers workshop). I can't even move my welder on wheels on that wavy floor
    And it is good idea to weld larger plate on bolts to distribute weight on larger surface! Thank you for a tip Hammack_Welding! And wood is realy old!

And yes I am planing to put shelve under table!

Thank you again!

You scare me with the wooden floor in your shop!!! I hope you have a good water supply for fire department when they come to put out the fire in your shop from the little red hot bead that dropped in a crack and smoldered half the night before it started to flair up and burn. Put your table on large wheels and roll it OUTSIDE before you weld anything.

just my 2 cents

Don't worry scotts_enterprises, Neither am I comfortable about thinking my whole house burning to the ground! I am fully aware about all dangers in my workshop so wooden floor is impregnated with a fire retardant substance every year for the past 5 years now! Plus my grandfather was welding in this workshop for around 40 years and there was no fire accident, still original wooden floor.

And it is in my nature that I stay in room at least half an hour after last welding, drilling or turning... And it still happens that I cannot sleep at night so I go in workshop and check everything!

Good plans for the table. I would also go slightly thicker on the top, and bolt the top on with countersunk screws, as these guys already pointed out. (Then again, I'm using an old typewriting table with a road sign clamped on top, so .....) Wheels are good, but I think you can get away with using the floor levels, since you're going to be doing the welding inside the shop, although you may want to consider making a smaller version on wheels or even a fold-up table so you can enjoy nice days outside, too ..

What kind of welding equipment are you using? Oxy-acetylene? TIG? MIG? Arc welder? For "electrical" welding, such as arc or TIG/MIG, you may also want to consider welding a large bolt underneath the table to act as your grounding point.

And your English is actually pretty good. Where exactly is Slovenia, please?
    Last edited by SpyGuy; 04-23-2009 at 12:39 AM.

I am using this MIG/MAG welder http://www.varstroj.si/index.php/varmig-1805.202.html It is not strictly for hobby and not profesional, I can say it is semi pro. Suits my needs 100%!

As many sugested to put wheels on table let me say that workshop is "underground" 4 stairs down, so it is imposible to go and weld outside on the table (it will weigh nearly 180kg). (I will post some pictures of my workshop ) And i would love to put thicker top but it is too expensive for me! If only i can find any scrap piece this size!

To SpyGuy: Thank you! Slovenia is in Europe, member of European Union (EU), former Yugoslavia. Here is link http://www.slovenia.si/

Nice little welder, looks like it's pretty versatile for different stuff ....

Okay, guys, he's got a semi-underground workshop. Next table needs to be on a setup like a rollup garage door or a drawer pull and slide out of the window .. Be kinda low for outside work, but at least he won't have to carry the pieces up any stairs. :P (And now ya know he's probably thinking about it ...)

Formerly Yugoslavia, gotcha. I was thinking somewhere around Austria - thanks for the map and info, very interesting.

Hello again!

I have bought metal for table and i need an advice on how to properly weld frame. I am worried about distortion in Z axis want it to be as flat as posible so table top will sit nicely).
    I have already red this post http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=23879

Material is 50 x 50 x 5 RHS.

Will it be OK if i tack all to make it square (like pictere in post mentioned obove) and then weld this sides first? Inner and outer corner?

What do you think about this idea?

Any kind of help appreciated!

PS.: SpyGuy, you were right, Austria is our north neighbor! And i already managed to get your idea out of my mind!
    Last edited by T_Eclipse; 05-04-2009 at 03:49 PM.