lincoln 200 engine removal question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

lincoln 200 engine removal question

how do you remove the engine from the armature? if you remove the bell housing bolts, does the engine separate from the armature?

Re: lincoln 200 engine removal question

don't ask me

I got this from the AWS wesite, courtesy of KSELLON. Hope it helps.

For 1948 and newer. The older SA200's used a capture plate assembly for the main armature bearing and lord bearings and pins on the armature and flywheel. THERE IS A DIFFERENT PROCEDURE TO DISASSEMBLE THAT STYLE MACHINE. I truly hope this helps some of you. Just go slow and steady. Go to page 22 of this link to identify the parts: http://content.lincolnelectric.com//.../parts/P23.pdf

IF AT ANY TIME YOU ARE IN DOUBT -- DON'T GUESS -- GIVE ME A CALL ARE ASK SOMEONE IN THIS FORUM.
    1- remove roof, gas tank and rails
    2- pull main brushes out of holders, disconnect cables coming from generator to main brush holders
    3- remove oil bath and starter
    4- remove cone end and exciter brush holders
    5- remove exciter (little)armature nut, washer and sleeve collar
    6- remove exciter armature
    7- remove control panel (leaving as many wires as possible attached to it) number cables to selector switch and disconnect.

MAKE SURE ALL PARTS ARE INDEPENDANT OF ONE ANOTHER (NO WIRES, CABLES ARE LINES INTERCONNECTING THEM)

8- remove the 4 bolts securing the exciter bracket to the main generator housing
    9- using a 2 arm puller, pull the exciter bracket assembly off of the main armature bearing
    10- remove the bolts securing the generator housing feet to the frame
    11- remove the bottom bolts securing the generator housing to the backing plate
    12- lift the generator housing and place a 2x4 under the front lip of the oil pan just behind the backing plate across the frame. You will also need to cut to shorter pieces of 2x4 to place on top of the long 2x4 on each side of the oil pan. Lower generator housing
    13- remove remaining bolts securing generator housing to backing plate
    14- slowly pull generator housing off
    15- remove the 8 bolts securing fans to the flex plates of the armature
    16- slightly lift main armature and give it a 1/4 turn to remove it from the flywheel
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

once you have the engine and armature pulled out of the generator housing youll see four pairs of bolts holding the armature to the flywheel. remove the four pairs of bolts and give the armature a half turn and it should come free from the four posts in the flywheel that lock it in place. I would check out the aws forums and search sa 200. I looked around there and found instructions with pics that were helpful in the restoration of my sa 200. hope that helps
    My vintage equipment
    1957 Lincoln sa 200
    1980's Lincoln 225 AC
    1952 F-2 ford truck
    1957 F-250 ford truck

thanks. that was what i needed. i appreciate it. you saved me a bunch of work. thanks, again