Looking for Twin Carbon Arc Rods
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Looking for Twin Carbon Arc Rods

I am new to welding and have a old carbon arc torch that I would like to try, but have only one carbon rod with it. I can't seem to find anyone on the internet or local welding supply that sells them. Several people have told me that carbon arc gouging rods are not the same thing. Does anyone know where I can purchase these or does anyone have an old box they would like to sell?

Re: Looking for Twin Carbon Arc Rods

Quote Originally Posted by newelder View Post
    . . .have a old carbon arc torch that I would like to try, but have only one carbon rod with it. . . .
    Copper clad carbon rods are a stock item at any serious welding supply.

For a test run, you could snap your one carbon in two.

Good Luck

I have one of those arc welders...The carbon arc gouging rods work on mine
    just fine......

I'm new here,but I also have a carbon arc torch that I "inherited" from my late father-in-law. It is a Craftsman (Sears, I assume), and I would like to know if there is any manual or info on the tool. It seems to be in good shape, but I don't know anything, I mean anything, about it, or how to use it. Any direction towards an operators manual would be appreciated. Thanks in advance............
    Nctox,
    Stickmate LX 235AC/160DC
    HH210

Here is the manual that came with that unit. 4 pages. The thing is supposed to get 9000 degrees, which sounds good, but you have to really practice with this thing to learn it. I know that the original docs at lincolnelectric.com say that it will "weld" aluminum and other alloys. Let me know if you have any tips. I like the ancient technology aspect of this unit and the fact that I can keep my trusty old AC225, which I will probably have until I die and then hand it down. No need for DC (and all the extra circuitry that can break) Just grab your stick and go. I am trying to find some advice myself on whether or not to try and work it with the stinger hot or just weld with the torch and filler metal? There is some technique I am missing out on for sure. The manual tells you to use your work and stinger clamps to attach the torch to the machine, so I am assuming no hot stinger is needed. So when I can figure out how to get it hot enough to weld aluminum I'll let you know, but I'm not seeing it happening right now. Anyway, why would lincoln and sears both state you could 'weld' aluminum with it if you couldn't. The guy I bought it from last week said he did aluminum repairs on an airplane with it and it worked fine. I asked him how he did it and he said he forgot, that it was over 20 years ago???
    Ok, having trouble with uploading attachments........
    Email me @ kuhner.tim@gmail.com if you want the manual.

Arcair or Airgas carries the rods.