What is 1/16 Flux Core used for usually?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

What is 1/16 Flux Core used for usually?

I was looking at some jobs and came across one that was for a flux core welder that has used 1/16 wire. I was just wanting to know what 1/16 flux core would be used for?

Re: What is 1/16 Flux Core used for usually?

Real thick plate would use that wire. Plus you have to have some amps to run it...Bob
    Bob Wright
    Salem, Ohio Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
    1999 Miller MM185 w/ Miller 185 Spoolmate spoolgun

What do you mean by amps to run it? I don't really know most of the lingo just yet or really anything about welding accpet how to do it.

1/16=.0625 This means you won't be running such big wire on a small mig with limited power (AMPS) output.

Quote Originally Posted by millerman03 View Post
    What do you mean by amps to run it? I don't really know most of the lingo just yet or really anything about welding accpet how to do it.
    170 to 400amps
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    TA 185
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

The job is likely a production fabrication or large fabrication project. Think ships.
    FCAW and Duel Shield GMAW are used when high deposition rates are needed to facilitate economy of scale, you have many hundreds of feet of 5/16" or bigger fillets to make.

1/16" FCAW is going to need 20+ volts and 300amps to run and the machine will need to be a 100% duty cycle unit.

To ask this question, means you're definitely NOT QUALIFIED for the job being advertised.

After going back and reading some of your other posts (Skyscrapers, etc), to have been working in the fab arena for 3 1/2 years, you seem to be a "slow learner" or not at all dedicated to the welding profession. Maybe the field is not the right one to pursue for your "life's work". Maybe flipping burgers at the local Micky D's, til the wife finishes dental school and can support the family, would be a better course of action.
    Last edited by SundownIII; 04-27-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Addition
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

I have an LN-22 that uses 1/16 flux core (self shielded only). I have welded 1/4" plate and other things including the tailpipe on a bobcat loader. It depends on what the job is and which self shielded wire you are using.

Here is the minimum spec for NR211-MP in .068"

40 inches per minute
    15 volts
    125 amps.

Its a nice universal wire (the 6013 of self shielded wire) NOT rated for anything structural.

Page 13 here http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ure/c32000.pdf

This is ONLY one example of 1/16 flux cored wire. There are many and the above statements are true. Usually its for big stuff, some times outside because dualshield is not as practical. If the job is for NR232, GOOD LUCK that stuff is a bear to run and does start at 200+ amps.

David
    Last edited by David R; 04-27-2009 at 03:38 PM.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    To ask this question, means you're definitely NOT QUALIFIED for the job being advertised.

After going back and reading some of your other posts (Skyscrapers, etc), to have been working in the fab arena for 3 1/2 years, you seem to be a "slow learner" or not at all dedicated to the welding profession. Maybe the field is not the right one to pursue for your "life's work". Maybe flipping burgers at the local Micky D's, til the wife finishes dental school and can support the family, would be a better course of action.

Do you permanently have a stick shoved up your pooper, or is it removable without specialty tools? He asked a question that had nothing to do with him doing a job. Once again, you speak up and try to sound knowledgeable, without actually adding any true help to the situation at hand.

As far as answering the question goes, I agree with the others. High deposition rates, relatively high power requirements, and it would be used in places that usually cannot be welded with true MIG. High-draft/wind situations, metal that may not be very well cleaned, possibly have a small amount of rust, and/or there just isn't room to use a full 14" rod and stinger in the joint. The joint may just be too long and switching out a rod every 45 seconds just isn't feasible/rational.

In short, there are a number of reasons that an individual or company would require FCAW to be used.
    Miller TB302
    Miller Spectrum 1000
    Miller Spectrum 1251
    XMT 456 CC/CV
    Coolmate 4
    D-74D Dual Wire Feeder
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Chassis Cab (Cummins of course)

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post

3 1/2 years of fab with my hand held. My dad is the one with the shop I was never interested in knowing any of it he would tell me to do a weld and I would after he setup the machine and everything else. I just recently decided that I wanted to pursue welding as a career. So I start in August to learn it all on my own at a local university.

And the jobs thing I look around and see what is hiring and things so that when I don't know what something is, well I ask as I did I don't plan on working until I get out of school.

I work a cash register at a gas station to be exact. Flipping burgers is to complicated for me.

Fluffy,

Then maybe you should hire him to run some 1/16" fluxcore or build a skyscraper.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250

Huh? What are you talking about?

Do you not get enough hugs at home, or does your dog revolt when you kick him? One of the two has to be wrong in your life.
    Miller TB302
    Miller Spectrum 1000
    Miller Spectrum 1251
    XMT 456 CC/CV
    Coolmate 4
    D-74D Dual Wire Feeder

Ok Fluffy, you got your rant for the day. Can you share some insight into the welding profession other than the bashing? I'm young and looking for knowledge.

I just wanted to get paid. I wasn't worried about what I was doing or why I was doing it. No I didn't get my hand held. I was a college kid looking for a paycheck and my dad gave it to me by doing what he told me to.

3 1/2 years of fab with my hand held. My dad is the one with the shop I was never interested in knowing any of it he would tell me to do a weld and I would after he setup the machine and everything else. I just recently decided that I wanted to pursue welding as a career. So I start in August to learn it all on my own at a local university.

And the jobs thing I look around and see what is hiring and things so that when I don't know what something is, well I ask as I did I don't plan on working until I get out of school.

I work a cash register at a gas station to be exact. Flipping burgers is to complicated for me.
    You'll do just fine
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA 185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Ok Fluffy, you got your rant for the day. Can you share some insight into the welding profession other than the bashing? I'm young and looking for knowledge.

I just wanted to get paid. I wasn't worried about what I was doing or why I was doing it. No I didn't get my hand held. I was a college kid looking for a paycheck and my dad gave it to me by doing what he told me to.
    Fluffy's comment was directed at Sundown
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA 185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Oh I thought he was making the comment about my dad doing everything for me as far machine setup and things.

I apologize Fluffly.

Millerman, no offense taken. Nothing was aimed at you other than the direct answer to your specific question (what is this exact wire used for). I was refering to Sundown's usual negative persona.
    Miller TB302
    Miller Spectrum 1000
    Miller Spectrum 1251
    XMT 456 CC/CV
    Coolmate 4
    D-74D Dual Wire Feeder

fluffy,

Did you even bother to read some of the OP's other posts?

We're talking about a 22 yr old here, not some HS senior.

For 3 1/2 years (his comment) he's been working in a fab shop. After all that time, his dad still "sets up the machine for him". Duh?

Now he's going to college to "learn to be a welder". This is, of course, at the same time his wife is going thru dental school. What's wrong with this picture?

Welding skyscrapers, welding pipe, welding heavy fab. Does anybody really think these skills are developed without a lot of hard work and study on the welder's part?
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250

As far as I am concerned, previous posts have no relevance in this issue. He asked a simple, straight-forward question, which in my mind, deserves a simple, straight-forward response. Whether he is, or is not qualified for the job mentioned is also irrelevant.

Bottom line, your "answer" was off topic and adds nothing of value to this thread.
    Miller TB302
    Miller Spectrum 1000
    Miller Spectrum 1251
    XMT 456 CC/CV
    Coolmate 4
    D-74D Dual Wire Feeder

OK

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Good answer, by the way.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250