Using Stick in a TIG torch ?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Using Stick in a TIG torch ?

Question....

I've seen a couple of Websites where people have a a 6013, 3/32 STICK hanging out the end of the TIG torch. Although I've seen photos, I've never seen 'results' or any 'real' information as to whether this works, or if it is even recommended. Is this even possible ? Has anyone done it and what were the results ? (To be clear, this would be a TIG machine that does NOT have the stinger attachment).

Cheers,

/Jman...

Re: Using Stick in a TIG torch ?

thats just retarded......

It works, it will probably damage your gas lens if you have one but it does work.
    Have we all gone mad?

Ive fused my filler to my tugsten and blown an ark of the end of the filler.
    Just like stick.

i don't see why it wouldn't work. the gtaw torch conducts the power to the electrode just like a SMAW stinger does.

i guess sometimes you gotta do what it takes to get the job done

i dont doubt it would work but if youre that hard up to stick weld get a stinger for that thing. you will prolly mess your equipment up dooing that. or just tig it, that would be my choice anyway!

Well, ya....

That's what I'm saying... Apparently it's possible to burn a few sticks this way if your TIG doesn't allow for a STINGER. Myself, I have such a TIG but will definitely be picking up a more powerful 'Buzz Box' in order to burn STICKS. Just thought it would be neat to see it being done, or have someone who HAS done it show some pics....

Cheers,

/Jman...

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Well, ya....

That's what I'm saying... Apparently it's possible to burn a few sticks this way if your TIG doesn't allow for a STINGER. Myself, I have such a TIG but will definitely be picking up a more powerful 'Buzz Box' in order to burn STICKS. Just thought it would be neat to see it being done, or have someone who HAS done it show some pics....

Cheers,

/Jman...
    Sorry........Just havin' some fun

Im sure it could be done in a pickle. I am now curious to see some results.
    If i get some time soon, i'll give it a try and post back.

Yes it will work. People that are too LAZY to hook up there electrode stinger use that method. I would think it someone was going to be welding alot with stick then they would switch it, but I could see someone using it if they were only going to burn one stick. I would not run a stick in my tig torch because I am too cheap and I would be afraid I would ruin something. I would rather take a few extra minutes and switch it over.. It can riun your expensive lens, collet body, etc...

and if you did it it would look the same as welding with a regular stinger.

I was thinking maybe you seen a stinger like this http://store.cyberweld.com/twweelho400a.html and thought it was tig?
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

This is directly from welding tips and tricks

"Need to stick weld / arc weld on your Tig machine? If you only need to burn a few rods then don’t even bother hooking up a stinger. Just use your Tig torch with a 1/8” or 3/32”collet setup. You can even use the foot pedal if you want."

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/stick-welding.html

scroll down about half way or a little more to see the picture

Yup thats where i seen it at. I guess it will work but why would you want to do that though. Just too lazy i guess!
    Ya gotta spend money to make money!

I have done it and it works just fine. Of course your rod has to match your collet size.
    About 4 months ago I bought a PT 225 off the net. The stick stinger is an option which I also ordered. The PT 225 shows up but no stinger, it was shipped seperate. I just had to try the new welder so I burnt some 3/32 rod with the tig torch. No differance than if you used a rod stinger. CC is CC. Only thing I would watch out for is if you stick a rod you don't pull it out at the tig tourch collet. The machine has a stick setting so I did not have to use the foot pedal.

I'm kinda curious now. I won't ever stick weld with my tig torch, but do you think there would be any benefit to using the stinger with foot pedal and maybe even pulse?

mmmmm.... wouldnt the polarity need changing?...for most rods anyway.
    G

I would guess that with the foot pedal the rod would burn hotter as amps went up and colder as they went down, even go out if the current got to low. I would guess same with pulse. No idea what would happen if you jacked around with the frequency on AC.

Quote Originally Posted by gordfraser View Post
    mmmmm.... wouldnt the polarity need changing?...for most rods anyway.
    pretty easy to do on a name brand machine. Just swap the leads or in my case flip the switch.

would it be possibile to use HF function with stick?

haha it might work but good luck creating a procedure with it. I dont see the point of it