Question On AWS CWI Certification Exam Study Materials
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question On AWS CWI Certification Exam Study Materials

I want to get AWS CWI certified. What study materials should I use? Is there a practice exam? Where can I buy the study materials at cheap price? Would prefer to not buy from AWS because prices are high.

Thank you,

BennyB

Re: Question On AWS CWI Certification Exam Study Materials

Sign up for the seminar and have the books shipped out several months in advance. I did it that way and it made the seminar and test simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bastard View Post
    Sign up for the seminar and have the books shipped out several months in advance. I did it that way and it made the seminar and test simple.
    I did the same. I know it's expesive, but I know I would have have passed without the seminar. And when you are there, don't plan on partying at night, plan on keeping your head IN the books. It will make a difference. I know several people that went back several times to pass it, somehow I managed to pass it on the first try.
    Jamie Webb
    Welder & Inspector
    Business and Hobby
    Lincoln Pro-Mig 180 with Spool Gun and Lincoln AC225

I self studied using "AWS Welding Handbook Volume 1", "Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors" and various code books I had at the time.

The above books contain most of the subject matter on the CWI exam or at least it was enough for me to pass. The problem is that unlike a course specifically designed to assist with passing a test, you have to read and absorb much more. If you have time for self study and are interested in the subject matter than it may be easy . If your sole intent is to pass the test but you have not cracked open many welding or inspection related books until now, a course may be the answer. Never took one myself but have hear mixed reviews on many of them.

Gerald

Here's a list very comparable to what you'd be given in a seminar:

Either the API-M API 1104 Study guide, or the D1.1 equivalent from AWS.
    AWS Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors *if you could only have one, this would be it.
    AWS VIW-M Visual Inspection Workshop Manual
    AWS WI Seld INspection Handbook
    AWS WIT-T Welding Inspection Technology
    AWS WIT-W Welding Inspection Technology Workbook

As for buying at a cheap price... forget about it. I just compiled this list the other day so my company could order a few copies to train people ourselves rather than send them to the seminars.

Thank you for the many good answers.

One more question....

My question on the exam.......

Are you tested on all three, (1) API-M (2) API 1104 and the (3) D1.1? Or do you choose before hand what section to be tested on? If you only chose 1 section, what is most easy? So if I just only 1 I only need to purchase the book for that section? I don't understand this aspect of the exam.

Regards,

BennyB

You will select a specific code book to test on. You will have to have the actual code book and edition.

Photocopies are not allowed as far as I know.

There is no "most easy" that I am aware of. Whatever code you are most familar with would be the one suggested .

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bastard View Post

Where I can buy a book with training questions and answers for AWS CWI certification exam?

Quote Originally Posted by jakobj View Post
    Where I can buy a book with training questions and answers for AWS CWI certification exam?
    The Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors is your best bet for general knowledge. If you can find the older version of that book that's broken up into individual modules (went MUCH more in depth, not all necessary, but still good practice), it has questions at the end of each chapter as well.

If you have not bought your books yet, go to the AWS website forum and search for used books. You will be able to save money that way if there are any for sale.

There is no inexpensive tech books affiliated with AWS out there that I know of. I suggest to bite the bullet and purchase them or if you can borrow them for the test the better. I say purchase because they will become part of your library in the future,n't and would you buy best for an important job which you are doing.
    Use a code book which you are familiar with and have worked with, you can use any code book which AWS recommends but I would stick with one you know. The test is to assure you understand how to navigate through the various code books out there you will be qualified for them all with just one test.
    Hope this helps you out a little and best of luck
    Weldor/ Certified Inspector

You guys that got your books shipped out before the exam - did you just ask for them to do that? I'm signed up and paid for the Atlanta one in March, and would definitely like to get the books before the exam to get more familiar with them...

Hi, where should I buy book from?

Quote Originally Posted by jakobj View Post
    Join the AWS and fine your local section and attend some meetings. The people here in Alaska helped a lot of folks get their papers.

Quote Originally Posted by TubularFab View Post
    You guys that got your books shipped out before the exam - did you just ask for them to do that? I'm signed up and paid for the Atlanta one in March, and would definitely like to get the books before the exam to get more familiar with them...
    I called Fla. and talked to a nice lady that boxed and shipped them that was in 1992

Might want to try thepiratebay or isohunt. I got some AWS books off a torrent site months ago, I don't have the clams to buy expensive tech books without a plan to take the test anytime soon. Won't help you if you need the actual books for the test but its a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gaustin View Post
    You will select a specific code book to test on. You will have to have the actual code book and edition.

Photocopies are not allowed as far as I know.

There is no "most easy" that I am aware of. Whatever code you are most familar with would be the one suggested .
    they actually check to see if you have a copy of a code book??? wow, never had that issue here, thanks for the heads up when i do my CWI
    Steve Hot Rod Hooligan

Miller Maxstar 200 STR
    Campbell Housfeld Flux Core 80

I have only written one code test. The most helpful thing I did was to put tabs on the important pages so that you could find the relevant section. Most are open book tests which are difficult since often you have to cite or find the correct clause or passage.
    Also putting the tabs on and deciding where to put them is a form of study.

1) You should first figure out what code you want to test on, 2) Purchase the code books that AWS is going to test you on. 3) Check at this website: www.weld-procedure.com and tell them pgbenak@msn.com sent you. It is a self paced online coarse that is what you put into your study time! You should do just fine.

I have the part A exam Pattern in My hand

I have the part A exam Pattern

i will give the question pattern

I will give the qns pattern for part a

I would imagine that the CWB testing procedure is nearly identical. given both CWB and AWS acknowledge each others qualifications.

...I have only written one code test. The most helpful thing I did was to put tabs on the important pages so that you could find the relevant section. Most are open book tests which are difficult since often you have to cite or find the correct clause or passage.
    Also putting the tabs on and deciding where to put them is a form of study...
    Awesome advice in my opinion. Believe it or not but the open book parts of the xams are the toughest.
    My first time the whole process took 8 hours to finish.

As far as code books are concerned..buy only what you need and will work with. For me that was Sect IX ASME BPVC, and CSA W59 (same as D1.1). and for best results ... take the seminars. Well worth the money.

Rgds,

theo
    Welding Supervisor/PipeFitter: 35 yrs in..
    Welding Engineering Technologist('86)
    CWB Level II Welding Inspector ('91)
    Alberta Journeyman Welder ('81)

I think i have some practice test CWI questions too, if anyone wants.