simple road gate
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

simple road gate

looking for some ideas for a simple gate that will be to close off a road.any ideas would be helpfull.thanks mike

Re: simple road gate

from car, foot , atv's, or all .. traffic
    can be as simple as a one bar to a fancy gate
    weed more info ?

Like, this simple?

it will be mainly for trucks. it is going in a duck club it is not the main entrance but just a couple of side roads that mark the boundry of the club. people are not the problem just dont want trucks ect getting through.it allso will have water on bolth sides so the only way in is through the gate .thanks guys!mike

how about two like this
    Attached Images Attached Images  

that would fast and easy
    a few sticks of pipe and readymix

I see ones like this a lot

and so

I like the first pic Viper.

I have one like pic 2, but built too high, and people with 4 wheelers just drive under it.

They cut the fence if they can't get through a gate around here.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

1 1/4" square tubing frame with a 6" x 6" livestock panel on it. It will never sag and is really cheap to build.

Two posts and a piece of cable or chain...... maybe put a "keep out" or " no trespassing" sign in the middle so it can be seen well.
    HH 187
    Miller Bluestar1E

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhorse View Post
    Two posts and a piece of cable or chain...... maybe put a "keep out" or " no trespassing" sign in the middle so it can be seen well.
    I lost a friend of mine in high school to a cable across a lane, on a snowmobile in the winter doing 50 - 60 mph. Wet snow stuck to everything and you couldn't see that little cable against the back ground of snow. Cable isn't such a good idea in my mind.
    Last edited by gclamp; 06-12-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: forgot the word see
    Lincoln Ranger 8 Lincoln 175 Drill press
    Lincoln 225 mig
    Plasma
    8 ft brake
    52" jump shear

Sorry to hear about the loss.

On the flip side, private roads is private roads. Shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I know I'm coming off sounding like a grade "A" A$$hole, but it's a problem we face here all the time. Folks think because there's nobody around, it's free territory.

I know this is a pretty lousy response, but it's what I face all the time.

I don't know how many times I go up to cut the hay meadow, and there's 4 wheeler tracks over a good part of it. Wheels knock down the grass, and the swather won't cut it because it's layed down, and the baler pickup gets fouled because of the layed down grass that's under the windrows.

Those property boundary lines mean something. Folks need to learn to stay off other people's land

here if someones on your property you can take their snowmobile. So the farmers lay cable all over then sit and wait, they run into the cable and they go take the snowmobile, a friend of mine has gotten 3 or 4 by doing this.

Looks good on the guys who want to ride through someones farm.
    25 years of age.
    Been welding since Feb 23rd 2009.
    LU1007 Millwright (A1)

Farmersamm, thanx for the condolences, I baled alot of hay as a kid and the number one farm product around here is hay. I agree, private property is just that, Private Property. But in todays society, what with lawyers owning the back of the phone book, I would make it as visible as possible. Or it might just become someone elses private property.
    Lincoln Ranger 8 Lincoln 175 Drill press
    Lincoln 225 mig
    Plasma
    8 ft brake
    52" jump shear

Was a crappy thing for me to rant about. Nobody should die to preserve property rights.

Gotta be some solution

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Was a crappy thing for me to rant about. Nobody should die to preserve property rights.

Gotta be some solution
    If each and every county would offer a place for 4 wheeling, snowmobiling, dirt biking and such, it may not cure the trespassing problem, but I would bet that it sure would cut down on it!
    We had 2 such places here, one was taken away and the county sold off parcels to make an industrial park out of about 30 years ago, but it has never taken off as an industrial park much.
    the other place was blocked off and no trespassing signs thrown up about 6 years ago, because a few idiots kept going out there and wrecking the place, throwing trash everywhere, and a few more took old vehicles out there, rolled them over and then just left them, turning it into more of a dump than anything, and then there was the ones who actually used it as a dump to dump their junk, fridges and old bed matresses, old tires and you name it, this all took place in just the last 10 years.
    When I was a teen, we partied back there, ran 4x4's, bikes and such all over the place back there, but most all of us would take our trash back out with us, as we where told as long as we kept it clean, we had free use of it!
    Seems a lack of respect for what belongs to others and for permission and privileges has grown way out of proportion over the years!
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

Why not make a cable gate and then hang a small metal sign from it? That'd keep it pretty visible even in the winter time, plus it'd be super easy to build too.

water on both sides? dig a trench and instal a draw bridge
    Nothing Ever Got Done By Quitting, Never Give Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug247 View Post
    water on both sides? dig a trench and instal a draw bridge

And a BUXOM BABE IN A CORSET TO COLLECT THE TOLL

I'd go for the big triangle-style gate as Viper posted in #8, painted the brightest, most obnoxious Day-Glo color you can find. Cable isn't such a great idea, no matter how easy or cheap it is - getting strung on a wire is a sure way to ruin your day, or someone else's.

Gclamp, sorry to hear about your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    And a BUXOM BABE IN A CORSET TO COLLECT THE TOLL
    Its ideas like ours that can make this a better world : drinkup:
    Nothing Ever Got Done By Quitting, Never Give Up.