Price of steel 2x2 11 gauge these days
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Price of steel 2x2 11 gauge these days

Just wondering if I am paying thru the nose or not. 2x2 1/8" (11 gauge) is $53+$5 to cut so basically $60 plus tax. That is for a 20 ft section in the SE, central NC.

That is will call not delivered, and ordered off the street.

Seems kinda expensive as I look around the web, but not really any other option here (probably why it is more?).
    Miller Passport

Re: Price of steel 2x2 11 gauge these days

That's about 86 cents a pound plus the cut charge.

Edit: That's assuming 2 x 2 square tube, not angle.
    Last edited by Oldendum; 09-24-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

I don't have my latest price receipt for what I bought, but it seems to me I paid less than that for 2"x2"x3/16" in a 20' piece. Put a rack on your truck or use a trailer and haul it in 20' pieces. Bring your own saw or torch, cut it your self and save $5 on each piece. I have a rack on my truck(13'6") that I carry 20' pieces on. If I want my steel cut, I do it AFTER I get it home.

Angle or square tube? I priced out 2x2 1/8" angle today from one place at $1.62 / ft. The place I go is local and will sell me 1 foot or a full length for the same price. They aren't always the cheapest, but I prefer to do business with the little guy so they stay open. They also are open on Saturdays when the other guys aren't.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Sorry it's 2x2 tubing. You must buy the whole thing.

I actually don't have a truck, I have a station wagon...rented a trailer from U-haul to get the steel plate home, but can carry 10-13 ft sticks in the back of the wagon without too much issue.

If we had a 3 car garage I'd have an older F150+trailer but just no room right now.

I'm making my first item, a welding table (of course) I'll post some pics in the appropriate section later. It's hard working on the floor but it will all be over soon...
    Miller Passport

$3 a foot for 2x2x 1/8" is a decent price. Not great, but acceptable.

4130 of the same spec is running from $7 to 11 a foot!

As of late, all the shops we deal with have had some stupid high prices on this smaller kind of materials. (Our common buys are pipe, sched. 40 in 6" to 18" diameter. Depending on grade, this stuff gets EXPENSIVE!!! But it bugs me to no end that they seem to hammer us on stupid, common material they sell miles of.
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????