8 gauge extension cord good for a 220v mig welder?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

8 gauge extension cord good for a 220v mig welder?

Hi, would like to use a 220v mig welder in my barn. It is about 105' from my house. I have a roll of 8 gauge, 3 wire direct burry cable. Does anyone know if that will be good to make an extension cord out of?

Re: 8 gauge extension cord good for a 220v mig welder?

It would be ok for low amps but i would go with 6 or even 4 gauge wire for best results.. I had 75' to my welder and I used 6 but wish i would of went with the 4 now.. You could call your local welding store they can recomend the best thing for you..

Ive got about 60' of 8 gauge to my 220v, and so far everything has worked fine, but 105' is almost twice the distance.

Which machine do you have? Lincoln list wire size in the owners manual for up to 100ft 10ga is acceptable so I would say that you should be fine using 8ga. I have two 85ft cords made up for my two powermig 255's using 10ga, and have never had a problem. However if you have and older machine that draws more current it may take a bigger wire.

Graydevil, what problems are you having with the 6ga that makes you wish you had used 4ga?

Also I am talking COPPER wire, and not aluminum.
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

8 gauge copper UF cable is rated at 40 amps for most typical uses.
    Voltage drop shouldn't be an issue when drawing 40 amps at a length of around 100 feet.

So electrically, #8 UF copper is good for a 40 amp load.
    However, physically, #8 UF, with its stiff conductor and jacket, is not going to stand much rolling up, and therefore isn't the best choice for continuous extension cord duty.

Good Luck

You got the UF cable, why don't you just bury it, hard wire it at the house panel and install a receptical in the Barn ?
    DaKK

Quote Originally Posted by dakook View Post
    You got the UF cable, why don't you just bury it, hard wire it at the house panel and install a receptical in the Barn ?
    I thought about doing that, but then the barn would be the only place I could use it. I think if I make it an extension cord then I would have the freedom move it around to other places if I wanted to.

I don't have a welder yet, but I'll probably wind up getting a newer Linclon 220v mig.

The UF cable is not for extension cords
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

would 10 gauge be alright to wire a direct outlet straight from a 50 amp breaker to run a welder? Or will I need heavier wire? The machine would be a Hobart stickmate AC/DC.

Quote Originally Posted by yammyman View Post
    Ive got about 60' of 8 gauge to my 220v, and so far everything has worked fine, but 105' is almost twice the distance.

I think you’re approaching the problem backwards. The voltage has very little to do with the wire gauge. The run is 105 feet; we don’t know how much current the welder draws.
    We need to know the cable distance and the current load/ breaker size. Then we can lookup the wire gauge that will support thoes conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by 99trxrider View Post
    would 10 gauge be alright to wire a direct outlet straight from a 50 amp breaker to run a welder? Or will I need heavier wire? The machine would be a Hobart stickmate AC/DC.
    You are allowed per NEC to use 10g and a 50amp for a dedicated Welder outlet- Manual even has 12g as minimum.

If the run isn't that long I would just pull 6g and be done- then yer good for growth and don't have to worry about the circuit only being good for this machine.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

UF cable (outdoor Romex) is worse for extension cords than even NM cable (indoor Romex). These cables are far too stiff to be used for cords. They cause tripping hazards because they don't lay flat, and they will break from the constant flexing. They will also break down and discolor in sunlight, even the UF cable.

Plus you just look like an idiot to anyone who sees it. Sorry, but that's the truth.

A proper cord is not that much, and welding machines can use smaller gauges than you might at first think, but we don't yet KNOW the current draw of the machine. As mentioned, voltage is not the important number here.

I run 6 AWG for my drop. It's braided wire made for flexability. Works day in day out. Lighter might work, but I chose the heavier wire. It has sheathing made to withstand abrasion and UV. Voltage drop is probably minimal.

Spend the money. You'll be happier.

Mac, and Ed are good at this stuff, it's what they do. Worth listening to.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

I use 8 ga SOOJ or SOOW (I forget which) for my 220v extension cords on the truck.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Would 8 gauge work for a dedicated outlet? With no problems?

Quote Originally Posted by 99trxrider View Post
    Would 8 gauge work for a dedicated outlet? With no problems?
    Well since 12g will work for the Hobart stickmate AC/DC. then 8g will work
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

My hobart 180 Mig draws 19.5 Amps and ran on 12G until the extra 10/2w gnd came around. Now I have a yellow jacket extension cord from lowes for 72.00 100' 10 GA. after cutting the ends off and buying the plugs it's at 100.00 and thats cheap considering the elect supply wanted 1.60 ft for extension cord wire wow!!!!
    works really good and no more tripping on the damn wires and the jacket is almost indestructible this is definitely the way to go. and I have made pigtails for dryer plug to nema 6-50 and the old big stove plugs also now I can run my CH 60 Gal. compressor,plasma and mig almost anywhere,
    as the plasma has my 12 Ga. yellow jacket on the 110 side for roofing tin most of the time it's on 16 Amps....and my lincoln buzz box A/C 225 has like 10' of #4 on it big draw on the old thing better safe than sorry...
    especially when welding and it's 110 degrees all your wire ratings are good under like 90 or something like that... so you are pushing it with the smallest wire you can when its hot the wires can't cool off properly they actually get hotter get a yellow cord it runs cooler...... just my thoughts
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    79 F350 dump eats 4.75 TONS and still turns
    cutters,grinders,
    And a Hypertherm POWERMAX 30

Tony D, if you're using the yellow jacket 100' cord that Lowe's and Home Depot sell with 125v twist-lock plug ends on it, to run your 220v 180 mig, you're using the wrong cord. That cord is made for 125 volt 20 amp duty. You're increasing it's load by 2 running it in a 250 volt 20 amp application. You need to go buy the black 300v SO cord they sell in bulk lengths if you want to run 250v service through it.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

I have one of older welders and it would get hot and over heat. A friend of mine is an electrition and he brought his cable that he made that 4g and wired it in on my panel and ran it out to my welder and it worked fine never over heated i welded for about an hour and never had to stop with my lighter wire that i have i get about 30 min and then i have to let it cool down.. Thats why i would go bigger and bigger is sometimes better.