HF tools that don't suck - Page 34
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Re: HF tools that don't suck

drill press vise, I don't know how I did without one for so many years.... works great to hold things while welding too, dual purpose!!
    If you want to learn no one can stop you.

Hobart Handler 175 / AHP AlphaTig 200X V4 / HF 95136 Plasma

HF tube roller rolling some 3/4x1" bar

http://i.imgur.com/a0GLDEP.jpg
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Add "for the money" - 12" disc sander - no vibration, pretty powerful - cheap alum table (works).....6 X 48 horizontal belt sander - heavy cast iron, surprisingly powerful motor (dinky little thing) never used the disc sander - takes 5 to 10 min to change the belt, tracks good though - pain to assemble, pulley took some monkeying around to set it up. I use both these all the time. We'll see how long they last - couple years on both.

the 4lb orange dead blow is pretty good

It is what it is. I don't eat " food" from Wenditas, BK, McD, KF, or any of that crap but it can damn sure keep you alive in a pinch.
    For regular folk HF replaced Sears-Crappmann for halfascz tools to have around the house.They have a bunch of stuff the avg person can get by just fine with. To say any different is nonsense.
    Even Royalty such as my dumm bass has quite few items that originated there.The tool boxes can easily prove that guys with SnapOn accounts are idiots with a money management problem ! UH OH
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 03-20-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Am I banned again ?
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 03-20-2017 at 01:23 AM.

I picked up one of those roll around shop carts/tool boxes that has like 6 draws a big open top area (that has a flip up cover) and a big open tray area underneath. I got it as a dedicated mill box, holds all the endmills, fly cutters, boring heads, collets, rotary table, and whatnot for the mill. Nice thing too is with the knee cranked up some (not all the way) the box slides right under the mill table and out of the way!
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

I have a 3 speed polisher that was on sale for $14.00 that has been great

Just saw this thread again. I'm still working a noizyazz P.O.S. Portaband on a stand(older one) for about the third year now.Maybe 4 ? It's new backup is still in the box on the shelf. Damn thing is pretty tuff I must admit.Very surprising
    I found a coupon for their portaband that brought the price down to $99. For that I price I couldn't pass it up. with the replacement plan I am all in for $135. I put a Milwaukee blade on it from Home Depot, and it cuts like a champ. I have to say it is not all that noisy, at least not like I have seen in some of the Youtube video reviews. We'll see how long it lasts.
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Good things from HF that I use:
    1. 2,000 winch. Had it over 20 years now. I've pulled a lot with it. The plastic has cracked but it still works. Pulled my Tundra up hill this winter and got the 4wd unstuck. Best 49 dollars I ever spent.
    2. 4.5 angle grinder. It's also about 20 years old and grinds like a champ.
    3. Impact sockets
    4. Automotive style spray gun
    5. Various sockets
    6. 212cc engine. I did a serious upgrade on my snowblower engine that was a 126 ish cc engine. It now blows snow 2 driveways over.
    7. 3 ton jack for my very low to the ground sports car. Works great.
    8. Potato to French fry slicer.
    9. Straps of all sorts
    10. Blades upon blades.
    11. Ball hitch
    12. Welding gloves
    13. Air rivet. ...this thing is a must have. There must be 3,000 rivits in my sports car and all of them were put in with the HF rivit gun
    14. Dollies to move a car around in a tight space.
    15. Grease guns. Manual type
    16. Safety glasses
    17. Knee pads
    18. Extension cords
    19. Pig tails
    20. Some 18v cordless drills. Had to replace the chucks but are still going strong some 30 years later. A good $19 buy.
    21. Bench top grinder
    22. Various screw drivers. This is hit or miss depending on the type
    23. Mirrors to see around stuff and in tight situationschedule
    24. Dust mask for when I sand
    25. Fuel cans
    26. Drill bits galore
    27. A little twig chipper. Hey, it works.
    28. Air powered cut off tool. A handy thing.
    29. 1/2" air impact guns
    30. Pry bar
    31. Torque bar
    I'm sure there are more.

+1 on the cheap 4.5" angle grinders. I burned up a Ryobi and then a Makita a year later. I grab a new one from HF every time they are on sale and use the coupon. Now have 5, all with different attachments. They're all still going strong for garage work.

I'm new to metal, been a woodworker for many years. I needed to drill eight 3/8" and eight 1/2" holes in 1/4" steel. Rather than progressively changing to larger bits I drilled a 1/8" pilot hole and used the HF 60379 step drill set with the longer steps in it. Perfect for 1/4" material and no changing bits. I lubed a lot and let the bit cool after every 2 or 3 holes and this bit seemed to hole it's edge well.

Mike

I found the HF 170 works great out box
    Welds the same as a good Miller or Lincoln of same size
    Welds the best under 100 amps
    Just a Simple transform type MIG welder
    HF compares to https://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500559.../dp/B009X43F38
    But HF 170 works better is runs on 240 volts never flip the breaker most 120 v welder flip the breaker

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by smithdoor; 04-16-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Saw this thread and I was sure I'd read about an HF vacuum that didn't suck, that's what I was expecting anyway...

I don't buy too much stuff in HF, mostly because I hate the smell of the place...I just figure it must be 2 week old Chinese food they pack the stuff in...

I do have a couple things that do work ok.

I bought some wheels for carts, solid round wheels...they state they have steel hubs, but it's a steel washer jammed inside the plastic...I don't know if they will hold 1100 lbs. as advertised, but they are round enough to roll and haven't collapsed on me yet, cost about $8/ea.

I also have a large 24" crescent wrench, it's a big sucker and only cost about $30. It has worked 2 times and hasn't broke yet.
    Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 04-16-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: s/bit/big/g

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    ...I just figure it must be 2 week old Chinese food they pack the stuff in...
    Worse. China's solution to their hazardous waste disposal problem is to use it for lube in their exports.

(Not really, just a pet theory).
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Worse. China's solution to their hazardous waste disposal problem is to use it for lube in their exports.

(Not really, just a pet theory).
    You say not really, but the reality is it continues to happen more often than we would like to believe.

Japan has had a number of cases of harmful ingredients in food products originating from China. Japan is very cautious about what they buy from them for this very reason. And likewise, even the Chinese people are afraid to buy baby formula that is processed in China and try to buy Japanese baby formula, as there have been so many cases of babies with medical problems after consuming it.

So yeah, we can shrug it off and laugh about it, but the reality is China can't be trusted to align with any regulations when they manufacture or process products in China.

The smell in HF, at least the store in my area, is the rubber on the tires they sell.

I like the free LED lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
    The smell in HF, at least the store in my area, is the rubber on the tires they sell.
    You're mistaken, the 2 week old Chinese food is under the lead paint. Maybe it's in the tires also?

On the serious side, I do know that and will point out that I recently bought a Nova pedal for my welder. It is said to be better than the SSC as it uses a Japanese potentiometer in it. When I opened the box, the Chinesium smell damn near knocked me off my feet. The rubber cable provided the Eau de Chinesium...

If you buy an SSC, I bet it doesn't have that Eau de Chinesium...but I could be wrong, and have been before...

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    You say not really, but the reality is it continues to happen more often than we would like to believe.

Japan has had a number of cases of harmful ingredients in food products originating from China.
    US too. I recall the case of dog food that didn't have any protein. Rather, it contained a nutritionless plastic that showed 'protein' on standard animal feed tests. I think there have been other cases here too.

My comment about exporting hazardous waste as lube, is based on reading that buyers of inexpensive Jinma tractors from China soon learned they needed to change out the 'shipping oil' from engines and transmissions before use.

The stuff they drained out wasn't like any known automotive fluids.

I think there was one case where 'green coolant' was apparently just food coloring in water - the 'coolant' didn't float the antifreeze tester at all.

HF stuff is often good value but keep your eyes open.
    HF MIG-180 with all the mods.
    Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig Pulse 130/160.
    Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    US too. I recall the case of dog food that didn't have any protein. Rather, it contained a nutritionless plastic that showed 'protein' on standard animal feed tests. I think there have been other cases here too.

My comment about exporting hazardous waste as lube, is based on reading that buyers of inexpensive Jinma tractors from China soon learned they needed to change out the 'shipping oil' from engines and transmissions before use.

The stuff they drained out wasn't like any known automotive fluids.

I think there was one case where 'green coolant' was apparently just food coloring in water - the 'coolant' didn't float the antifreeze tester at all.

HF stuff is often good value but keep your eyes open.
    Yes, this sounds like the typical China shenanigans...