HF tools that don't suck - Page 34
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Re: HF tools that don't suck

Add "for the money" - 12" disc sander - no vibration, pretty powerful - cheap alum table (works).....6 X 48 horizontal belt sander - heavy cast iron, surprisingly powerful motor (dinky little thing) never used the disc sander - takes 5 to 10 min to change the belt, tracks good though - pain to assemble, pulley took some monkeying around to set it up. I use both these all the time. We'll see how long they last - couple years on both.

the 4lb orange dead blow is pretty good

It is what it is. I don't eat " food" from Wenditas, BK, McD, KF, or any of that crap but it can damn sure keep you alive in a pinch.
    For regular folk HF replaced Sears-Crappmann for halfascz tools to have around the house.They have a bunch of stuff the avg person can get by just fine with. To say any different is nonsense.
    Even Royalty such as my dumm bass has quite few items that originated there.The tool boxes can easily prove that guys with SnapOn accounts are idiots with a money management problem ! UH OH
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 03-20-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Am I banned again ?
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 03-20-2017 at 01:23 AM.

I picked up one of those roll around shop carts/tool boxes that has like 6 draws a big open top area (that has a flip up cover) and a big open tray area underneath. I got it as a dedicated mill box, holds all the endmills, fly cutters, boring heads, collets, rotary table, and whatnot for the mill. Nice thing too is with the knee cranked up some (not all the way) the box slides right under the mill table and out of the way!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

I have a 3 speed polisher that was on sale for $14.00 that has been great

Just saw this thread again. I'm still working a noizyazz P.O.S. Portaband on a stand(older one) for about the third year now.Maybe 4 ? It's new backup is still in the box on the shelf. Damn thing is pretty tuff I must admit.Very surprising
    I found a coupon for their portaband that brought the price down to $99. For that I price I couldn't pass it up. with the replacement plan I am all in for $135. I put a Milwaukee blade on it from Home Depot, and it cuts like a champ. I have to say it is not all that noisy, at least not like I have seen in some of the Youtube video reviews. We'll see how long it lasts.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I had to make a bunch of square holes in 1/8" for carriage bolts and bought the $15 air file, it worked great and fast, even came with 4 files. Time will tell how long it will last but when I bought it I didn't care as long as it lasted the day.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

HF tools that don't suck

So far this HF item has been great.
    I think I used a 25% off ticket...

I use it to fuel my kubota. (home heating oil tank for garage furnace)

fills the 6.6 gal tank in less than 30 seconds.

quite awesome.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...ump-66784.html

Name:  2233s.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  2233ss.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  287.4 KB
    Last edited by John T; 08-14-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Miller 211/Spoolmate 100
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Hypertherm PM 45
    Lincoln SP125 plus
    HTP 221
    Chicom spot welder

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Kinda primitive but I use the hand-crank Diesel drum pump from HF. The one that can suck if turned in the opposite direction. It simply works.

The reverse is useful if I've filled right up to the top of the tank neck and need to suck a few ounces out before putting back on the cap/float/fuel gauge contraption.

I am very surprised that some people on the forum actually have some luck with HF power tools and pneumatic tools as well.

The 3 ton steel floor jack has worked well for me. As for the transmission jack, the cheap steel threaded adjustment bolts stripped the first time I used it.

As for power tools, I bought the 9" grinder and it failed during the first 4 hours of use. Exchanged it for another one. Put a grinding wheel on, fired it up and it smoked. Took it back to HF and sale person said, "These don't fail very often." Took the last one off the shelf. Didn't get more than ten hours of use before it failed. Got my money back.

As for the smaller grinders, they just don't last .... cheap ones or their higher end unit. Trash bins has 5 of them in it.

Bought their "D" handle 1/2" drill. Worked fine until the "D" handle broke off where the bushes were mounted. I won't buy any of their battery operated tools.

I have a heavy Milwaukee 6" grinder that's over 40 years old and works great, just heavy. Same for my other Milwaukee tools, 1/2" hole hawg, 3/8" and 1/2" drill motors. Have only had to change the cords due to age and they've been worked hard.

Last week at an online auction I purchased 3 ea 4-1/2" Milwaukee grinders, a 6" grinder and 2 ea 3/8" drill motors, all for $102 (all Milwaukee). They looked brand new.

Many here have stated that the HF stuff is OK, just don't expect to last or work them commercially.

this combo metal sander has done surprising well for me, light duty application, very handy, for small stuff, sometimes i hate a bench grinder, so this has its place if used gingerly and also this fan has been keeping me cool

Name:  16 (2).jpg
Views: 277
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  16 (3).jpg
Views: 274
Size:  74.7 KB

I just ordered a compressed air dryer.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

I love the new Bauer portaband still on the first blade Ive cut nothing but stainless ,muffler pipe,some regular steel( tube flat you name it and tons of it), and two 6×3/4 1060 cutting edges cut just as good as my Milwaukee did and for the price with the warranty you can't beat it... Only improvement would be the led light for it and some wax to help with the longevity of the blade

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    I picked up one of those roll around shop carts/tool boxes that has like 6 draws a big open top area (that has a flip up cover) and a big open tray area underneath. I got it as a dedicated mill box, holds all the endmills, fly cutters, boring heads, collets, rotary table, and whatnot for the mill. Nice thing too is with the knee cranked up some (not all the way) the box slides right under the mill table and out of the way!
    I'd like to see a pic of your setup.
    My name's not Jim....

Their new F-style clamp is pretty good, heavier duty than the earlier one, with the 20% off coupon it's worked very good on the 3 inch square tubing I was building with.https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...amp-63512.html
    Thermal Arc 210, Tweco 211I, Cutmaster 52

Quote Originally Posted by mxpapa View Post
    Their new F-style clamp is pretty good, heavier duty than the earlier one, with the 20% off coupon it's worked very good on the 3 inch square tubing I was building with.https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...amp-63512.html
    I have 4 of their early versions of the F clamp. They are ok but I wish I had the new ones. The bar is much thicker. Mine bow fairly easy when they are clamped tight. They are still worth having but I have to be carful. The new Heavier ones I believe will be on par with the name brand ones as far as strength.