Millermatic 252?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Millermatic 252?

I finally upgraded my Millermatic to a 252. This one has a spot timer and a stitch function. Anyone actually use those? Do you find them useful? How do you actually use them?

metalmagpie

Re: Millermatic 252?

I've had my 252 for about 3 years now, never used the stitch function or spot timer. I love my little welder, it's never let me down and I've put down a lot of filler. I would go to the Miller site and see what they recommend that function for.
    Guy_48
    Welding is an art......
    Millermatic 252
    Lincoln SP175Plus
    Lincoln 225 AC/DC

It's used for exactly what the name implies - spot and stitch welding.

For consistent spot welding the weld time and burn-back timers are adjusted to give the required spot weld for a given thickness metal. Weld output needs to be set to provide sufficient "burn thru" of the thinner (if different) or top layer of sheet metal and into the bottom piece. The weld timer is set to stop the wire feed to prevent burn thru of bottom piece yet provide proper penetration and the burn-back is set to keep the arc going just long enough to prevent the filler wire from sticking in the cooling puddle but not burn back to the gun tip. Spot welding is usually done at very high output settings with very short weld and burn-back times.

The stitch timer function is used in conjunction with the spot timer and controls the length of time the arc stops after the spot timer times out while still keeping the trigger depressed. This simply allows for consistent length stitch welds - or even rapid succession spot welds.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Don't use them.

The spot welding setup is great for tack work you should try it

It took a little time to get the settings just the way i liked it and using the proper nozzle i could tack weld what i was fabbing without using my hood and do it fast

Just aim pull trigger and it was done and done well so it would hold as i tacked it all together i used to do it the way a lot do it aim pull trigger for a second oh and close your eyes...oops missed....oops wire stuck...oops tack popped loose cause it wasn't done right go back and do it again...now the tack is to big to just weld over without showing...oops burned thru the expanded type metal screen

The function has it's place i never did the stitch thing couldn't do a consistent travel speed to make it come out right on the spacing trying to do doors
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Suitecase 12RC
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Victor O/A
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Kill dozier, that method is the path to cataracts, as the uv light goes right through your eye lids. Be careful.

Yep is was a dumb thing to do but i didn't give it much thought back then
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
    Suitecase 12RC
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Victor O/A
    Evolution Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

I spent $500 to get the spot/stitch option on my millermatic 200 back then IIRC. Only used it to try it when I got the machine and see how it works. That's probably the last time I used it. I just do it manually with the gun trigger, Works good enough for me.

Are you guys aware Miller sells a special nozzle for spot welding? The business end looks like the top of a rook from a chess set, it is designed so you push down with this nozzle which holds the sheet metal tightly together and then pull the trigger to make your spot weld. I guess the notches in the end are to let the c25 flow over the spot weld.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc 250 AC DC
    MM200
    MM251
    30a Spoolgun
    Square Wave Tig 175
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85