Pulling exhaust manifold studs - the easy way
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Pulling exhaust manifold studs - the easy way

No drills, no taps, no EZ-outs.

Don't bother trying to turn the studs and chance breaking them, just cut ‘em off:
    Attachment 32109
    Get the pipe out of the way. Another method is to cut the flange off the pipe, leaving the stud intact.

cut! Cut! CUT! Stop the bloody cameras!
    Attachment 32110

We apologize for the delay.
    Attachment 32111
    Your thread will resume shortly.

Your pointer is temporarily unavailable, however, please direct your attention to...
    Attachment 32112
    Manifold ears being heated. Vise-grips and candle on the ready. Candle wax to be drawn into the cooling threads as lube.

He's back!
    Okay, Roll 'em
    Attachment 32113
    Last edited by denrep; 10-19-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Re: Pulling exhaust manifold studs - the easy way

Explain the candle wax lube better! To be drawn? Why doesn't it go up in smoke at that temp? I've never heard of such a thing.
    Sorry about your pointer!! I get those regular.
    Last edited by gizzardgutz; 04-23-2009 at 01:23 AM. Reason: add
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

GG - Things are hot, but they cool fast. I push the candle to the top of the hole, while I gently rock the stud back and forth. Yes, the wax melts like crazy and runs off, but it definitely helps, especially as the parts cool.

By the way, just because it's hot, the studs can't simply be cranked out. That's why the Vise-grips need only a small bite; if it takes more torque than the small bite will handle, the bolt is not ready to turn out damage-free.

Good Luck

I've never heard of the candle trick, can't wait to use it! I love off-the-wall sh!t like this.
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

Denrep;
    Have you ever considered using spermaceti or jojoba oil instead of parrafin?

I've never had too much luck with the camlock stud extractor thingie that fits on the ratchet. Usually breaks the stud.

This is a MUST DO for next time. COOL(or Hot)

I hear that Pointer Rehab is a long painful emotional process. Hang in there and remember the good times
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post

I hear that Pointer Rehab is a long painful emotional process. Hang in there and remember the good times
    The good times that pointer has had!!
    Charlie

I don't even attempt to remove manifold studs unless everything is red hot.

Thanks Denrep. Medical and mechanical repairs all in one post!

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Judy wants to know when was your last tetanus shot?

Now you'll find out just how many times a day you hit the tip of that pointer.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Pulling exhaust manifold studs - the easy way??

Au contraire! That pointer would beg to differ with the aft portion of the thread title!

Besides, my second grade teacher says it's not polite to point.

But I'm 'sposed ta be in college now, better check with Professor Farnsworth.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

Wishing you a speedy recovery on the digit or pointer.

I was going to play with the word wick, as in the candle and looked it up in Apple's Dictionary. I'll let the reference speak for itself:

wick 1 |wik|
    noun
    a strip of porous material up which liquid fuel is drawn by capillary action to the flame in a candle, lamp, or lighter.
    • Medicine a gauze strip inserted in a wound to drain it.
    verb [ trans. ]
    absorb or draw off (liquid) by capillary action : these excellent socks will wick away the sweat | [ intrans. ] synthetics with hollow fibers that wick well.
    PHRASES
    dip one's wick vulgar slang (of a man) have sexual intercourse.
    ORIGIN Old English wēoce; related to Dutch wiek and German Wieche ‘wick yarn.’
    wicked |ˈwikid| |ˈwɪk1d| |ˈwɪkɪd|
    adjective ( -eder, -edest |ˈwɪk1d1st|)
    evil or morally wrong : a wicked and unscrupulous politician.
    • intended to or capable of harming someone or something : he should be punished for his wicked driving.
    • informal extremely unpleasant : despite the sun, the wind outside was wicked.
    • playfully mischievous : Ben has a wicked sense of humor.
    • informal excellent; wonderful : Sophie makes wicked cakes.
    • informal [as submodifier ] very; extremely : he runs wicked fast

So, in summary, we have: a wick in the candle, a medical dressing with wick to drain the wound, the rust surrounding the stud acts as a wick when heated and the wax applied, I note you "push the candle to the top of the hole" thereby avoiding the vulgarity of dipping your wick. You exhibit a wicked sense of humor and show us a wicked method of stud removal.
    What more could I say?

WICKED
    "One of the things we have to be thankful for is that we don't get as much government as we pay for." (Charles Kettering)
    Mitch 180 (NZ)
    Lincoln SAM-400-220 + ?-400 Fordson Major + 2 x Tractapac Humber 80 + Procut 40 Plasma
    Miller Spectrum 375

ive heard of this befor but i allways thought it was bs. now i want to try it.

Now just clean out the threads with a tap. Insert the new studs and as John Madden would say Bammmm your ready to go.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Quote Originally Posted by specter View Post
    Now just clean out the threads with a tap. Insert the new studs and as John Madden would say Bammmm your ready to go.
    "Bammmm" huh?

Is that like "drop" an engine in and "slap" a transmission in, and "pop" a rear end in it?

I was planning on thread chasing next.

I'm also trying to decide if I should pull the manifolds and replace the attaching bolts with stainless hardware, while it's out of the car.

With all the time I screwed away on the torch race, I probably could've had the engine ready to install in my old car.

Good Luck

i've seen the candle trick done too. never done it myself though. i usually get it orange hot, and if i can access the nuts with a socket and impact, then just take it off that way. makes for some really cool spark fireworks. LOL

if i can't get an impact on it and have to do it by hand, then i get it orange hot and then hit it with PB-Blaster, or Seafoam Deep Creep. that **** is like magic in a can. specially the seafoam stuff. a couple heat/spray cycles, and you can usually get them out with a hand wratchet.